Chiropractors

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Wood

Reaction score
Well since I"m snowed in :arg! (at least we're up to 1 degree), I figured I'd ask....

Do you believe in Chiropractors? Do they help you or not.
default_rolleyes.gif

I may only be 16, but have problems with my back.

I don't like the idea of a chiropractor that just "snaps" things back into place. I go to what is a massage therapist who massages and stretches the body to getting the joints back inot place.

I believe in GOOD chiropractors...but unfortunately they are few and far between....they are out there though. The 'good' ones shouldn't have you coming back week after week, month after month....jmo

~kathryn

Yes I fully believe in alternative medicine. Chiropractors do some great pain relief. I have been some ( dont have alot of issues) My hubby goes more often as his back goes out, our chiro fixes him right up! If your neck or back are out it can cause many things with your body besides back or neck pain..

IMO- MDs so much of the time just give you drugs to mask the pain, not fix the problem. Of course not everyone gets addicted..

I have also heard great things about animal chiropractors-havent used myself but I would do it if needed...

I didn't use to believe.......my husband (for 5 or 6 years) would always say to me "go to my chiro., he WILL help you.". Ignorant me would always so no, I dont believe in them. He would then reply, You dont believe in feeling good? LOL. So, after I fell off one of my big horses, I went for an adjustment (had broken my clavicle, tore rotaote cuff, broke the coracoid bone in shoulder and tore bicep). He got me on my way to feeling better in no time, and I still go to him for adjustments 5 years later.....I see him more in winter, usually after a fall on the ice.
default_wacko.png

So yes, find a reputable one (ask for refrences, word of mouth doesn't lie.... we all know that!
default_wink.png
) and also I would find one that does x-rays, mine does and it makes a lot of sense to know what is going on in there, before you start "fixin" things.

Oh yes, edited to add: my dogs also get adjustments, and my vet had recomended it for my seizure dog. It sure helped Frank (dog) a lot, and made one of my elder dogs a lot more energetic. they go several times a year........

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, I believe in going to the chiropractor; my chiropractor has helped me a lot over the years. The important thing is to get a good one, and unfortunately there are some bad ones out there. I won't go to one that is rough, or takes the attitude that whatever part he's working on MUST move. Sometimes my chiropractor will try an adjustment, and nothing really does move--and he leaves it at that. Mine does not have me coming back over and over again.

I went to one once--he wasn't a new practitioner but was new to my neighborhood, and out of convenience I thought I'd try him. He was so stuck on his own importance and right up front he told me that he wanted to see me two or 3 times a week for the first couple weeks, then it would be once a week for the next x many weeks....no way. I did not go back to him. I do not need to go to a chiropractor that often. Mine will sometimes tell me he wants to see me again in 3 days, but most often he'll do one adjustment and then tell me to see how that does, and then if things still aren't right, call for another appointment.

after a car accident when I was 18 I had a lot of shoulder problems that following summer. I did try going to a chiropractor, but in that case it did not help me. When I got no relief after a couple of visits I switched to a physiotherapist, and she got my problem fixed up. So, different conditions do call for different treatments.

My mom has severe arthritis in her back--and a good chiropractor will not work on her. A "good" chiropractor will recognize that some conditions are best if not treated by a chiropractor--and will admit it to the patient.

YES........I believe in a good chiropractor and I've had both good and bad.

The good one worked on my left knee and successfully kept me from not having my knee rebuilt surgically.

The bad one (years prior) worked on an on-the-job shoulder injury. I still deal with it. By the time my GOOD chiropractor was able to look at it, the muscles that had torn away from my spine had healed back wrong and it's something I have to live with for the rest of my life.

Ive actually never been to a chiro before, but i want to schedule a visit sometime soon to get things "striaghtened out"...ive herad a few minutes with a good chiro is like heavon on earth.

I watched a video on youtube a while back, i just looked and cannot find it, but a chiro explained it like this. Pretend you are walking along and you get a pebble in your shoe, what do you do? Take a tylonal to get rid of the pain...or remove the pebble? You remove the pebble correct?

There are some videos on youtube of chiro adjustments...watching just makes me go ahhhhh
default_wub.png

http://www.youtube.com/my_favorites?pi=4&a...p;sq=&dm=1#

I definitely believe in GOOD chiropractors, and gentle ones. I have a great one, he has helped me so much with my back problems, without surgery, and without going back to him for months on end. The doctors all wanted to do surgery..I had never gone to a chiro before, tried a athletic chiro, ,and he did wonders for my back, which had been a horse related injury. I havent had any problems with it since, and never needed surgery either. The doctors actually put me in a brace, which I only wore for 2 days before trying a chiro, so glad I did! Mt sons closest friend is a chiro practor now, and he will just give me a "quick adjustment" if I feel I need it, about once a year.

