Best Foaling Books

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valshingle

Reaction score
I am wanting to supplement my library. I have Blessed Are The Broodmares and The Miniature Horse: A Veterinary Guide. What foaling books do you find essential? I'm looking for books at the college or post-graduate level, if possible. Also, what other vet books do you like? Particulary in the internal medicine field. Thanks!

Complete Foaling Manual by Theresa Jones is my favorite foaling book. In fact, it's been my bible over the years!
default_smile.png

<h1 class="parseasinTitle">[SIZE=12pt]The Complete Book of Foaling: An Illustrated Guide for the Foaling Attendant By Karen Hayes D.V.M.[/SIZE]</h1>

This is the best book I have found. Unfortunately most of the college and text books say something witty like contact your veterinarian! There are a few very technical books in the $100.00 plus range. You can contact me if you want some of those titles.

The Complete Book of Foaling: An Illustrated Guide for the Foaling Attendant By Karen Hayes D.V.M. This is the best book I have found. Unfortunately most of the college and text books say something witty like contact your veterinarian! There are a few very technical books in the $100.00 plus range. You can contact me if you want some of those titles.
I perfer this one, too. I must have five or six different books and this one explains everything the clearest. Complete Foaling Manual is second, I found Blessed are the Broodmares to be dated.

Lucy

The above posters beat me to it
default_smile.png
I re-read them every year
default_smile.png

Jessi

Another really good book is "Breeding Management & Foal Developement" by equine Research, Inc - it is an older book, but it has so much information in it that is still very current - it goes into a lot of detail about so many different issues -- it is kind of like a bible -- lots of really dry reading, but also just tons of info. The company also has a great book on horse colors and a couple of others that are very valuable -- might have to special order it nowadays, it was over $100 when I originally bought my copy back in the 1980's - so it might be pretty spendy by now.

Stacy

"Breeding Management & Foal Developement" by equine Research, Inc

$100?
default_new_shocked.gif
Wow, Stacy - it never cost that much in my Equine Science Program. We had to get all the books in the series - and the genetics one is probably the best...

Heh - I googled it - and now it sells for $95...

http://www.equine-research-inc.com/breeding.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Hah - figures - but I bought it from Mills Tack Shop and they were well known for having spendy stuff - back then Google, Amazon, etc didn't exist, so you bought the books from the people who sold them - primarily tack stores.

Sta

[SIZE=12pt]I bought mine through EBAY for 24.95
default_wink.png
I have all the Equine research books
default_biggrin.png
EBAY!!!
default_wub.png
[/SIZE]

Joy

PS I have the other two foaling books too. They are great!!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've ordered the Theresa Jones book (Complete Foaling Manual), the Karen Hayes book (The Complete Book of Foaling) and Breeding Management and Foal Development . Stacy, to make you really feel sick, I found Breeding Management and Foal Development new on Amazon for $55! Soon I'll have lots of books to read while waiting for the next mare to foal towards the end of the month.

Latest posts

Back