Building up hindquarters..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie.C

Reaction score
Hi all,

My miniature colt is needing some more muscle on his rump, the rest of his boy looks awesome it's just his rump that needs filling out. So looking for suggestions on what I can do..

I guess that depends upon his age , if hes old enough jump him over a series of small bounce jumps , they dont need to be big , if hes younger take him over trotting poles , if you have hills walk him up and down those too

How old? When I showed big horses, we had a very steep hill we would back them up once or twice a day. wouldn't recommend doing it on an animal tats joints haven't closed though.

Long trotting....that will give nice smooth muscling in the hindquarters.

I know someone who used to 'condition' her horses by backing them up...a lot--without exception all the backing up gave her horse big bubble butts. I guess some people like that sort of a back end, but I don't--and not all Mini judges do either. IMO long trotting gives a much nicer result.

Long trotting....that will give nice smooth muscling in the hindquarters.

I know someone who used to 'condition' her horses by backing them up...a lot--without exception all the backing up gave her horse big bubble butts. I guess some people like that sort of a back end, but I don't--and not all Mini judges do either. IMO long trotting gives a much nicer result.
My 24 day old colt has a bubble butt all on his own. He just runs and plays all day long.

LOL I have a gelding that has a really nifty bubble butt all natural too, and it doesn't matter if he runs, trots and stands around all day--it is just there.

But, that's not what I want to create in the horses I show.
default_smile.png

Can you post a photo? 90% of the time, an issue is conformational.

The most important thing is to focus on overall health and athleticism. At the gym, most personal trainers will tell you that targeting a certain body part, like arms, is not the best thing to do.

How old is your colt? Need to be very careful about working a young horse (under 2 years....and depending on their level of maturity...even a 2 year old). Those bones are not solid or fused enough to handle a lot of hard pounding. If he's a yearling, I would NOT do a lot of backing up and definitely would not do any lunging. Free play with some minor encouragement in a very large round pen, plus a feed program designed for his needs would be best.

He's rising 3yrs.

I've attached a photo it's the best one I have on my phone but will grab a proper conformation shot

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back