Can't scroll with Mouse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim~Crayonboxminiatures

Reaction score
I'm starting to go a little crazy, on websites and e-mails, I can't scroll with the wheel of my mouse. I have to go over click on the bar on the side and manually move it up or down. I have checked all the mouse settings, but I can't figure out how to change it??

I even bought a new mouse thinking the wheel stopped working on my old one.

Anyone know if it's a setting that I somehow changed by accident or how to fix it?

Reading the forum is a lot harder without being able to quickly scroll...Please help me, I need every trace of sanity I have, haha!!

I found this online. Not sure if it will fix the problem, but might be worth a try....

"If the problem is on the computer end, try removing the mouse software by going to the Control Panel in Windows. You can access this by hitting the Windows key on your keyboard. Find the icon labeled Mouse or Mouse and Keyboard. From this tab, uninstall the mouse. Next unplug it from the computer, and reboot. Plug the mouse back in when Windows has loaded, and your computer should install the mouse software. If you are using a Mac, you may need to download the latest software update for your mouse to work."

Is it physically a mouse?

I ask because most of my laptops have a botton and you can accidently tap it and it will turn off the scrolling function of the touch pad. In case that helps!

It's been a long time since I've used a "real" mouse, but maybe the underside of them or something has a similar switch that can disable scrolling.

Disabling scrolling is actually something some people may want to do when showing a powerpoint presentation or using some other applications, so I guess for that reason, it's possible to turn it off and then back on.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a physical mouse, and it won't scroll even with the brand new mouse I installed. I feel like it should be something simple to change it, but can't figure out what happened to make it stop in the first place!

Are you using windows? I can't try this on my computer because it doesn't have a mouse or a wheel, but maybe (hoping) this can help you from what Windows said when I searched "help" for "mouse scroll" (cut and paste from my Windows):

To change how the mouse wheel works

1. Click to open Mouse Properties.
  2. Click the Wheel tab, and then do one of the following:

• To set the number of lines the screen will scroll for each notch of mouse wheel movement, under Vertical Scrolling, select The following number of lines at a time, and then enter the number of lines you want to scroll in the box.
    • To scroll an entire screen of text for each notch of the mouse wheel, under Vertical Scrolling, select One screen at a time.
    • If your mouse has a wheel that supports horizontal scrolling, under Horizontal Scrolling, in the Tilt the wheel to scroll the following number of characters at a time box, enter the number of characters you want to scroll horizontally when you tilt the wheel to the left or right.
[*]

Click OK.

I thought there was something to change in "Mouse properties" in the control panel....was sure I have seen that before on my office computer....but when I went & looked just now on my home PC it isn't there. My mouse is plugged into the USB port, unless that makes a difference? My scroll wheel is actually broken, so I need a new mouse....

Thanks Jill, I did find that and it doesn't make any difference. I don't understand where the "setting" might be, maybe under display, I will have to check that.

My mouse is also plugged into the USB, it's wireless.

I have had this happen to me for no apparent reason. To fix it, I shut my computer down completely and then brought it back up and the mouse worked fine. I don't know why shutting down fixed it. Hope it will help you.

Thank-you soo much SeaBreeze!! That fixed it!
default_thumbup.gif

That ^ means that somehow the scroll feature was turned off - and when you restarted the computer, it went back to the default (scroll ON) setting...
default_yes.gif

I can't figure out how it was turned off, I couldn't find anything to turn it back on!! It's my laptop though, so sometimes I hit keys in combination without trying and it does things I didn't want, haha!

So glad that fixed it. I've had it happen several times and have never figured out what I did to make it stop working. It happens on my laptop also... never the desktop computer. I'm sure it is something to do with the touch pad. Oh well, as long as we can fix it!!!!

Latest posts

Back