color and pattern help.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangoMango

Reaction score
This is the guy I got from our local auction, he was very skinny, covered in lice and hadnt had a hoof trim in who knows how long.

He is an Hobby Horses's Apache King son, and his papers call his color Golden Sorrel-Appaloosa/Flaxen mane and Tail/Blue eyes/Blanket/Blaze, I was wondering what other patterns he might be carrying. He has 2 blue eyes, and a large blaze and 2 small hind socks, so Im thinking splash, but I dont know anything about Appy patterns. IN his white areas, he has dark spots, and in his dark areas he has white spots.

Please excuse the crappy clip job, I had to do it because of the lice.

Thanks

IMG_4025.jpg

IMG_4021.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

IMG_4031.jpg

IMG_4023.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

It's really difficult to tell base coat color on appies as appy tends to scew colors a bit (like sabino). Appy also tends to lighten manes and tails. He is either silver bay or chestnut and appy along with splash. good luck with him! Glad he has a good home now
default_smile.png

Thanks, he was such a good boy, he stood like a statue while we were clipping him, except for the times we hit a really itchy spots and and he started bobbing his head up and down and pulling the happy lips face.

IM trying to decide what appy patterns he has. I think snowflake and blanket?

From what I understand from my Appaloosa Project reading, that's not considered a blanket. Appy seems to work from rump to front. Varnish/snowflake (just a variation of each other) is a characteristic of LP (like mottling, striped hooves, etc). The spots are caused by a minor PATN gene (PATN gives you spots, PATN-1 is the big one that causes leopard patterning). This boy has a minor PATN gene (probably connected to his pinto markings) that are giving those small, scattered spots that have worked from rump on forward. A blanket has uniformity, this boys does not. So just an appaloosa with spots on his rump and varnishing/snowflakes. He was probably born solid and then his characteristics become more expressed as he aged.

I agree with ohmt. I've also read the Appaloosa Project and to me he looks like a varnish/snowflake appy. The dark spots on his rump could have come from the varnish affect. The basic coat color gets kind of bleached out and some spots tend to just show up because the varnish affect doesn't effect spots. We have a mare that's starting to do that. Color wise, I agree with his papers.

Tend not to agree on this one- I think that is a blanket. The "snowflaking" could be varnish, but it could be affected by Sabino as well. There is definitely Splash and Splash and Sabino normally go together. Base colour could be anything, I think not Bay, though, although, tbh it could be sky blue pink!

Thank heavens you got him and he is on track for a better life, on his behalf, I thank you.

he is handsome fellow. I glad he got a good home. I hope he recovers well. keep us posted

Thanks everyone, I though paint patterns were confusing, but Appy patterns are crazy!

Latest posts

Back