Cold weather "barn gear"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
l wear a one piece snowmobile suit and ice fishing boots l like wool mittens and sometimes wear 2 pairs when it's really cold and l have to use the shovel..

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my! Nancy Today had me cackling!!!! I still don't buy it that you can keep very warm in a dress...I don't care if you're wearing 5 at a time!

All of this has been great input. Unless something goes really crazy, the worst we'll get is a few days of 0-20 degree weather. Are winters generally hang in the 30's.

I think I definitely need to find some lined jeans. And boots...gotta get me some good boots.

Thanks everyone! And keep it coming!

Ski pants!!! I cant believe there isnt more replies on them. They just slip over your pjs in the am, and pants at night. I bought 3 pairs this past spring at Walmart 5 bucks each. Love them, like previously posted everything just slides off of them, including snow if you happen to make a snow angel
default_biggrin.png

I really really hate the cold and snow but I'm staying here because I hate big spiders and snakes
default_new_shocked.gif
(in the south) more!
Me, too! I'll take the cold over snakes and big spiders. We have a few harmless large snakes, but that's just fine.

I'd take more snakes and spiders for less humidity. Bleck!

I'm originally from Ohio and I miss real snow and having a real spring and a real fall.

I live in northern Canada so we get really cold temps. Usually a couple of weeks of -40c and colder but on average -25c to - 35c so I have to dress real warm. I start out with one piece polar fleece long johns, then sweat shirt and sweat pants. Over that I wear a 1 piece pair of coveralls like carharts, a scarf that wraps around twice, a toque, isulated leather gloves and my beloved Sorels, the glacier boot style. They have lasted me 15 years and still going strong. Oh ya, 2 pairs of wool socks.

Ski pants!!! I cant believe there isnt more replies on them. They just slip over your pjs in the am, and pants at night.
Here too! I couldn't live without my ski pants in winter. Slip them on over jeans, sweats and pj's as needed!!! My clothes underneath stay clean and I stay toasty warm!
default_smile.png

Fleece everything. And lots of layers of it! Fleece jackets, gloves, socks. Ski socks are nice, scarf, ear muffs, sometimes lightweight (not too bulky) ski pants. Brrrrr.....

I keep trying to find some good warm waterproof gloves, but I'm still looking after all these years....
I have tried the neoprene fishing gloves, but they are too big. I am going to look into some scuba gloves, I think they might work.

I am all for the walmart deals on stall clothes. I purchased a ski jacket for 10 bucks one year , and its the best jacket. Washes like a dream , and the filling stays in place , it has lasted a lot longer then the expensive jackets . WPSELLWOOD ... I am going to ask my mom to send me some ski pants from Walmart, and send them here, thanks for the tip ! . Does wallmart have online shopping ?

I love my carharrt coat(its a mans, to cover my butt) and my Ariat winter boots. My feet NEVER get cold when I wear them!

Robin

There are polar-fleece lined jeans?!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
Must...have...some!
default_drool5.gif

The problem with polar fleece jackets and such in my area is that the static electricity graduates to staggering proportions during the winter and the horses get very tired of me shocking them every time I try to offer a pet.
default_rolleyes.gif
I use old ski parkas and other nylon- or slick-lined coats so it slides easily over my layers of sweaters, tshirts and long undewear tops, long underwear under my thick jeans, two pairs of normal socks with thick wool socks over top and then a pair of knee-high neoprene-topped muck boots over all of that. If it's snowing then ski pants go over top of that and get cinched down over the boot tops. A wool hat is a must of course, it keeps the barn dust out of my hair and keeps me much warmer. I had this great set of waterproof gloves that I adored but they wore out and I can't get any more so I'm back to lined leather gloves that I have to take off in order to feed.
default_sad.png
The boys are on lots of meds with small scoops I can't pick up with gloves on and I can't stand using mittens or any sort of fabric glove at the barn as the hay and horse hair stick to them like velcro.
default_shutup.gif

When I drive the horses in the winter a waterproof lap robe is a must. It makes things so much more comfortable!

Leia

Latest posts

Back