Bug Project

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystic

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm not new to the forum but I don't come out from hiding too often....but I do read alot! Anyway, my older son Dylan will be having a bug project due this fall when school starts up again and I was wondering if anyone from other parts of the country could "catch" some bugs/insects and send them to us - I'll pay for shipping - that way he might end up getting close to the 40 species he needs. I don't know the details of the project but I do know that they are not allowed to collect spiders, moths, butterflys or endangered insects liking Praying Manites (which is good).

The hardest part with this project.....he will need to pin the bugs whole - meaning if it's missing a leg/wing, etc that bug doesn't count. Does anyone have any insight on how to preserve the bugs until it's time to pin and display? Right now we have the bugs we caught in the refrigerator.

Thanks

Candy

If you do have a bug and would like to send it to us, please email me for our address - [email protected]

We used to use chloroform, soak a piece of cotton, lay bug on and put another soaked piece on top. Can't remember where we got the chloroform though. This was 40 years ago for my two boys who are now 42 and 44. Mandy (my 10 year old granddaughter) and I will start looking right now,sounds like fun. By the way we are from Wisconsin. Will get in touch with you if we find some. We had an eyed click beetle this summer. I had never seen one before. Good luck Dylan. bonnie

Oh great!! I'll check out the chloroform, maybe I can by it at a pharmacy??

Thanks

Candy

Check with the pharmacy as thats where I got ours from years ago. is it just endangered spieces that He doesnt want or all spiders? we are in our dry season but in sept and oct we have migrating terantullas in this area. Ill see if I can scrounge one up . we also have small black scorpions [ less than an inch in length] that I could send. let us know, DR.

Nail polish remover works just as well and is easier to get. I had to do this for my daughter when she was in 5th grade. Baby food jars are great for the chamber.

I used nail polish remover also, a nephew needed bugs for a class he was in (college). I got him a (walking?)stick bug about five inches long. We have a lot of them here and he got extra points for it. I could try to find one for you if you want me to. Or let me know what other types of bugs he needs.

Hi,

Nail polish and a baby food jar? I'll have to try that! The kids are not allowed to have spiders, moths or butterflys in this project. A walking stick would be great, a black scorpion would be great also - Thanks! Any type of "bug" is very helpful - he's suppose to have a sample from 30 different species?!

We won't have the list of species until September but Dylan and some of his friends are starting to collect now.....hopefully it will make it easier when the list does come out
default_smile.png

We appreciate everyone's help with this!

Candy

Candy,

Just wanted Dylan to know I have a few insects for him already. Does he have friends that need a few thousand grasshoppers? (he-he)

Judy

:bgrin He does have some friends that probably could use to extra bugs as well....send them on over! This is great, I haven't told him about this so when the bugs start arriving in the mail he'll be excited.

Thanks,

Candy

Latest posts

Back