Best CHEAPEST Wireless Cameras???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I have/had a nice (expensive) wireless camera from the Saddlebrook Barn Cams place but the plastic receiver fell and the antenna thing broke and seems something was jarred loose inside as it doesn't work anymore. I no longer raise horses, so only need one camera and something inexpensive for occassional use only, for when I have my big horses in, just so I can keep an eye on them. It needs to have afairly long "line of sight" capability as we are over 300' to the barn, plus needs to be longer as it has to go through objects. Hoping you can share your best kept camera secrets with me. I would much rather have a hard-wired camera but because of the distance involved, it just won't work. Thanks!

Marestare told me to go with the camera from harbor freight and I love my camera, I think the cord is only 90ft long but you can buy regular card from Lowes and run it, I did it by myself so it has to be simple. I think I paid $30 with free shipping
default_smile.png
Going on 2 years of use and holding strong, just used it a couple weeks ago when my dads quarter pony was sick.

I agree with Leeana..............The Harbor Freight color camera is awesome!! You won't find a better price!! I have three of them, and they work great in my metal barn!!! You just buy the telephone wire, and you can add to the length. My hubby buried mine to the house.
default_yes.gif

The problem with burying the line is that the connects will get some moisture, PLUS, because it would take so many pieces, the more breaks there are in the wire, the poorer the signal. This said, I have had both wored and wireless cameras and I MUCH, SOOOOOO MUCH prefer the wired!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Leeana and Pam, do you know exactly what type of cable is required? Do you know for sure, without a doubt, if it is like this? I can get a 500' roll reasonably priced, so if this is it, I can get this type of camera.

Info:

• SUPER HIGH QUALITY SIAMESE CABLE RG-59/U 20AWG & 2/18AWG REEL IN A PULL-OUT BOX & HD READY
Features:

• Brand New - Premium Quality Siamese Cable
  • Make installation of surveillance systems easier by carrying video over the coax and power over the 18/2! Dual shield RG59/U coax cable features a 20 AWG center conductor for a truly clean video signal. 95% braid for longer distance and enhanced signal reliability protects the video signal from external EMI/RFI while providing a reliable path for PTZ signal control. Swept tested to 3 GHz to ensure performance. The cable jacket is sequentially marked every feet to aid in tracking the remaining cable on the spool.
  • Reel in a Pull-Out Box for easy installation.
  • Perfect for Security systems, Surveillance cameras, Satellite, Cable TV, Antenna installations, etc.
  • Built to high standards to ensure reliable performance.
  • Running "FT" count printed on cable makes measuring easy
  • Center conductor 20AWG, 95% braid with 100% shield, PVC jacket.
  • Power 18AWG Gauge.
  • Dual Shielding. Fully Sweep - Tested to 3000MHz, 75 Ohm.
  • Premium qualityng temperature of -40 to +80 degree C allows use in a wide range of applications.
  • Heavy duty cable with improved quality for video.
  • Perfect for indoor and outdoor use. Made to work in any weather condition.
  • Video & Power.
  • HD ready

Mona, we call the wire "I-wire" or "inside wire" used for telephones. It has a beige colored outer coating. You can buy it at Wal-Mart. They also sell the plastic connectors to use. If you happen to know a local 'telephone guy,' he/she could fix you up. When we buried the wire, we run it through a 3/4" conduit. In our old house, we just had it run through some trees and in through our bedroom window. LOL It's much better now. :)

Thanks Pam...but I don;t think you can buy that type n stores because it would be considered a "bulk" amount??

Thanks Dianne. We tried one of these baby monitor ones several years ago, but were too far to get a signal.

Really??? The camera is in the stall furthest from our house and I am kinda surprised we pick up the signal, however, works wonderfully. Have you tried looking on ebay or CompUSA, there are some great deals on those sites.

Yes, I ended up buying a wireless long range one one online...will see how it works, and if good, will try a second one.

Mona, I got a really long wire, I would say it was for 400 foot or so for under $20 I am thinking? Ours has been under ground for going on 2 years now and we are still good
default_smile.png
No problems there. I am not sure I know the technical name for the wire, I basically just told the guy at Lowes what I needed it for and he took care of it LOL.

The only thing I don't like about that camera, is that swivel on the base of the camera where after you mount the cam and move the cam itself to view the horse, that went bad real quick, so we resort to other ways to position the vision of the camera (usually duck tape).

Unsure if they still make them, but my Swann nighthawk cameras have been doing the job for us now for many years, were not expensive, and were easy to install and set up. I love them. I have five of them, but our system can only do four at once. They carry sound, and have great night vision.

Jill, are yours wired or wireless? I did see that brand last night while I was searching, so thinking they do still make them.

I use mine wirelessly, but I think they may be able to be wired if anyone wanted to. I think we got them in 2007, and have used them off and on since then. They're great!!! ............... I have a spare (video gaming) tv in the bedroom wired for them and same in our living room, so you can have them "talk" to multiple TV's.

Last edited by a moderator:
If what you have coming does not work, these should if they're still making them. We haven't missed anything we put under the cameras since deciding we needed some.

How far are you from the barn? I think that is my biggest problem, is getting good reception from the barn to the house.

Latest posts

Back