Beet pulp without molasses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeCFarm

Reaction score
Anyone know any sources of beet pulp without molasses? I know I can rinse beet pulp until the water runs clear, but when someone else has to feed for us when we're out of town, I get worried!

Edited to add: This is for an IR horse, thus my concern!

Last edited by a moderator:
We get it here without molasses, comes from a mill in AZ. Also, even with molasses, the sugar content is not very high from my understanding.

Thank you Lori, but when you have an IR horse, you do what you can to remove EVERY bit of sugar that you can. What is it called? How do they phrase it on the bag when it is without molasses? I've tried doing a search and can't find anything. Brand name please?

I go to our local co-op and ask for beet bulp without molasses. They have it in stock. I don't remember the brand offhand, can look when I next go down to the barn, but it says No Molasses on the bag.

I am not able to find beet pulp without molasses, but what I do is soak the beet pulp in water and then rinse it clear in a colander to remove all the sugar.

Good luck,

Liz R.

Can you get beet pulp PELLETS? We can get shreds with or without molassas and PELLETS that only come without. You have to soak pretty long but they plump up nice and no molasses...

I'll try to find some pellets and see if they have molasses. Last I knew, all I could get around here was the shreds with molasses.

Hosscrazy, we rinse the beet pulp, but when we are out of town and have someone else feeding, I'm always scared they may not do it right.

I just picked up flyer from my grain store for new product called Speedi-Beet.

It has no molasses- 95% suger free and it soaks in 10 minutes. I havent tried it yet, but here is the website so you can see if this is what you are looking for, If you try it ,let us know ,how it works..JANE

SPEED-BEET

ThreeCFarm,

I have a horse that I suspect is IR, too. Both shreds and pellets come with and without molases. I checked with all my feed stores to find the ones in my area that carry the beet pulp without molases. I feed the pellets, when I do feed beet pulp. Make sure you read the label before you take the bag home. I had a feed store tell me their beet pulp did not have molases only to find out that it HAD molases. Thankfully I hadn't left the store yet.

On another note regarding beet pulp, does feeding beet pulp help prevent sand colic like feeding pysillium does? It is an ongoing discussion at my barn. Some think it does, some think it doesn't.

I use that 'speedi-beet'. It's imported from England I believe. I buy it here in Australia and Bailey loves it.

It only takes 5 minutes to soak and is molasses free.

It looks like the only place Speedi-Beet is available in the US is in Jane=P's area. The local feed stores all say they haven't been able to get the molasses free version for the last 3 or 4 years. sigh... I'm willing to drive to get it, so I guess I'll have to start calling feed stores in other towns, and even parts of Texas.

Greetings!

I share your pain! The unmolassed beet pulp shreds are called "plain" beet pulp. Unfortunately, my last purchase is hibernating in the grain freezer, which is burried under a few hundred pounds of feed, or I'd tell you who distributes it.

Here's an online beetpulp source I just found : MathieEnergy.com

If you have access to Triple Crown feeds where you are, their Low Starch is WONDERFUL! I also read recently that Buckeye Feeds has a new low starch feed. Both formulas contain beet pulp and are balanced with vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and extra Omega3 and Omega6 fatty acids. (I like these two brands because I know exactly what my horses are getting. Many other manufacturers use the least cost method, which means the ingredients aren't consistent.) Both Buckeye and Triple Crown have very good articles on nutrition and NSCs/NFCs.

Oh, the point of mentioning this is that I used to do a lot of special feeding stuff to help my mare. Now she gets the TC Low Starch and as much good grass hay as she chooses. She's doing well! I supplement with plain beet pulp and Buckeye Ultimate Finish in the winter for extra calories.

Faith

LakeHaven Sanctuary

I just today found someone who can get me the Triple Crown feeds and I ordered some. They should have it tomorrow. I caught them just in time, LOL.

I'll check that link, thanks Faith.

Latest posts

Back