Color Experts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise

Reaction score
This little guy was born last week from a bay leopard sire and a sorrel leopard mare. He looks silver to me, is lightening up around the eyes. Has a darker stripe running down his back.

000_1013.jpg

I am not an expert, but I agree with you. He looks silver to me. He definetly has some silver in there somewhere though!

Last edited by a moderator:
The foal coats are extra confusing for me, but he does look silver and is oh, so cute. Congratulations! Any chance his dam is a silver bay leopard who's color was mis-identified?

Actually mom was registered as a palomino??? Thats her right behind him. The previous owner got her registered as the sorrel leopard. I checked on the sire- he is a bay roan leopard. Now with the dark stripe down his back wouldnt that be the dun factor?

No, Silvers often have false dorsal stripes.

I have to say the mare looks Grey to me,with flea bites, not Appy, but maybe it is not a very good picture??

Anyway if she is Red base she can easily have Silver as it does not show on Red.

Thus she could be Sorrel, or Palomino or even Grey so long as she was Red at birth!!

Pretty foal, congratulations!!

Mom looks true gray, baby is a silver dapple

hello,

could you all tell me what color you think this filly is? her papers say palomino.

dscn8775.jpg

picture below is the filly in 2004 after she was shaved

HPNX0633_0066.jpg

thanks melissa

Hello,

I am trying to update a photo of my filly. what color is this filly/

dscn8775.jpg

below picture is 2004 after she was shaved. amha papers says she is palomino.

HPNX0633_0066.jpg

i hope the pictures work this time if not someone please tell me why to upload the photos.

thanks melissa

HELLO,

I AM TRYING TO UPLOAD PHOTOS OF MY MINI FILLY.

melissa

Hello,

I think i figure out how to update the photos of my mini filly. I will upload a photo of her in 2004 after she was shaved

HPNX0633_0066.jpg

the pictures below is a picture i took last week sept 14, 2006. AMHA papers said palomino.What you all think her color is?Her dam is a sorrel and white pinto sire is a palomino.

dscn8775.jpg

thanks for you all help with this.

melissa

Hello,

what color do you think this filly is? SHE WAS BORN BAY. HER DAM IS BAY HER SIRE IS GREY.

PICTURE BEFORE SHE WAS SHAVED

DSCN8332.jpg

picture as of sept 14, 2006

dscn8810.jpg

picture from about a month ago of her face

dscn8716.jpg

This little guy was born last week from a bay leopard sire and a sorrel leopard mare. He looks silver to me, is lightening up around the eyes. Has a darker stripe running down his back.

000_1013.jpg
I agree with RabbitFizz on this one....the mare looks more Flea-bitten Gray to me. The foal does look to be Silver Dapple...and also seems to have a "roaning look" going on underneith. So, the foal could be roaning...or it could be graying, if the dam is a gray. And yes, "false" dorsals are common on Silver foals, as well as on Appys as they roan.

There are so many "unkowns" with the parents, it is hard to give a difinitive answer on the foals' possible coloring.

Is the mare a true gray...or an actual Sorrel Leopard?

Is the sire a true roan, or appy roan?

Hello,

what color do you think this filly is? SHE WAS BORN BAY. HER DAM IS BAY HER SIRE IS GREY.

DSCN8332.jpg

dscn8810.jpg

dscn8716.jpg

This filly appears to be a bay who is graying.
default_yes.gif
:

I agree with those who think the mare is grey. She looks like a flea bitten grey to my eyes, which I think is a beautiful color!

The foal looks silver dapple to me.

000_1013.jpg
I agree with RabbitFizz on this one....the mare looks more Flea-bitten Gray to me. The foal does look to be Silver Dapple...and also seems to have a "roaning look" going on underneith. So, the foal could be roaning...or it could be graying, if the dam is a gray. And yes, "false" dorsals are common on Silver foals, as well as on Appys as they roan.

There are so many "unkowns" with the parents, it is hard to give a difinitive answer on the foals' possible coloring.

Is the mare a true gray...or an actual Sorrel Leopard?

Is the sire a true roan, or appy roan?

Hello,

DSCN8332.jpg

dscn8810.jpg

dscn8716.jpg

This filly appears to be a bay who is graying.
default_yes.gif
:
Thanks for you help about my bay turning grey filly. what about the palomino filly color one.

thanks melissa

Hello,

could someone tell me the difference in a silver buckskin genetics and a palomino?My mini filly at is listed here amha papers says palomino,but I have others say different. I would like someone to post the difference in the two.

What color foals does silver buckskin throw? What color foals does palomino throw? We are wanting to breed this filly for 2007 foal, what color stud should we breed her to get pinto foal. This filly dam is a sorrel and white pinto and the sire is a palomino.

thanks melissa

HELLO,

DOES SOMEONE HAVE A PALOMINO FILLY PICTURE TO POST FOR ME ALONG WITH A SILVER BUCKSKIN PICTURES?

THANKS MELISSA

Hello,

could someone tell me the difference in a silver buckskin genetics and a palomino?My mini filly at is listed here amha papers says palomino,but I have others say different. I would like someone to post the difference in the two.

What color foals does silver buckskin throw? What color foals does palomino throw? We are wanting to breed this filly for 2007 foal, what color stud should we breed her to get pinto foal. This filly dam is a sorrel and white pinto and the sire is a palomino.

thanks melissa

HELLO,

DOES SOMEONE HAVE A PALOMINO FILLY PICTURE TO POST FOR ME ALONG WITH A SILVER BUCKSKIN PICTURES?

THANKS MELISSA

I also think your filly is a Silver Buckskin. The coloring isn't evident in her younger photo...but it is in the older picture of her. In that one, you can see the darker coloring on her lower legs (knees) and in her mane.

A Silver Buckskin is basically a Bay horse who has gotten one copy of the creme gene making it a Buckskin. It also has gotten the Silver gene...which "lightens" the black areas (mane, tail & lower legs). Instead of being black, they will be varying shades lighter. The manes & tails can range from almost white to a light chocolate color, but the lower legs will usually still show a darker color that is distinguishable from the body..

A Palomino is a chestnut/sorrel horse who has gotten one copy of the creme gene, making it a Palomino with white mane & tail. Palominos can also carry Silver...but would not show it.

hello,

could you all send pictures of a palomino and a buckskin for us to see the difference?

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IN THE COLORS WHEN HAVING FOALS? WHAT COLOR SHOULD I BREED THIS MARE TO GET NICE PINTO FOALS.

THANKS MELISSA

I don't even want to pretend to know a lot about genetics, but I agree that my first thought on the mare was that she looked like a flea-bitten. However, my first thought on the foal was that he had the dark points around the ears and I immediately wondered about any type of dun factor going on. Then when she mentioned the dorsal stripe (even though I know many are actually countershading) I wondered if he could possiblly be silver dun????? I have had or seen 6 different foals by my stallion that were silvers. 2 red silvers, 2 blues and 2 choc., none of them had the dark ear rings, not even the red silvers. I'm not saying thay can't, don't or won't but I was just curious as I had never seen it in any of my guy's offspring. Again, I was just curious. I guess the only real way to know for sure at this age is to have him tested. No matter what the color, I'm sure you'll have fun with him just the same
default_yes.gif
:

HELLO,

I AM SORRY IF I ENTER THIS POST ABOUT MY FILLIES COLORS. I WAS THINKING ANYONE COULD POST ON THE SAME THREAD. I DID NOT KNOW EACH PERSON NEEDS TO POST THEIR OWN THREAD.

SORRY,

MELISSA

Latest posts

Back