Chicken update and a couple of questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pacey reminds me of my cat--He jumps from the ground to your shoulder or chest and will sit there while I do my chores XD Sorry about your rooster--Good luck with your chickens! =)

One way to tell if the eggs are good is to fill a large bowl with cold water. Gently place the egg in the water (one at a time). If the egg sinks to the bottom it's good. If it floats it's bad. Sometimes I'll have an egg that is sort of half sunk and half upended . I figure it's an egg that is turning, so will make the dogs a scrambled egg.

Our Brahma hen waited nearly a year to begin laying, but once she started she went whole hog -- or make that whole hen -- with huge eggs, often double-yolks, and more than one egg per day. We've had a few dark brown eggs from our Cuckoo Marans, and a wide range of lighter brown to terra cotta colored eggs from our other hens -- Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorp, and Gold Laced Wyandotte. We haven't identified which hen laid which egg with these. Our Ameraucana is apparently a late bloomer -- no blue eggs yet -- so perhaps it is the same with yours.

I can't wait to go out tomorrow morning and see if there's any.
default_smile.png
I went out tonight when the girls were settled in their coop, but they were all sleeping on the shelf together. No one was laying in the box where the eggs were found. :/

Aww I'm so happy for you!! I love my chicks and it's so fun to go get eggs! I know to some people it's such a small thing thing but I work hard to make my girls happy and safe so it's fun to get an egg or two! LOL!! Right now out of 30 something chickens I'm getting between 1 and 3 eggs a day. And each time it's different colors so no single girl lays every day! Kinda weird but I'll take it!
default_thumbup.gif
My hubbys uncle lives down the road and he has a few hundred chickens and is only getting 3 eggs a day! So I'm happy!! LOL!!

There was another egg today, which I got to find. Yay!

Jack's Thunder, I have no idea how you handle 30 chickens! Sometimes I get so frustrated with how messy my three make their pen within a week. Lol. They are sooo spoiled with wanting their daily food. They are no longer happy with their scratch, they want the good stuff. The problem is, I'm running out of extras to feed them (we don't have alot of leftovers usually). :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I enjoy them so much! I told hubby that if I would have known I loved chicks so much I probably would not have the other critters that I have and only had chicks! Lol! He said that would be a s They do get spoiled easy! I used to buy bread from the Hostess store but now that they are closed there is nothing. My chicks are standing there staring up at me like WHATTTT NO TREATS!!!!??? Lol! Some times I can hit the dollar store or my grocery store will run specials on noodles, and that is good for about a week.

I have to say from a business point of view they are not worth it! In the summer I get (sometimes) over a dozen a day, good but not great by any means! I do sell the eggs to a few people and make sure my mom has eggs all summer long. Right now I'm lucky if I get a dozen a week, but no matter what I still have to feed the same amount! Same money goes in, not the same coming out.

Oh the mess is terrable!!! It's a constent battle to keep that coop clean!!! But that is one chore I don't mind, I guess because I enjoy them so much.( shhhh but truthfully, I like chick chores better then horsey chores, but shhh don't tell my horseys!! LOL!!) I like to use the mess in my little pumpkin garden.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back