Can anyone tell me about these bloodlines??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't heard of any of these horses, but I have heard of Toyland. But a farm name doesn't mean much to me.

And what does "well bred" mean to you?

To me, it means a National Champion or better sire, and hopefully dam, too. Having as many national champions in every horse on the pedigree is even better, or Champion producers would be okay, too.

However, I'm not an expert in AMHA so if these are obscure but accomplished horses in the pedigree maybe someone else will chime in.

And above all, the papers don't make the horse. Your mare could very well be a National Grand Champion quality mare despite what her papers are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have agree- while having papers means a lot, the papers don't neccesarily make the horse. There are a lot of National Champions out there that have pedigrees that aren't considered "well bred". I personally have seen horses that the pedigrees read like a who's who of the Mini world and when I go and look at the horse, I'm very disappointed in what's presented. Good names in the lineage don't always make a good horse.

Here's Toyland Zodiac, though, which you do see in her pedigree...

http://www.toylandminihorses.com/Photos/Herd%20Sires/pictures/toylandzodiac-31%22.html

ABSOLUTELY! Disneyhorse, I guess I worded this wrong
default_unsure.png
by saying well bred. I was just curious if anyone recognized the bloodlines because this mare is the mother of my colt. For me, I meant good at something like driving, etc. Not so much the "papered" being the definition of well bred. I was curious what her bloodlines were known for...driving, halter, jumping, disposition, etc. I know his dad is great for driving since he has Buckaroo
default_aktion033.gif
and Ima Boones little buckaroo too
default_yes.gif
. I just wondered what all my little guy might have. he is so animated with his movements and has such a sweet disposition. I am sure I will find out as he matures and as we train what his stong points are, but I am soooo excited that I wanted a preview. I know the babies can be totally different than their parents, but I bet he will be outstanding! He has great conformation and body carriage. I want to know all I can about his lineage. Thank you Forever Farm for the link! Diane, I am CLUELESS what Falabella is. I looked at some sites for the definition of it, but have yet to really dig into the breed. Thanks for letting me know about this!!!
default_biggrin.png

The only one I recognize is Toyland Zodiac- he is on the reference page of my website as I have a loud colored mare that goes back to him and so does my two year old stallion. He was one of the nicer Appy stallions from back then, and a pretty good color producer.

Rock River Tiff on the forum is from the family that bred The Rock River horses in the pedigree. Tiffany is a very nice lady and has great taste in conformation. She may have photos of some of the horses in the pedigree if you ask. If she does, then you can make a decision abou pedigree yourself.

Sometimes there are less well-known bloodlines that although may not be famous are equally useful in producing great horses and also particular traits that can improve a herd. If you like the horse for the purpose intended then it is bred just right.

I do not think that a Well Bred horse HAS to have National Champions in the pedigree. Now before you all burn me at the stake for saying that let me explain. A Well Bred horse to me is one that has not produced ANY glaring faults. To me A National Champion only tells me that someone had the money to show and their horse pleased the judges more then the other horses it was showing against. Also, are you talking National Champion Halter horse or National Champion Driving horse? To me there is a differance between the two. While a halter horse might look nice, can he perform too? OK now you can flame away.
default_torch.gif
:torch
default_torch.gif

I do not think that a Well Bred horse HAS to have National Champions in the pedigree. Now before you all burn me at the stake for saying that let me explain. A Well Bred horse to me is one that has not produced ANY glaring faults. To me A National Champion only tells me that someone had the money to show and their horse pleased the judges more then the other horses it was showing against. Also, are you talking National Champion Halter horse or National Champion Driving horse? To me there is a differance between the two. While a halter horse might look nice, can he perform too? OK now you can flame away.
default_torch.gif
default_torch.gif

DITTO-DITTO!!! No flames from this direction.

I KNOW there are "National/World Champions" that have never beat more than a couple horses in it's own classes, yet know of others who've never been to a sanctioned show...yet have won over full-sized horses and multiple other minis in Open Halter and Driving classes. Tell me that "Champ" is better...give me a break...
default_laugh.png
default_rolleyes.gif

I stand beside you in MY flame-suit.

Rock River has produced some nice balanced horses over many years. Just because a breeder doesn't advertise heavily doesn't mean their horses aren't nice. they have been breeding for many years.

default_torch.gif
default_torch.gif
I agree 100%. Showing is fine, but there are many EXCELLENT horses that have never been shown.

