Broodmare Weight & Purina's Miniature Horse and Pony Feed.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I switched my entire herd over to the new Miniature Horse & Pony feed that Purina released. I'm loving it, by the way.

But, I'm wondering if I should up my broodmare or not.

I had my mare, Bow, on Omelene 300. I fed her 1.5 lbs everyday and she did great. I haven't seen her look this good since 2007!

255787_117687464984471_100002296543466_165794_4311958_n.jpg

At the moment I'm just feeding her the same 1.5lbs, but of course for her weight the bag says to feed 4.4 lbs.

Should I bump her up to that amount? If not, how much should I feed her?

Thanks again! You all have taken my mare from a skinny mini to a mare who can hold her own against a growing filly! Would you believe me if I told you that she can trot? Yeah, I never would have believed it myself! I LOVE her!
default_wub.png

Julia

P.S. You can see before and after pictures of her from 2010 and 2011.
default_laugh.png

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.117732601646624.30488.100002296543466&l=d718e5a3d5

Last edited by a moderator:
How funny!
default_biggrin.png
I just sent a similar question to Purina today!

Our new mare is about 37" and under 300 lbs. She's been dewormed and had needed dental work done since she arrived in April (she had her baby two weeks after coming to us). She looks better than she did early on, but she's still quite thin and not gaining much weight with her two month old filly at her side. (The filly looks great, though!) I thought about adding Purina Amplify (fat nugget) to her Purina Mini/Pony feed, but here's what Purina replied:

"With the foal at her side, you would be better to increase the Mini Horse & Pony feed rather than adding the Amplify at this point. I would recommend feeding 5 lbs (4.5 lbs for mom and .5 lbs for baby per day). Another option would be to switch to something with more calories that they can both eat, like the Strategy GX. "

I usually will contact the feed manufacturer for their opinion, then decide what's best based on the information available. Naturally, the folks on this forum always have great feedback, too!

I switched my entire herd over to the new Miniature Horse & Pony feed that Purina released. I'm loving it, by the way.
I was going to inquire through the mini feed thread if those just trying it were happy, but you've answered my question

But, I'm wondering if I should up my broodmare or not.
How does she look on the current amount of mini feed? If she looks good, I'd leave it alone. If she seems a little thin, then increase it. I looked at the directions, which say an absolute minimum to be fed is .3#/100# BW; so 300# mare would get .9# absolute minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your mare looks awesome. How much hay is she getting?

I started this new feed a couple of weeks ago and so far I like it. My only issue with it is it doesn't work too well for my easy keepers. So on one who is not showing and is just a gelding he is just on hay and he is looking good and the other gelding who is showing I'm giving him minimum on the grain so I can still give him some hay but I can already see a difference and I'm happy with how he is looking and hoping he will be in top notch condition for Nationals.

Thanks guys.

Bow is actually on free choice hay, which may help, lol.

I think I'll start bumping her up to either the suggested amount or close to it. At the moment I can definitely afford to bump her up to it! LOL! Its much cheaper than Omelene 300! ($6 difference!)

If anybody wants to see a HUGE difference because of the new Miniature Horse & Pony feed on my yearling, I'll post it soon. Stay tuned!
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back