Can some of you buyers tell me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
I've noticed this years ago and always wondered why some potential buyers don't want to disclose where they live. Some are right up front but most, even after exchanging a half dozen letters, on a horse they say they're interested in, won't tell me. I ask them right out after a few letters but nope, they let that question just slide. I'm bending over backwards answering every question they ask, taking every picture they want, getting right back to them with my letters but they can't disclose where they live. I'd really appreciate knowing for a few reasons. For one, when they ask me where I live, it's easier to tell them if I know what direction or how familiar they are with the area. I just feel like they're more serious if they're going to be honest and up front the way I am. I may be wrong but this is kinda a pet peeve of mine as I think they're a young person not serious. Or a shady character. And if they can't trust me more than that to let me in on there where abouts, after a few letters, maybe they should not be trying to buy from me. Can some of the buyers out there tell me why this is such a big secret? I can't be the only one that finds this.

I'm not trying to be smart here, really wondering.

I'm maybe just cranky this morning, better get back to my tea!

Nope, I've encountered it also. IF and when I ever "get" an inquiry. When I look at a horse I always introduce myself, my home and my horses and the way I do things following with a "I am located on the NY/Pa border". I have no idea why they do this.......it is very frustrating.

Don't know the answer to this, but I'm one of those buyers that has no problem disclosing info.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=18pt]Marine,[/SIZE]

I don't know why it's a big secret either! When I E-mail someone about a horse (and I do quite often) I have my name, address and phone number at the bottom of all my e-mails! I also include my cell phone number so they can contact me anytime to talk and ask all the questions they wish!

Bill

Hi Marnie! :bgrin

I also have ran into this problem as well! I often ask in NUMEROUS EMAILS and even phone calls that I get and some people are VERY EVASIVE about telling where they live and for me it sends up a RED FLAG! :eek:

I can see over looking it in one email but when I ask a second time and still no answer as to where they are I take it as they are NOT SERIOUS and/or they are young and usually just give up on the whole thing.
default_yes.gif
:

Its gets really frustrating sometimes that is why sometimes I just end up pulling adds I have out because I just get sick of "Tire Kickers" and some just want "Something For Nothing" For instance a " AMHA/AMHR SHOW QUALITY MARE IN FOAL FOR $300-$500. ":new_shocked: :bgrin................

Anyway, I hope you find your answer

Jeri

I think they are afraid to disclose too much info about themselves until they are confirmed about the intrest of the horse they are inquiring about. I get this too, with some sales,- but have discovered that the closer we get to the sale, the more willing they are to share details about themselves and their where-abouts.

Marnie, I'm sitting here with my second cup of tea so hopefully won't be toooo grouchy! But I know just what you mean and it drives me nuts....I get the feeling the person is trying to be secretive and it makes me wary of selling them a horse. Surely just telling the general location wouldn't comprimise their security or be dangerous to them, would it? I mean, like saying 'central OK'?
default_unsure.png
:

Maybe there is a reason and I just don't understand it.

Charlotte

I've wondered this exact same thing.

I think it's lame to use the excuse they don't want to divulge too much info about themselves too early in the "deal". I personally don't expect exact directions to their farm when I ask "where are you located", but it would be nice if they'd name their state/province--I don't see that a state/province is "too much information".

Actually most people who inquire do give their state/province when asked (in my experience anyway). If they ignore this question it's an indication to me that they aren't serious at all about buying anything. Usually I think these are usually minors--usually, but not always. Following a friend's advice, I then ask these people if I may have their phone # so that I can call to discuss the horse, as I like to conduct business personally, not via e-mail--if they send a phone #, fine, if not, that's the end of it.

I like that idea!! I think I will do that from now on!

THANKS FOR THE TIP!

Jeri

Actually most people who inquire do give their state/province when asked (in my experience anyway). If they ignore this question it's an indication to me that they aren't serious at all about buying anything. Usually I think these are usually minors--usually, but not always. Following a friend's advice, I then ask these people if I may have their phone # so that I can call to discuss the horse, as I like to conduct business personally, not via e-mail--if they send a phone #, fine, if not, that's the end of it.

Hmm interesting you know I don't know I have ever had a problem with someone telling me where they are but then again.. I don't even honestly know if I have asked? early on before the deal was close to being finalized.

