Cold weather "barn gear"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
While we're not having snow like some parts of the country, our temperatures have dropped well below normal. It was only 41 when I went out to feed the girls @ 7:00am this morning. This has me thinking about the outerwear I'll need as we head into even colder days.

The one thing I know I'll need more than anything is good warm footwear and gloves. The gloves need to provide warmth but allow for mobility of my fingers so I can do chores like open and close feed cans, scoop feed, groom, pick hooves, etc. Do you have any particular gloves you have found that make your cold weather chores more bearable?

Otherwise, I plan to dress in multiple layers using old clothing already in my stockpile. I'm considering possibly something from Land End's or the like...one of their high rated warmth coats that has minimal bulk.

What else would you recommend that I might not have considered? What sage advice would you have for newcomer's like me and their first winter of caring for horses?

My standing joke these days is that I'm apologizing to all my friends and acquaintances for the miserable winter we're about to have. We have had incredibly mild winters here in the mid-Atlantic region for several years now. It is my firm belief that now that I have 4 horses to care for (that will force me to spend some time outside in the cold daily), we are destined for a cold, snowy, wet winter this year!

default_laugh.png

From the Colorado mountains.

I wear jeans, thermal shirts, a Carhartt vest and a pair of Carhartt (or similiar brand) overalls. The Teddy bear kind that zip up the front.

I dont know why, but I wear running gear type shoes. I find that boots are a pain, even in the deep snow.

A good stocking cap and gloves complete the outfit. I prefer the brown cotton work gloves with the little rubber pimples on the palm and fingers.

That is my whole outfit for below zero feeding and working.

We wouldn't survive without Carhartt!

We've already started wearing our heavy Carhartt jackets with hoods. I wear muck boots year round......and am now wearing heavier socks. I also wear leather gloves year round, but now am wearing ones that are lined.

Very soon I will be pulling out the wool scarf, a stocking cap to wear under my hood, and the Carhartt coveralls.

Our mornings these last few days have been in the 20's.......When things get into the single digits for breakfast feedings, the coveralls are a requirement!

Last edited by a moderator:
Insulated Carhartt Overalls and the cheaper knock off cabela's brand jackets, I always wears the cuffs out on the jackets. Boots, well, I am still looking for a pair that will outlast me. Went through a pair of Clarks muck style boots in 5 months, I went through two pairs of the LLbean storm chasers. Open to any suggestions any of you have on foot wear....

Ive got the muck boot shoe and I need to upgrade to the boot for the winter. I got my first pair of these suckers this past spring and I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!

I wear jeans, tshirt, hooded sweatshirt then my insulated Carthartt coveralls with my hood up over a stocking cap. I wear leather gloves with thinsulate and a pair of Sorrel thick insulated side zip winter boots with warm thick socks inside. I have tried a lot of variations but the insulated coveralls are the best!!! On super cold days, I tie a warm scarf around my head covering my nose and mouth and get the chores done fast!! It gets pretty cold here in MN in the winter...

For really cold weather I use a insulated military winter jacket... I haven't yet found another jacket that is this waterproof, wears like iron, windproof, blackberry proof, keeps you nicely warm without over heating and doesn't show green horse gobbers.
default_laugh.png

Not in fashion I know but it works well.

Bottoms I wear long underwear, sweats and these super soft mernio wool socks and plain muck boots. One of these days I want to get some tall insulated boot Mudruckers.(think that is how you spell that brand name??)

I use "Ear Bags" on my ears and my ugly old brown hat.

Now of course if I had people over to visit all the time I would have to get something nicer looking but since I am a homebody.. the horses don't care as long as they are fed and kept groomed!

I am so glad I live up here where nobody can see what I wear!

I'm very much challenged in my winter wear clothes. I just want to get out the door and get to the barn without a bunch of who-ha getting dressed. I hate heavy bulky things and I can't stand taking forever to dress in layers so last year I got a Carhart jacket from Tractor Supply. I got a men's tall because after trying on the lady sizes, the men's tall come down a lot longer and cover my freezing behind. Only thing is that I have plenty of sleeves left over for another set of hands but I don't care. I'm more worried about my hiney turning into a couple of frozen basket balls and cracking in half forever.

