No-Thrush

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleonard

Reaction score
I currently have a mare that is struggling with a terrible case of chronic thrush. The poor girl is so sore she almost looks laminitic. It has been going on for over a year, apparently she was neglected when my fiancé's family bought her and try as they might, they have not been able to get it cleared up. I guess it gets better for a while, then relapses and she loses her frogs and the process starts all over again. They shipped her out here in October so that he can keep working with her feet (she is technically his horse). They were using Scarlex by Farnam, but not getting very good results. I found "Ramey goo" while searching the internet the other day, so we started trying that. It is a mix of Triple antibiotic ointment and athletes foot cream. I also saw where someone said to add Monistat to it to clear up any possible yeast infection, and Desitin to help dry it out. We mixed it all up and have been using a syringe to squirt it deep into the sulci. We did a diluted lysol soak last night and were planning to do that 3x per week as well. I have found several reviews from people who swear by this combination of treatments. The poor mare lost another frog last night, the others will probably have to slough off soon too. I think she is going to get a little worse before she gets better, but hopefully we can keep the new growth healthy.

In my searching I also ran across a product called No-Thrush. It is a powder and looks very interesting, but I wanted to see if anyone else has tired it and liked it. Aside from the reviews on the product website it is difficult to find anyone who has tried it.

We had a mare with chronic thrush many years ago and I can't remember what product my grandparents used, but I do know they had to vet wrap her whole hoof, bottom included (with some other stuff underneath to keep out moisture). I would not do that unless a very bad case. She finally cleared up after that.

Where is your mare being kept? Do you have a large stall in your barn that you could keep padded down with a thick layer of straw? Do you have a dry lot pen to turn her out into (like a round pen)? She needs the exercise to give her good circulation, but also needs to be kept in a very dry and as sterile as possible environment. I have no advise on what products to use (there are a variety that work), but where the horses are kept plays a big factor in the healing process.

Good luck! I hope she heals soon

I don't have an answer to your question, as I've not tried this product, but will offer some advice. We bought a pretty little mare so many years ago that now I can't remember, we we got her home we noticed she had thrush really bad and had no frogs left at all on both hind. We tried the green stuff for weeks, it didn't work, pared out the soles and put her in the barn with a lot of sawdust to cushion her, then applied betadine. We kept paring out her hooves and applying the betadine and within a month she was so much better. the trick then was to be able to get her out and keep her feet dry and treated, so I set up a portable corrale in a grassy area and kept moving it every few days. Once she was healed she did just fine and we were able to put her out with the rest. It did take awhile though to get her feet back to normal.

Currently she is out in the field with everyone else. They are in the front field most of the day where there is plenty of grass and not so much mud. They do have to go through the mud to get out there and get back to the barn though, and it has been really wet here for the last couple of weeks. I had read that you can use hoof boots to keep them dry if you thoroughly coat the bottom of the boot with athletes foot powder so it absorbs the moisture, but good hoof boots are just too expensive. I know that they need the movement to keep the circulation going to the area, which is why we are reluctant to stall her, we do not have a large enough stall that she would be able to move around enough (she is a big mare, but figured thrush is thrush no matter the size!). I may try putting her in the sand arena, it at least will not be muddy. Thank you for the advice! I may try the Betadine instead of the Lysol as it will not be as caustic to the tissue.

If you need to wrap the feet, I've found that electrical tape works the best. It's flexible and pretty moisture proof.

Good luck

Only thing I found to work long term on really bad thrush and other deep hoof issues, is CleanTrax (Valley Vet sells this) or White Lightening. Its a bit of a pain, takes about two hours but well worth it.

Ouch for sure. I have always used warm epsom salt soaks and a product made for cows called tomorrow. It's an antibiotic and will work wonders. I believe TSC carry's it. It will be in a plastic syringe like a wormer would be.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back