Candle question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuffsmom

Reaction score
I have two really neat candle votives (sp?). I have completley burned down 2 red candles in these glass votives, and now I'm left with the uglies/burned stuff at the bottom. How do I get rid of the red uglies so I can put a new candle in the holder. Can I boil the glass votive? I've scraped and scraped with a butter knife, but it's not working well......??

Sorry if this seems silly to everyone, but it's driving me nuts.

Could you microwave it and as soon as you take it out, be ready with a paper towel and wipe it? Maybe do it a few times to get it out? Not sure if this will work for sure.

Try a blow dryer to warm it up enough to wipe out with paper towels or sit in pan of hot water till melted then wipe out with towels? I've been making candles lately & one of the first things I read was never to microwave wax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I can't microwave it, there is a small metal disc at the bottom where the wic was attached. I'm going to try the blowdryer.

It seems so silly, but I really like these little holder things. It's driving me crazy, I finally just had to walk away after about 2 hours of scraping wax!

I read somewhere that you can put it in the freezer till it freezes up a while and then it's easier to scrape off. Also before you put your votive on the holder some people put some water ontop of the candle holder to keep it moist and prevent from sticking...there is also those that use like an oil to lightly coat the holder then place your candle on it. Might be a specialty oil that you can get at a craft store...I would imageine...thats non-flammable.

I usually just stick them in the sink and run water from ther tap through them- as hot as it will get. If that's not hot enough, I pour hot water from the coffee maker on/in them, or boiled water. Never had one break this way- but you may want to be careful just in case. Mostly you have to worry about the temperature of the glass- if it's too cold when the really hot water hits it... it will crack or break.

You may be able to get the metal disc out with a butter knife, then microwave it.

Turn your oven on low and place the votive upside down on a piece of waxed paper. We cleaned a buch of votives up for a wedding and this is how we did it. Slick, easy with no work involved.

:aktion033: Martha says freeze them then they constrict and the ugulies pop tight out.

I have two really neat candle votives (sp?). I have completley burned down 2 red candles in these glass votives, and now I'm left with the uglies/burned stuff at the bottom. How do I get rid of the red uglies so I can put a new candle in the holder. Can I boil the glass votive? I've scraped and scraped with a butter knife, but it's not working well......??

Sorry if this seems silly to everyone, but it's driving me nuts.

I just run some hot water on the outside of the glass. In a matter of a few seconds the wax will pop out whole and can be disposed of.

Latest posts

Back