Bomb Proofing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanch

Reaction score
I am teaching my boy MacDuff to drive. I know what people are thinking, get a trainer, so just to set the record strait, I have trained a horse to drive before and understand what Im doing, and go to lessons with a trainer.

My first boy was scared of nothing. When I did the bomb-proofing part of training he never flinched. I used squeeky toys, tin belt, rakes, anything I could think of, but nothing scared him. But, MacDuff is scared of his own shadow and I know I will have to spend alot of time in this part.

So, my list of thing for getting him use to different situations is as followed:

-anything that drags, on different surfaces

-squeeky toys

-tin belt (dont ask
default_biggrin.png
)

-rake, shovel

-cars, quads, motercycles, trucks, tractors, and bikes. Doing stuff such as hitting the brakes, honking the horn, passing by quickly

-wheel barrow

-horns

-bells

-microphone

-rattles

-pie plates banging together

-dogs or various size and nosie range!

-lawnmowers

-loud, fast music

-walking over blankets, newspaper, tarps, plastic, plywood, different surfaces

-umbrellas

-trash bags

-trash barrels

SOO, after reading my long list, can anyone think of anything else usual or weird or just plain crazy I can put him through (Poor Duff man!)

First show of the year had a balloon arch in the obstacle driving course.

As I'm sure you already know, the most important thing is for him to trust you to keep him out of trouble.

that and miles in the cart.

You seem to have pretty much everything down to bein your bombproofing. What I do with all my horses, is when they are in that spook/flight mode, I touch them. I touch their cheeks, I touch their stomache, etc.. For my horses it has always seemed to make them snap out of it and concentrate on me. Once they seem relaxed and focused on me, I just reward them with love and kisses. Its something thats worked for me. One of my driving geldings has had a shot gun go off and he didn't flinch. The only thing thats flinched him since I've owned him was a full size school bus stopped while i was driving him. The loud diesel freaked him out, but he did great in reacting and not freaking out too much.

Any other animals he hasn't seen - my very bomb proof gelding almost fell over backwards at a box of day 2 week old chicks - the goblins were after him. He's fine now with them, and most of my horses are use to dogs, cats, goats, chickens but that really threw him.

Someone told me in an obstacle class once they had live poultry in cages . . .

You can't do this on a cart, but to hand walk him into a petsmart or other pet store. Walk him up and down aisles. Next to all the scary and vicious combs, bags and even live goblins like snakes, fish ect. Once he trusts you completely in hand, it will be easier to trust you in cart. I will never forget watching my husband with his driving horse (I was driving my gelding behind him) He was doing fine until he came across the horse eating white garbage bags at the curbs waiting for the garbage man the next morning. He would be trotting along and then swing wide around them. I finally went in front and he started getting better. These were the same two boys I had in hand (one on each side of me) as yearlings at a fair show. A very large white cow stopped right in front of us on the way to the barn. Looked at us and mooed. I nearly lost them both. Fortunately someone was there and grabbed one. Now it is funny, but then it was a mess. :DOH!

I think you are getting a little too carried away with the "things" you want to expose him to, and aren't thinking in a bigger picture. "Things" are a minute detail... just because he sees them at home doesn't mean he will be equipped with the things he really needs to "know."

A horse that is "bomb proof" is one that easily overcomes. I don't know what trainer(s) coined the phrase "ability to overcome" but to me it is an ability that I find important in a horse that I drive, ride, or show.

A horse that can easily "overcome" has been trained to respond to "scary things" in a safe way. The horse learns to trust it's handler so that if it finds an object it knows the handler will help him overcome by either blindly trusting, or having the handler allow curiosity to take hold, or have the handler force him through the obstacle. Those are generally the three ways you can get past an object of fear.

No matter how much you work with a horse, that innate "ability to overcome" will always be there. A horse that is nervous and fearful will never be like a horse that was born curious and aggressive about objects. That is something that you need to accept as a trainer/handler. You cannot make a horse what it is not.

However, you CAN work with the horse to create an environment or relationship of support and trust. THAT is what you need to be focusing on.

That's my perspective on the subject.

Andrea

I used to drive alot. The one thing that caught me off guard one day was a bicycle coming toward us. My "bomb-proof" guy nearly exploded!! I could feel him getting tense and nervous when the bike was a good piece down the road. I jumped out of the cart and grabbed his head and stood there soothing and petting and talking to him. I thought he was going to be fine. He was nervous, shaking a little and really watching that horse-eating monster get closer, but he was still under control....until the thing said "Hi, how are you?". Man, if I hadn't had such a good grip, he'd probably still be running today!

So, you might want to try a bicycle!

Skateboards and joggers can blow a horses mind. We put them in the front field [next to the road] with the horses that are used to them and they learn that way. I have found though if YOU ignore something they generally tend to too. Linda

Skateboards and joggers can blow a horses mind. We put them in the front field [next to the road] with the horses that are used to them and they learn that way. I have found though if YOU ignore something they generally tend to too. Linda
That't the truth, Linda. They do tend to feed off our anxiety.

When I work with the mini's bomb proffing them, I look at the elements I will be running into. Shadows for one. When ground driving them in the sun wave your arms or someone else do this while ground driving.

Have someone hide behind trees or bushes and make rusling noises. bring on the dogs or cats, loud screaming from kids playing ball. Laundry on the cloths lines. Just some things i get the mini's used to.

Bags on sticks blowing in the wind. that will get them used to the leaves blowing. I have lots, besides the usual things. But all done while ground driving first.

