Clippers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Equine09

Reaction score
I'm buying clippers soon and since I haven't had the best of luck with body clipping in the past due to the clippers,I want to get a really good quality brand.I know the really good ones cost about $250+ but my question was what do you guys use and prefer and how much did they cost?

Thanks,

Arianne.

I love using my Double K 401 for body clipping. Cost closer to 300$ i think now. The cord is a pain in the neck sometimes to work with but it is worth it to me. I keep my Oster A5's for doing the face as it is easier to use there since i have a touch of arthritis in my hands.

I just purchased the Double K's and have only used the A5 prior. I have only clipped one mini. It did a really nice job with NO tracks.

I am another one that has and loves my Double K clippers.

I used Wahl Stable Pro for many years and if you are just doing one horse it is fine.

But you had to take breaks to let the clippers cool. Or at least I did. I am not that fast with body clipping.

Thanks everyone,I'll probably invest in a Double K clipper. I'll most likely only be clipping one horse but I want to get the best results and get clippers that last a while so Double K's look good!

Arianne

I love our Wahl KM-2's. They do great for bodyclipping and you can buy the wide blades to do it with. They don't get hot too quickly....and if the blades get hot, just snap another pair on! I think ours are 5 or 6 years old and still run great...and they've done MANY MANY clip jobs. They are well under $150 I think and worth every penny!

Jen

I don't have a lot of horses to show, and I also only show locally, so I didn't invest in Double Ks. I got Wahl Stable Pro, and I love them! They are quiet, clip right through, and also didn't cost me an arm and a leg. I love them!
default_yes.gif
:

I love our Wahl KM-2's. They do great for bodyclipping and you can buy the wide blades to do it with. They don't get hot too quickly....and if the blades get hot, just snap another pair on! I think ours are 5 or 6 years old and still run great...and they've done MANY MANY clip jobs. They are well under $150 I think and worth every penny!

Jen
I have the Wahl KM-2s and they work great. I body clipped my stallion with them last year and with the wide blade they went through his hair pretty quickly. [FYI - I didn't bathe first, so it was a dirty clip.]

Everybody shed out pretty well on their own this year, so I didn't body clip, just head and neck to cool them off during an early warm spell.

I bought the Double K clippers a few months ago and I love them. The Double K's do the job quick and takes the hair right off. The cable does get in the way but it is worth it for the cut you get.

I bought Double K clippers last year - they do a nice job - but lately I am finding that they get hot really quickly - does anybody have any ideas on why that may be? Otherwise - they do a really nice job and are easy to hold because the clipper itself is lightweight. The cord can be a pain when you are clipping foals legs, etc.

I have never written this before and I know I am in the minority here, but I HATE my Double K's. The cable is so heavy that I can't control them and I leave tracks all over the horse. The blades get hot so often that I change blades constantly. I have them serviced every year and I have all of my blades sharpened regularly. I have had them for about two years. and finally decided to invest in something different. I bought the Andis Cordless( The ones that run around $200). They are not as powerful as the Double K's but I sure like using them a whole lot more. I will probably buy some other Andis corded clippers in a few months and my Double K's will be for sale.

I bought Double K clippers last year - they do a nice job - but lately I am finding that they get hot really quickly - does anybody have any ideas on why that may be? Otherwise - they do a really nice job and are easy to hold because the clipper itself is lightweight. The cord can be a pain when you are clipping foals legs, etc.
i've noticed a lot of people have commented on hot clippers or blades. neither should get hot. if they do, that's because they aren't being maintained properly....

make sure you use oil, blade wash and clipper coolant. i know on the oster A5's....just under the face plate on the outside is a little silver circle....if you push that in with a pin and put oil in, it'll probably suck it right up. that spot should be oiled BEFORE the clippers are ever used when they are first opened....then periodically there after....how often depends on how much you use them....when you put oil in that spot it then travels to the "wick"....this being oiled properly and often enough, you should notice a difference with the heat. oiling the blades with help with heat also.

always blade wash before you first use a clipper blade....either brand new or a sharpened one. most blades are packaged with a special coating...the blade wash removes that coating....if it's not blade washed then your blades will go dull faster. also, blade wash inbetween haveblades sharpened...you'll find they last longer overall.

and then the lube....i like the andis cool care.....disinfects, cools, lube, etc all in one. i use lube a lot....helps keep the blade cooler.

the clippers i'm currently using are the oster 76's....they're actually made for people. they are comparable to the oster A5's....i'm work in a salon and got a "broken" pair and had them fixed up...they work great. they retail $175-200..blades cost $22-25.

hope this helps.
default_smile.png

I have been grooming for a very long time. I used to be a pet groomer (dogs, cats, ferrets and horses). I DO NOT like Double K's. The cable is too cumbersome. :no: I think they get too hot.

I also have an Oster Golden A5 that I really don't like very much because they are too big in my hand. They also get hot.

I have a Wahl cordless set that have never worked properly.

I have a basic Andis clipper set that I love.
default_wub.png
: They are lightweight and fit my hand. They are maintenance free. The cost was less than $60.00 new. When they wear out I will replace them with a new set of Andis.

Just my opinion.
default_yes.gif
:

Marlene

Last edited by a moderator:
I also love the Wahl KM-2. I bought Double K clipper this year and hate it.

I bought the Double K's with 12' cable & clipped 3 horses the first summer I had them. I like them fine, though I like them better with the Andis blades than I do with the Laube blades I got last year. However, I'm kind of regretting buying them--I paid A LOT of money for them (at the time I got them the US exchange rate was still quite high & that really adds to the price) and now they hang in a closet unused, because last year I bought a Wahl Chromado cordless (can be corded too) & I use that for all my clipping. For what I paid for the Double K's I could have had two of the Wahls, plus a few spare blades--I'm doing a lot of clipping with this set of Wahls--usually I clip dirty horses too--and they do real well for me.

When I did use my Double K's I didn't have a problem with them heating up; seems to me someone has mentioned before that if they are getting hot too quickly it's often because you're clipping at too slow a speed?

We have 3 sets of the Andis AGc super 2 speed clippers. They use the A5 blades and can use the wider blades if you like. I only use the 1 1/2 inch. My husband has and older pair of andis clippers and with those 4 sets, we can go all day by just switching blades and/or clippers and letting things cool off. We clipped about 25 minis this spring and didn't bathe any of them before we clipped. We did brush and vacumn a bit first, but that doesn't do a whole lot to get the winter dirt out. We would do about 4 of these little ones a day. They wouldn't be show ready, but fairly presentable. I like the Andis because I can hold them for hours without my hand getting sore cause they seems lighter than some of the others we have tried. I never have tried the double K's though--so they may be better.

Forgot to say that I got them from Jeffers equine. You can find them at www.jeffersequine.com and they are $130 there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back