can anyone identify this plant?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suz

Reaction score
my boy is bad - he is getting into EVERYTHING!!

I hope this isn't poisonous to horses. it has since been cut way back so he can't reach it now.

is anyone familiar with this plant?
default_sad.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/suz322/misc/bush.jpg

Looks like some kind of Yucca, sorry I don't know the poison status of it.

Dunno Suz. It just looks like it's in the palm family ........but I don't really have a clue except it doesn't look like anything he needs to be eating :lol:

OH, hey! Minxiesmom is cool.

Type "dracenea" in google search.

Then hit the "images" bar

Lots comes up in pictures!

Last edited by a moderator:
:new_shocked: Thats a Yucca and I have never seen anything eat that. My goats wouldn't. Wouldn't mess with it either,those stickers on the end are sharp and hurt. Far as I know they aren't poison. maybe he needs another bite or two of hay.

:new_shocked: Thats a Yucca and I have never seen anything eat that. My goats wouldn't. Wouldn't mess with it either,those stickers on the end are sharp and hurt. Far as I know they aren't poison. maybe he needs another bite or two of hay.

I have them in my garden, I love them, but not where the horses can get to them, I would be more afraid of them stabbing their eyes with the sharp ends. I have been stabbed by them and it really hurts. Emagine what they could do to a horses eye, I shudder to think of it. So thats why they are in my area and not theirs.

Please be careful with these. :saludando: JMHO

Joyce

Thanks so much for everyone's replies!

And Minxiesmom, THANKS SO MUCH for putting my mind at ease! :aktion033:

My husband cut those things back immediately after I noticed he had bitten about 6 pieces off.

It's AMAZING what this little guy will eat! sharp, pointy doesn't phase him obviously!
default_wacko.png
:

I'm renaming him "mischief" - he's just like a toddler (he'll be turning 4 this march).

Anyways, I spoke to the vet this morning and here's what she said about the tree and palms (FYI):

Palms aren't toxic, but they could cause him to bind up which is NOT what we would want to happen. so i cut back all the low-lying frans that he could reach and will haul them away.

And the "scrub oak" (i think that's what it is) - is STILL an oak and are toxic . so we are taking that tree down as soon as possible.

she said (like someone else did on this board) that if he was eating enough, he wouldn't eat "bad" stuff, so she suggested more hay (he's already getting 1 flake in the am and 1 in the pm along with his grain). so, when I turn him out, I guess I'll have to throw him more hay so he'll focus on eating that and not the "naughty" stuff....

Sorry so long, but wanted to share :bgrin

Thanks again everyone!!!!
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back