Breed Manager Software

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
We have been using this software for many years and have nearly 1000 horses recorded.

We are able to add in detailed descriptions of the horses including their eye color, color pattern etc. to their pedigrees which gives us more information than the standard "chestnut pinto".

We use it to create a "fictitious foal" where we see in advance what the pedigree will look like on a specific cross.

It was created by miniature horse people and therefore is specific to our needs having entries for AMHA, AMHR, Falabella etc.

I am curious who else has been using this software and what features they use (show records, breeding records, invoices)?

This is the link in case you have not heard of it before:

Breed Manager

Thanks for this post Joanne. I have been looking into purchasing this product and I am glad to see that you like it. I obviously cannot input anything here as I have not tried it yet.

[SIZE=10pt]We've used the Breed Manager for almost ten years and find it essential to our operation. Of course, one has to enter all the information = to get information![/SIZE]

I always print out a health history of a particular horse to give to a buyer, also have pedigrees, notes on foaling, trimming, worming, vet visits and costs, so we can track that info through the year. It's a great, easy to use program, won't be without it.

Wow Rose you are using many of the features that I have not used yet!

I keep copies of the BM pedigrees at the barn in a three ring binder so that I have better details near by me and do not have to run to the house.

I am going to have to try more of the many features and see how they work.

Details of your favorites and how they help you would be appreciated!

I have it and use it, and even though there are many different features to the program, I use mine mainly for pedigrees. I have 884 horses names programmmed into mine. I love how it is just so convenient to view a pedigree of a new (or unborn) foal and the ease to make an HTML copy for my website.

I am going to order my copy! Looks like everyone is pleased with this software!
default_smile.png
default_biggrin.png
Not only can I use it for my own personal horses, but I can also keep accurate records of any and all horses that I foster for CMHR and then will be able to give records to adopters.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
About how much does it cost, the website you listed only tells about it and how to pay for it.

Terri I would contact them and ask the current price. I bought mine years ago.

Worth every penny, whatever the small cost!
default_biggrin.png

I found the information you wanted Terri. Here is the link:

BM Ordering Information

we use it and it has my good rating too

although I don't update the health info enough

I keep a journal for that but I should use

also never knew of the duplicating feature

I have to pay more attention

I use identification for descriptions

and also use the registration area to

show what horses are related as well as registration

we only have 11 minis with only 12 foals born here

so far over the past few years

but its great to keep info organized

How does adding images of the horse help you?

Do they print out on one of the reports?

Can anyone tell me how you go about saving all your information and transfer it to a new computer?

I used this software too and liked it, but when I needed a new computer, I wasn't able to install in with my informaton on the new computer.

I am not sure what i did wrong, but I absolutely could not get it transfered on the new computer.

So now I would just have to re install the software and then go back and add all the information again. (Alot of work!) Which I haven't done yet.

There must be an easier way. Does anyone know?

I had software like that for my Show Rabbits. Well, I still have the software and it can not be used for horses. I was just thinking about checking with Evans software to see if they had software for horses. I really love the rabbit software. It does the possible crosses, It generates pedigrees, you can download pictures of the animal (great in case of theft) Keeps track of breed dates and due dates, show records, Oh, I could go on and on. I think I will check with Evans and see if there is one for horses.

Edited to add: with evens software you have a back up disk where after you have put in your info you do a back up. Then you instal the program into the new computer and then put in your back up disk and everything is there.

Eagles Ring,
The duplicating feature under the Health Section is awesome and a great time-saver.

Also, this program allows you to make records "horse specific" in many ways. The part I like best is on the first page, where you can inidicate the gestation period for that particular mare. Then, when you go to the breeding section for the stallion, and enter the breeding date, it will calculate THAT mare's specific due date based on her personal history. No having to count days, or guess. I really like that feature, since some mares carry longer routinely, and some always seem to come early. This way, I can get the most accurate projection and base my care on that date for that mare.

~~Diane
Thanks so much Diane

I need to take the time to learn what i'm missing sounds great

Lori

Cindy I would check with Breed Manager and ask them.

I have my computer wizards move my programs and information when I get a new computer so I do not know the details. But they have never had a problem and I have had several computers since getting this software.\

You certainly should NOT have to reload all the original information. That is the beauty of the program.

Yes Cindi, just call/email Bill and Wendy and they will be able to help you. When I switcched computers, I was not able to move the database with all the horses names, and Bill managed to get me all fixed up and running again so that I was able to use it on my new computer. Also worthy of mentioning, is that updates for the program are always FREE!! Just a very minimal fee for the disc and postage!!

Thanks

I did try to get ahold of breed manager people at the time because I couldn't save the information to switch to a new computer. I ended up losing all the information.

I don't know what we did wrong. Obviously something.
default_wacko.png

I haven't started the job of re entering all my information, I am going to save that for a something to do this winter when it is snowing, and too cold to do anything else.

Diane, i think i will look into that Carbonite program.. That sounds like what i need.

Yes, the Breed Manager program is great.

Can anyone tell me how you go about saving all your information and transfer it to a new computer?
I used this software too and liked it, but when I needed a new computer, I wasn't able to install in with my informaton on the new computer.

I am not sure what i did wrong, but I absolutely could not get it transfered on the new computer.

So now I would just have to re install the software and then go back and add all the information again. (Alot of work!) Which I haven't done yet.

There must be an easier way. Does anyone know?

Yes, there is a way to transfer the data from one computer to a another. NO, you do not need to input all the info again.

Please contact us at Breed Manager.

Also, message to our all wonderful users. You should back up your program from time to time, in case your computer blows up.!!

We have been using this software for many years and have nearly 1000 horses recorded.
We are able to add in detailed descriptions of the horses including their eye color, color pattern etc. to their pedigrees which gives us more information than the standard "chestnut pinto".

We use it to create a "fictitious foal" where we see in advance what the pedigree will look like on a specific cross.

It was created by miniature horse people and therefore is specific to our needs having entries for AMHA, AMHR, Falabella etc.

I am curious who else has been using this software and what features they use (show records, breeding records, invoices)?

This is the link in case you have not heard of it before:

Breed Manager
Hi Joanne,

Thank you for raising this topic.

Glad to help WJS.

I have not seen it brought up here on the Forum before and I find this to be such a great software for my miniature horses.

I too tend to save a lot of my record entering for the long winter months when I am not so crazy. I also play with my "fictitious foals" then where I put a sire and dam together and see what the outcome would be from a pedigree standpoint. That will accept or eliminate breeding possibilities for the next breeding season.

But I have to confess that I add in the pedigrees of a new horse I am buying nearly immediately upon making the commitment.
default_biggrin.png

It is like saying that it is "mine, all mine" !!

Kind of makes it permanent!
default_wub.png

Another weakness revealed on the forum..........
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back