Now I sure will end up paying more attention and noticing though :lol:

That is odd. I'm not new to buying, just new to selling at this point. However, I wouldn't have and don't have any problems telling potential sellers where I live. Virginia... Spotsylvania, VA to be exact. If I ever didn't say where when asked, it would just be an oversight not intentional.

default_wacko.png
: I always tell where I live. I live in Maine and when interested in a mini I always ask if they know of anyone coming in this direction. We have had problems in the past where the shippers just dont come this way very ofter and I know If I can find someone to make transporting safely easier on me It is alot of times the deal clencher ( hint hint)
default_yes.gif
:

If I get an email requesting information on a horse and it doesn't contain any identifying information, I ASK. If they don't tell me - I blow them off because they are NOT a serious buyer. They are either:

1. A bratty kid playing a SIMS game

2. A bratty kid just jerking my chain

3. A psychopath nut case in which case I would not want to do business with them. Anyone who wants to buy a well-bred horse is going to be honest and up front with who they are. I would never consider selling a horse to "anonymous" - would you?

Just hit delete. Problem solved. If they are a serious buyer they'll pick up the phone and call.

EDITED to add:

I didn't say I hit delete immediately. I ask who they are. If they still send emails asking information but refuse to identify themselves, THEN I hit delete.

Marnie I have no idea why they do this.

Right now I am shopping.

Normally, I always, at least, tell them what city and state I am in.

If I would like a video of course I give them my full address.

Can't understand why it would be such a big secret. If a person wanting to buy one of my horses lived close to me I might 'just happen to drive by' to check out the environment. Perhaps that is why some don't give their location, they don't want to be checked out? .................... If the person inquiring lives a long distance perhaps they feel they will not be taken seriously by the seller if they reveal their location............. Few years back we had someone up north inquire about a horse. I felt they were just window shopping but I gave them all the info & pictures anyway. Pleasant surprise, they did buy...................... If in the end I have not determined the location I may ask the person. I let them know I am asking this because if I do not have a horse that fits their needs I may know a reputable seller in their area to send them to.

Agreed with Jean

If I don't get name, town and phone I don't give directions to my ranch.

For my own safty!

Now in Texas

Anita

Little Texas Minis

Sulphur Springs TX

I don't know why each and every person does not disclose where they live but I respect their right to privacy. [ I have no problem in telling a seller my location] I always feel it is my place to answer their questions in the first email back, then if they sound interested in my horse I ask some questions about them. Their original questions usually tell me a lot. I can always pick and choose my buyers and if I feel uncomfortable with them I just let them know ...no use in getting rude because a person never knows if they will buy that particular horse or if they may contact me at another time for another horse. Not everyone wants to make deals over the phone and I have found the emails to be very helful in keeping information exactly as stated rather than what may or may not have been said in a phone converstion. To each his own, but to me a buyer is very important and I want to treat them well. Yes there are a lot of "tire kickers" out there [maybe too much time on their hands] but that is something we learn to have patience with in selling horses.....I am not so sure it is just kids that are the "tire kickers" :bgrin :bgrin Mary

Hi all :saludando:

When I inquire about any horse I always state that I am on a farm in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. I, as yet, haven't run across anyone not wanting to divulge at least the state they are located in...

I do have a problem with the phone number bit.

I normally will not give it to someone I am dealing with until we are deep into a sale and even then I avoid using it for most discussions.

My reasonings are many.

One; I dislike the phone immensily. I always have. It just isn't something I like to do, talk on a phone. If I could go without a phone I would, but I can't. I can, however, limit my usage of it.

Secondly, I have run into several instances where a person wants to make deal on a phone and then conveniently forgets that part of the conversation. I've had it happen enough that I am totally against discussing anything important about a horse deal over the phone.

I want it through email where all I have to do it re-read what was sent and clip and paste it back to them if they can't remember. It also helps me to have notes about what questions where answered and what was not so I can go ask them again. It is just the way I like to do things.

As a side note, I had someone call and call and call after we bought a horse from them. Drove me nuts! Nice, nice person, but the calls were excessive.(Please, do not pm me asking for their name. They are on this forum and I would never want to hurt their feelings.) Our phone number is always on the contract. I, don't mind talking on the phone, every once in awhile, once the contract is signed, as long as, it isn't all the time.

There are more reasons for people not to want to share their phone numbers than that they are shady. I'm not shady, but I won't share my number with you easily. I have passed on horses because the person only wanted to deal through the phone as I'm sure many of you would have passed on me because I discouraged the use of the phone. I look at it like this, "Some things are meant to be and some aren't...then you move on."

"There are more reasons for people not to want to share their phone numbers than that they are shady." Thunder

I agree. I, too, have never liked talking on the phone. If you could see me when I do I pace the entire time. If the conversation lasts long enough and although I am in pretty good shape I will literally become short of breath. It's not that I'm not well-spoken or have anything to hide or even that I'm nervous. I simply do not like talking on the phone. I much prefer Email as each individual has a COPY of what has or has not been said. Add me to this list of people who have been taken advantage of by others who "remember me promising something" that I most certainly DID NOT!

Latest posts

Back