My camo mucker boots are from Walmart, only worn a couple of times... Hate sitting there messing with laces but they are warm and don't leak also but they are slippery. I also prefer my running shoes on most days. My gloves are also from Walmart, the insullated ones and they are bulky but don't leak when I do the water so that's a good thing. Last but not least I always wear my OJ knit hat. Love my collection of knit hattys. I get really bad ear aches without them.

I have pink and purple plad muck boots I just slip my stocking feet into and I have a light jacket I throw on. I am not much for coats. Even when it is in the single digits. Oh yeh, I do use those knit gloves you can get 2 pair for $1.

Flannel lined jeans, keep me warm and am only pulling on one thing.

My gloves come from Mountain Gear, are thin, way warm, and can handle anything, open latches easy.

I wear ski pants on the bottom and they are better than my Carharts. Nothing sticks to them. My carharts get wet then the hay sticks to them. I throw a lot of hay as we have 10 percherons plus my minis. I love my ski pants they are very warm.

Heidi I thought about sharring our Canadian pal Nancy teaching us about layers too but I didn't have the guts.

I should have figured you would! hehehe
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Silk next to the skin, definately the absolute warmest thing...then layer over that. Gawd...what DID we do before polar fleece? I do not like heavy clothing, and bulk, so don't dress too heavily...ya gotta love that thinsulate too.

I usually wear my lined crocks, or runners as long as I can, but once the snow hits, I like tall boots that tie at the knee...and are super light. I just got a great pair last year at Marks Work Wearhouse; you'd hardly know you had boots on, they are so light, yet they keep my feet perfectly warm and dry.

And leather gloves...again, silk, or thinsulate as lining. I hate-hate-hate fake leather, wool or fabric gloves or mittens. Leather, even when wet, will keep your hands warmer than anything I know, and maintains it's grip.

I cannot do u-tube with my ancient computer, and dial-up, but I am a Canadian,
default_saludando.gif
and can just imagine the layering you are talking about...I have lived it all my life.
default_laugh.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

When it gets REALLY cold (this 32-40 is only cool), I start with long underwear, then long sleeve shirts and maybe a sweatshirt over that then my (down over the butt) car coat from the 2nd hand store, jeans, heavy socks, ear muffs, thinsulate gloves with fingerless mittens (the ones that have a little cap over the fingers or you can take the cap off) over the gloves and boots if it's snowing or leather tennis if it's just cold. I really really hate the cold and snow but I'm staying here because I hate big spiders and snakes
default_new_shocked.gif
(in the south) more!

it gets pretty cold here too "swiss alps"....-22 C I wear ski pants, a hat , wool scarf, 2 or 3 sweaters, and long johns under my ski pants. Oh and 2 pair of socks and wellies. However ,if I go quickly in the night to check on them , I have been seen by neighbors in my pink Pj s and robe. This morning I fed in my PJs , I am not sure who saw me , its nothing new for the neighbors. Ya know , the uglier you look in the morning at feeding time the more respect the neighbors seem to have for you. I live in a ruel farming town , where its usually the women who get their butts out of bed to feed the sheep and goats, so when they see you doing the same , and looking somewhat miserable, it tends to be sort of a female bonding thing. We had over 9 meters of snow last year when the snow gets that high , it becomes hard work just making your way through it.

krissy

Last edited:
Muck brand boots, lots of the catalogs have them. They are insulated, waterproof and actually comfortable (but heavy), and last years. Couldn't live without them in wet and cold weather. Keeping my feet warm and dry is most essential, beyond that if it's really cold I layer with silk long johns, jeans and I do have some insulated Carhhart overalls for really extreme weather. We don't get a lot of that though and they are so heavy I'm worn out by the time I've fed LOL. I have an old cashmere wool hat that's not pretty but keeps my head warm.

I prefer leather gloves too, but they are worthless when they get wet. I keep trying to find some good warm waterproof gloves, but I'm still looking after all these years....

Jan

Sportsman's Guide is my best friend in the winter. I have boots from there called GuideGear Mukluks. They are leather, lined and waterproof. I've stepped in puddles 6" deep and never got wet feet. My pants are polar fleece lined jeans also bought from SG. I have a Carhartt hooded jacket that is also fleece lined. Gloves for me have always been an issue. Don't like 'em.

Latest posts

Back