Have fun

Judy
default_laugh.png

My gelding spooked at:

weed whackers

the noise of a plastic grocery bags when the wind hits them and they blow up like a parachute

kites when they start making flapping noises

I go to a state park a lot and these seem to be the things that got to him.

default_laugh.png
I just want to tell you this little story when i was out driving my mini. His name is sunny.

We were going down the back roads, lots of woods. When sunny started to give me the alert sign. Head and ears very perked. I was talking to him to keem him relaxed. Well, about a 1/4 mile down the road pops a black bear. To the right of us was a house, you guessed it a cub playing in someones birdfeeder. I carry a lead rope with me when i go for rides. (just in case) So I put the rope on him and made a very quiet U turn and left. He was good as he alerted me something was wrong. Everything went fine, no spazzing out. I look at it as we both bomb proofed each other that day. And we trusted each other.

Thanks for letting me share

Judy

Judy that was a NEAT story. That would have FREAKED me OUT!

One thing to take into consideration, your body language, make sure you are confident, and your horse will follow. They are a herd animal, if you are alone together you are his or her herd.

Thank you all for the imput on this, keep it coming
default_biggrin.png

Thats an amazing story Judy, you delt with it so well. I hope I could deal with that situation with the same composure. Last time I saw a black bear, I turned around and ran for dear life
default_blush.png
It must feel good knowing you have a horse like that.

What I do with my driving horses (well all of them), is take them on walks around the streets. They get use to dogs barking and running up to them, kids, cars, birds spooking, etc. etc. You'll encounter most of these on a typical drive around town or even at a show. So that helps.

And then anything that you come across. Like say the sewer drains. They are big black hole covers that are just scary. Take them over those. Water puddles on asphalt. Lots of "scary" things on a typical walk.
default_smile.png

Send him over to spend a month with my family and nothing will phase him.
default_new_shocked.gif

Seriously, I read all the posts and agreed with this one the most......

I think you are getting a little too carried away with the "things" you want to expose him to, and aren't thinking in a bigger picture. "Things" are a minute detail... just because he sees them at home doesn't mean he will be equipped with the things he really needs to "know."
A horse that is "bomb proof" is one that easily overcomes. I don't know what trainer(s) coined the phrase "ability to overcome" but to me it is an ability that I find important in a horse that I drive, ride, or show.

A horse that can easily "overcome" has been trained to respond to "scary things" in a safe way. The horse learns to trust it's handler so that if it finds an object it knows the handler will help him overcome by either blindly trusting, or having the handler allow curiosity to take hold, or have the handler force him through the obstacle. Those are generally the three ways you can get past an object of fear.

I have found though if YOU ignore something they generally tend to too.
Though we do a work a little bit at exposing our horses to different sights, sounds most of their "bomb-proofing" just happens naturally from being handled a lot and being consistent so that they are more confident and just trust us to keep them safe. We do have a couple of more high strung horses young and new to driving and both are very responsive to being talked to a lot in a soothing sort of baby talk. It sounds silly but one was terrified of a person in a very bright sweater with wild patterns that kept moving around near the rail during a driving class and I definitely talked him through it every time I came around and had to pass the person. He was tense but he was flicking his ear back and obviously listening to me saying things like "ooooh...looky at that funny little person in the crazy colors, isn't he funny..." I'm sure it wasn't what I was actually saying, it was the light, soft soothing voice. I've done the same thing when I see something likely to spook my horse first of all I will act like it is no big deal and go with this plan of action first.......

I have found though if YOU ignore something they generally tend to too.
Horses are usually pretty in tune to how you are feeling and what you are thinking and will check in with you mentally to see if you are tense or scared or fearful and take their cue from you as to how they react to whatever is happening. If pretending it is no big deal and ignoring it doesn't seem like it is going to work, at that point I will start talking about whatever is spooking him and get the horse listening and connected to me so that he doesn't get scared and blow up. "see the silly dog barking? isn't he funny? what a goofy little thing.... "

Having said all that....to be fair, my kids are always around our horses if not working with them, playing around them, riding their bikes in the pasture, scooters in the barn, kicking soccer balls, etc. there is usually a radio on in the barn and people coming and going. I've volunteered to have girl scout troops come to our farm and learn about the minis and handle them so they can earn their horse badges, I take minis to school to visit classrooms (they've even ridden in the school elevator) we had a mini play Rudolph the red-nose reindeer in a holiday program, took them in parades -- which is the ultimate sensory overload---crowds, clowns, sirens, lights, marching band, cheerleaders, etc.

We wanted our hunter jumper horses to be exposed to everthing possible so when we were training them we built all sorts of busy, colorful, scary, wild, unusual jumps that they got used to jumping at home and even ordered some of the jumps used at nationals -- like the brick wall -- and then we found out at a little local show that a plain little wobbly jump with a single white pole was too scary for them to jump over!!!

That shows you shouldn't over think it too much and try to prepare for every imaginable situation or obstacle, just keep things simple, build a lot of trust and confidence and connect with your horse so that when something you didn't think up comes along it is no big deal for either of you.

I was sitting in the cart waiting to go in the ring at the state fair (scary enough with just the crowds) and the fireworks started up BEHIND us. Neither me or the horse was expecting it and we both almost had a heart attack and he literally went bouncing straight up in the air, four feet off the ground and came down with one leg over a shaft, I popped out of the cart talking to him calming him down, he reared up again and when he came down I got his leg back off the shaft and I spun him around to he could see the fireworks and told him what they were and how pretty they are and how they only have fireworks like that when the most special horses are driving -- like him of course -- blah blah blah and two minutes later we went trotting in the ring and he was absolutely perfect for me, almost like he was a little embarrassed about getting scared and wanting to be his very best. He went into the ring at his fanciest trot with his head held high so he must have believed my little story about only the most special horses getting to have fireworks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back