Color enhancing question....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technicolor Pony

Reaction score
Probably a silly question, but.....Is there anything you give your horses in their feed that you feel really helps bring out or deepen their color? I know BOSS is good for the coat and makes them shine like crazy, but is there anything else? We feed a complete pellet feed and beet pulp with Jiggs/Tipton Hay.

Also, do you find buckskins (and dilutes in general) get darker or lighter with age? We have several dilutes, and was just curious.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I also like ground flax seed (prefer it over BOSS). It brings out the bloom and the gold tones
default_yes.gif

Well l'm not a BOSS or spray on shine fan and stick to the flax and tons of rubbing with burlap for shine. For the color thing in the last 2 years l've used Paprika starting with 1/2 teaspoon added to beetpulp around March and work to a full teaspoon by mid April and thats on my fave guy a buckskin. l'm going to say it makes a differance for me because usually the first clip he would be really washed out pale looking color wise for the first week or so...now he just clips out to the deep color he is when he isn't clipped.

I started my silver bay on Grand Coat and right now, she is the darkest she's ever been. It has really brought out the dark tones in her coat and she's never been this dark and rich colored going into winter. So far, I am really happy with it.

Jen

Flax here too, but I have heard it can bring out some dark hairs on a light coat with some. I did see that with one of my boys, but still worth it. Really puts a shine on them even in winter hair and they love it.

I use Omega Horseshine and I've definatly seen a difference in coat color and its much more shiny.

Flaxseed here too! Even the white will shine.

I haven't had dark hairs come into lighter coats.....but, all colors will intensify. With the pally's I find they tend to darken slightly with age but, some years they are just lighter/darker than others. They have been on same feeds, so maybe just my own aging memory
default_laugh.png

Pepperica, I heard a teaspoon of this in your horses feed will greatly enhance the golden color in palominos and buckskins. My friend uses it and I've never seen a palomino so rich in color.

It is the main ingredient in a supplement that is used to enhance palominos, and this way its much cheaper.

Believe it or not a daily wormer will really help too! Our palomino was almost orange last summer he was so golden - and this was with a tight bodyclip.

I've seen results on daily wormer. We are in the process of putting our horses back on daily wormer. I'll give the paprika a try too... I hope. I really want to bring out the color... especially in our buckskin... he is just really pale.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions!

Chris

Take pictures now, then update the pictures every so often and post for us!

flaxseed works. I tried paprika on all 4 of my palominos no difference for me.

How much ground flax seed do you add for a 32-33" mini, and once or twice aday? Thanks, TJ

I use 1 Tablespoon twice a day. You will be able to see a shine in about a month maybe 2.

Latest posts

Back