Cedar Fields Last Foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsites

Reaction score
We had one really late foal. Introducing Cedar Fields Lil Bit of Awesome. He is so sweet and a total pocket pet. I've never had a foal this tiny. He was about 18" at birth and has a 6" cannon bone. How tall do you think he'll be? 28"?

I am also a little confused on his color. When he was born I thought bay but I've never had a bay clip out this light. I've also never had a buckskin foal, so I don't really now what to expect. This is our buckskin mares Sophia's first foal and he was sired by our stallion Awesome. I was praying for a buckskin so maybe I'm just seeing him through wishful eyes? But he has some golden color under his tail and on his chest.

Lil Bit at one day old....looks bay to me.

lilbit.jpg

Lil Bit after he was clipped

lilbit007.jpg

lilbit104-1.jpg

lilbit040.jpg

Congrats on a beautiful and healthy colt! I don't see buckskin however-but bays are my very favorite color
default_wub.png

I have heard his coloring referred to as "wild bay". I have a couple of Shetlands that are that shade of bay with the cream colored muzzle and underbelly.

I have heard his coloring referred to as "wild bay". I have a couple of Shetlands that are that shade of bay with the cream colored muzzle and underbelly.

Do you have any pics of mature horses you would call "wild bay" I would love to see how he might look in the future. I guess I was wishing a little to hard for buckskin. I love bays, but was hoping for something different.

Will PM some photos to you since I cannot get photos to upload to this site. The creamy/mealy color around the muzzle and underbelly is called pangare. "Wild bay" color most commonly refers to bays that their black points do not come much higher than they fetlocks and often times that will also exhibit the pangare coloration as well.

wild or primitive bay are common on exmoor ponies if you do a search for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
He may or may not be a 'wild' bay or have pangare. All foals are born with lighter points, it's a defense mechanism. Sometimes it takes them months to get the nice dark points.

Jennifer he looks like a black bay. We have several of these here. It could be that only the muzzle will give a clue that he is a bay when his adult coat comes in.

All Bay foals are born with cream legs, true, but not all Bay foals are born with the cream round the eyes, the nose muff and the cream underbelly this foal has.

I would lay money that is Pangaré

Or he could be Brown!

The clipped picture is no way indicative of his colour, I think he will grow back in a red/brown Bay.

I've had lots of bays with the lighter points that shed out, but I was unsure of the golden hair on his chest and rear. I didn't know about Pangare but after some research and looking at photos it seems likely. Thanks to everyone who sent photos. So I guess the overall verdict is some shade of bay.

A VERY handsome BAY colt.
default_wub.png

Time will tell what shade or detail of bay.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back