Just because a breeder doesn't advertise heavily doesn't mean their horses aren't nice.
Again, I agree whole-heartedly! And just because someone does advertise heavily does not mean that their horses always produce great foals. I have seen sons of a particularly highly praised and admired stallion that I would not let near my mares.

default_torch.gif
default_torch.gif
Agreed.

I agree as well, no flames here. The horse doesnt have to have a bunch of show points to be a top horse. Many excel in other areas.

Toyland Zodiac is very well known in the Appaloosa lines- he was one of the 'founding fathers' of the Mini Appaloosas in my opinion.

Yep, Ditto to all the above: Not all Well Bred horses get shown or shown at Nationals. Not all conformationally correct and high quality performance horses get shown or shown at Nationals. We are not able to financially go to many shows and have never had the pleasure of going to Nationals. Yet we have two exceptionally well bred and conformationally correct geldings who I am quite sure would be in the top 10 at Nationals on the right day (halter) and may be in performance with more polish. There are more like them out there, I'm sure, who are just someone's loved companion and pleasure horse. Isn't that what it's all about in the long run? I would love to have the pride of putting a National title on them and, also, acquiring their HOF's; but all that is "paper" in the long run; and only a "few" (few compared to the millions of minis in the world) acquire the long lasting fame of say-Buckeroo, etc. (not to belittle him or others of course). I am just saying; we need to breed for 'well bred' and strive for conformation for function and soundness and for disposition; for those are our show horses and those are our companions-whoever they are loved by-Hear Hear!
default_aktion033.gif

I own a mare from Rock River. She is a 28 inch bombshell! I can't afford to show much, but she's a star in my book. Tiff from Rock River has very fine taste in horses and puts great thought into every breeding. Rock River has been in her family for 3 generations.

This is Rock River Chicquita Supreme, a Flaby's Supreme grand-daughter.
Chicki.jpg

Imagine that - I took a break from the forum for a few days and I got mentioned! Don't I feel special!
default_biggrin.png
I can actually tell you quite a bit about the Rock River side of your colt's dam's pedigree. Sir Winston was a little chestnut pinto that was given to our trainer at the time (Dick Cox) as a Christmas present. I know Dick trained him to drive and showed him some AMHR in this area. Winston had three other paternal brothers that all showed successfully when HAME still had AMHA shows in this area (Alexander, Alibaba and Al). Alibaba was pretty prolific under the Regal farm name, Alexander produced some Maine futurity winners for another forum member, and I will hopefully be showing some of Al's daughters this year. This line was very much the Quarter Horse type but has been consistent in producing very clean legs and pretty heads. Winston's sire, Fibber, was never shown due to a leg injury as a foal, but his sire Snuffy Smith was shown extensively by longtime local breeder Len Huff. Here is the only picture of Fibber I have on this computer (he was 19 at the time):

fibberright622.jpg

Sir Winston actually has the same dam as Chicquita, the little mare that Wendy posted a picture of. Carrie was never shown due to an eye injury. Both her parents were multiple Grand Champions in the AMHA before the draft type went out of style. Carrie's sire was Trios Kodiak, a little black stallion that was out of the imported Trios lines. Carrie's dam was Parrs Little Joy, a linebred daughter of Parr's Little Man, which was a popular bloodline in this region back in the 1980s. We actually purchased that mare (aka "Cherry") from Lowell Boone for $10,000 at the same time the Buckeroo line was really taking off (definitely one of those hindsight situations). Carrie's been retired for over a decade but is still plugging along at my cousin's farm, and while I don't have any pictures of her or her parents on this computer I might be able to scan some of the old show proofs if you'd like.

I'd love to see a picture of your colt, too, since I'm always interested to see what characteristics of the different lines are carrying on and how they are crossing with other bloodlines.

Thanks for the awesome info! I would love to show you pictures of my colt. Here you go:

6 Days old with mom:
IMG_0138.jpg
IMG_0118.jpg

1 month old:
345.jpg

2 months old:
2011-09-02_16-05-57_362.jpg

4 Months Old:
2011-10-14_13-30-04_734.jpg
2011-10-14_14-04-23_115-1.jpg

Current: 6 months:

Latest posts