Chemical Face Treatments

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had one, or done the creams at home? I recently saw rave reviews for a product that has glycolic acid in it on Amazon. Apparently it smoothes out/fades blemishes, shrinks pores, and helps with fine wrinkles. The skin on my face is horrible! I have small acne scars, sun spots, and melasma. I hate using concealer and powder.
default_sad.png

I would go to a dermatologist; don't mess with your skin (especially the skin on your face) by putting something on it that you buy online :s

If you find anything please share!

My face feels so dirty throughout the day.. Being a dog groomer I feel as if all of the hair and oil sticks directly to my face. I use several washes and scrubs a few times a day and it still doesn't feel refreshed. I am almost 26 and still get acne breakouts around my chin (an area I touch a lot through the day). I also think my pores are bigger than they should be.. I use foundation and powder, it's a must.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you google some natural remedies? I just read someplace about using banana peels and pineapple to cure and help facial problems like that. Sounds like it would smell good and give me an appetite too!

I would also recommend a dermatologist if that is do-able.

For you and others reading, what about one of those foundation-powder combination compacts? I rely on simplyCCover Girl's Ultimate Finish compact foundation. It comes in a compact and is very light feeling on your face. I've used it for years, but it may have had a different name previously. It's just really lightweight but with good coverage and even though I'm ultra fair colored, they have one for me and for so many other tones as well..

My own coloring over my cheeks is very rosy (I don't ever wear blush! ... even though it may look like I do.), but I'm also really fair skinned. I like that CG has a very light makeup for me, but for those darker (honestly, nearly anyone is!), it's just so smooth to spread on and you don't feel like you have put a lot of make up on, yet it gives a really nice, even look. And, obviously, it's at the drug store so it's not going to break a bank. I like it a lot.

So this works for me and I think would for many others, too, but also I have a "green stick" if I'm having a real red day. The green cancels out red, but there are other colored sticks that cancel out different tones. I just have a Maybelline stick that looks kike a light green lipstick thing. Inexpensive, any drug store will have it, and does what it says, but it is not "light", and I wouldn't want to use it daily because it's a bit heavy on my skin.

The skin around my nose and chin seem to be extra flakey, so when I wear concealer, it really makes the skin look dryer or like I'm peeling. I may look into alternative methods though, because as Matt said, I'm scared to take a chance with my face.
default_sad.png

My skin is so sensitive that I can only use neutrogena and bare minerals. Anything else makes me break out with cystic acne. Most of the time, I go sans makeup altogether, except for a little mascara and a little bit of cover up on my red areas. Some things I learned to get rid of acne scars back when I was going through a spell:

Don't use the same routine of facial cleansing. Switch it up-keeps your skin from being accustomed to it and thus keeps it more effective in cleansing and preventing acne.

Get a facial cleansing brush. You can get a basic and low cost one ($15 or less) on most beauty sites. You don't need to get those expensive rotating ones...just a brush with the right bristles will do. Every night before I go to bed I use my make up removing wipes and clean all of the dirt, makeup, and other icky things off my face. Massage my facial cleanser on, rinse off, and then use the brush to gently scrub my face while my pores are still open from the warm water. Then I use the Neutrogena beauty bar and do a quick wash over. While my face is still wet, I apply a whole bunch of really light moisturizer. What the brush does is get rid of all old skin and help bring up more oils and dirt than the face wash will on its own.

Sounds like a lot, but it takes me about 10 min. For bad acne spots, neutrogena has a spot corrector that works really quickly. I love it. Expensive for just a little bit though.

Never use face products with any scents to them, even if it's grapefruit or cucumber, citrus, or anything else. Scents in face products are the number one face irritant. Get rid of them all.

Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Try getting a heavier moisturizer for your nose and chin. I have the same problem areas and it's where I break out the most as well. The more I moisturized, the better it became.

I'm opening myself up to lots of snickers right now, I know. But those who don't already know what I'm saying is actually true can look it up if they feel like it.

A great way for women to exfoliate their face is to actually shave it. It does not make any hair grow back thicker or darker. I does a great job exfoliating your skin and it removes those very thin / fine hair that foundation will cling to making them more visible especially if you're under florescent light. It's supposedly a "top super model secret", and it works. Not only do I feel like it's good for my skin, but it's so easy to do (I just do it in the tub w/ a 3 or more blade razor that I use on my legs (NEVER have cut myself, and no dark hairs or anything). Skin feels baby soft and though my coloring isn't always what I wish, I think it's been a factor in helping the texture and health of my skin to be good.

So, feel free to laugh at me, but also if any of you want a quick, easy way to exfoliate -- google it
default_yes.gif

Have you ever tried ProActive? Both of my children have skin issues--dry skin to breakouts to rudiness. They both use ProActive and what a difference! Both my children are in their late 20's early 30's.

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

I was interested in ProActive but I don't have acne or break out often (most scarring is from when I was younger). I'm mostly interested in the Dark Spot Corrector, but I hear mixed things on it.

Jill, I would be absolutely terrified to shave my face. I would be the one person who's hair would grow back thicker and darker. Seriously, I waxed my arms for my wedding in 2004, and I swear that my arms have been hairier since.

I've used products containing glycolic acid before but not in large amounts. I'd also go see a dermatologist.

Sara and others, just google it! I've been doing it for YEARS and haven't had any issues about coarse or dark hair... I'm 44 (while I've long preferred 29 and holding!) and it's working for me and so many others. I think it helps keep skin healthy and young looking... please spare my feelings if you think I like I'm 70yo LOL. This is something I do feel has helped my skin over the years and we can all I'm not a super-model, but I think I'm holding up okay even with a lot of health issues, and I think this little tip is one of the reason's why. I don't do anything expensive or time consuming, at least not yet. Seriously, I'd never hold it out if it hadn't been working for me personally after someone else told me about the benefts:.

Jill%20April%202013%20SMALLER.jpg

1x1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
A refreshing cleanser and toner is an easy one...mix 3 parts witch hazel with 1 part lemon juice. I use this twice a day. It feels refreshing, shrinks pours, fades freckles and dark spots (somewhat fades, not totally). Cheap, easy and lasts a long time. Just squirt some on a cotton ball.

Jill-that's a great tip and I know I've read about it before. Why do men tend to have such nice skin compared to women? The shaving and no makeup
default_smile.png

Like Myminigal I use witch hazel. I use one of those gloves that is like a loofa sponge first with a plain soap (no perfume) wash and exfoliate with that, then do the witch hazel all over, and then a moisturizing lotion. Skin is super soft after doing this.

I have had photodynamic therapy done on my face for skin cancer. It involves putting a chemical on, letting it sit for an hour or two and then going under what they call a "red light" and it takes care of the skin cancer over time and leaves the skin much better looking in the end but you pay for it when you use the chemical and the light. You peal really bad and the sores can weep. It's like having a really bad sunburn but without the UVA ray damage. It hurts. I wouldn't put chemicals on my face if I didn't have to.

I read your post and it made me sad. Your avatar/profile photo is of a pretty young woman. As an older woman in her mid-50s, from my viewpoint, you are beautiful.

I agree with the advice that you should consult a dermatologist. Don’t do weird stuff to your face; (because first off; you don’t need it) but more importantly you don’t want to mess up your face

Latest posts

Back