I didn't "believe" in them for years....I'm an ER nurse and of course "old school", then my friend got dumped off her horse and got stepped on right in her back. Actually knocked a piece of the vertabrae off....but a stable fracture. The doctors kept giving her pain meds and told her it would take time to heal. After a couple of months and still not being able to get around she went to a friend's chiro.....one treatment had her up and around again. It was a miracle. Well, I had been run over by a horse and gotten a good whiplash injury. I'd been having headaches for months. Went to the same chiro and after the adjustment the headaches went away.....he also found a big "old" muscle spasm in my upper back that he worked on and the pain that I had lived with for years(I thought it was bursitis) was gone. So......I'm a believer and I go fairly regularly for "tune-ups". Of course....you have to have a good chiropractor. When I moved to Oregon it took me a few years to find one I liked. Basically I kept asking around and when I finally found someone that "loved" their chiro I went to him. I've referred so many people to him since!

I have worked for a chiropractor for 10 years now and she is wonderful. First rule of thumb is never let a chiropractor touch you without xrays first. My chiro will not touch a patient unless she has xrays first. You never know if there is a tumor or fracture and can do more harm than good.

Find a very reputable one and you will always go back to that chiro.

Carlene

I've been to a chiropractor, I think it helped me somewhat. My husband goes whenever he feels things are out of whack and it seems to really help him. My best success with a chiropractor was with an equine chiropractor. I had a back sore mare who was being very witchy about being saddled worked on by one and the difference between the first 1st with her and 2nd visit was pretty dramatic. And she didn't unnecessarily prolong things, either, she felt 2 visits were adequate and I should just call her again if needed. Didn't need to!

a good friend of mine, the high school quarter back, goes to a chiropractor about once a month but that is due to the NEED for it. it has worked wonders for him, and i use one for my shoulder and knee

OK, folks...

I have been working at a Chiropractic office for just about 20 months. When I started working there I knew NOTHING about Chiropractic care. I had come from a Veterinary background...long story there...lol.

Anyway, In the past 20 months I have learned so much more about the human body and how it works. The spine is an amazing thing!

I have seen people with terrible back pain who are unable to stand up straight get relief, those with bulging discs who get some pressure relieved and make their days more bearable, women with Fibromyalgia who get some relief too...to mention a few. We also have alot of patients that just come in once a week for a tuneup....which they swear they couldn't do without.

The doctors that I work for have integrity. They are not ambulance chasers like one of our local practices that sponsors radio show and sets up in parking lots with a van and balloons and giveaways! UGH!

I get weekly adjustments to help with back problems that I have had for over 30 years.

I wish I had known about Chiropractic when my handicapped son was small..I would def have had him get regular adjustments.

My younger son discovered Chiropractic while in the military and he swears by it.

Weel, not everyone can benefit form Chiropractic...but many can..it is definitley a resource for those who would rather not take meds for pain and natural health.

I've been going to a chiropractor for several years now and it's helped with some longstanding problems in my neck. I go in once a month now, and could probably back off of that some now. He did xrays initially, and does a follow up exam every so often where they scan your spine. Scan shows up "hot spots" and areas of stress as different colors - my back has gone from looking like a lopsided Christmas tree on the scan to be pretty healthy and symmetrical.

I'm a big believer in it for horses, have used them for years - just took me longer to come around to using them on myself.
default_smile.png

Jan

In my line of work a good "bone cracker" is a god.

"Minis can be a pain in the back"

Wish i could go more often then i do

I only go when the pain in my hands gets to the point of no sleep for nites in a row

call me stubborn

but some of the posts are right it only helps if you find a really good one and they are usually booked up way in advance

Oh absolutely YES!!! I get so tight in my shoulders and back sometimes, I go out of whack clear up to where my skull sits on my neck and I get HORRIBLE migraines. One trip to the chiropractor and I'm good to go for a while. Everything goes back in place and I feel like a new woman. Sleep better too!!

When your body is out of whack, it can affect a lot of other things you would never even think of, but it does.

We have used chiropractors for a couple of horses in the past too that needed it (full sized horses) and it fixed the issues they had!

Latest posts

Back