branding - do they remain so obvious

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby dazzler

Reaction score
Hi. I finally have some better photos of my new filly, who will be arriving on the 16th of this month. I will load them on photobucket tonight hopefully. But my question relates to branding. She was branded yesterday - which appears to be fairly common here in Aust, in order for the horse to be registered with the relevant miniature horse association in Australia. In the photos, she has been shaved/clipped and been branded. Stupid question here but will the hair grow back? Will it be less obvious? Thanks heaps. Kerrie

If she was branded with a hot iron, then the hair should grow back in a darker shade of it's original color and not be exceptionally noticeable. However, if she was freeze branded the hair will grow back, but when it does it will be white, and yes it will be very noticable.

Wanted to add - If she is white or very light colored, if freeze branded I don't think the hair will grow back at all.

Hi this is a photo of one of my mini ponies (dont mind the muddy legs and tail) she is freeze branded the hair grows back fine and is not noticable on light colours but as you can see on the dark it is. A 1 over 3, ugly isnt it lol. But a requirement over here when the coat gets long the white brand does too it just looks messier.

All of this applies to freeze branding as I dont know anyone that does the fire branding where I am.

Shes clipped in this photo

Eating.jpg

Last edited:
When you freeze brand, the action of the freezing damages the colouration of the hair folicle basicly turns the hair white.

If you don't want the brands to be white then the brand is held on for a longer length of time and this then kills the hair folicles and leaves the brand devoid of hair.

I have been told that you can use your ordinary fire brands to do freeze branding, but the handles need to be relatively long! Most freeze brands are made of copper as it conducts cold better than other metals.

At the present time, I think that most, if not all, of the horse breed societies in Australia require branding - either Freeze branding or Fire branding - before an animal can be registered. This usually includes imported animals. If the imported animal isn't branded usually the brand of the importer is used.

I do personally think if you have to brand youngsters that some thought should be given to having a set of SMALL brands made, as the brands do GROW with the animal!
default_yes.gif
:

The hair will grow back to normal length, but may look a little odd until Spring or til when you body-clip her

Latest posts

Back