bedding and mister ??'s

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
I understand you need to bed foaling stalls with straw but do you remove all shavings first or just put a big healthy layer of straw on top of shavings.

I use a large flake shaving and there is no dust but maybe its the foal eatting the shavings more than breathing in the dusty shavings thats a danger?

Peanut has only been in the new barn full time a week now...brand new, new mats,new everything ( I did clean mats w/bleach after putting them in )so as far as being cooty free...its about as clean as it will ever be but Im just not sure about the shaving/straw thing.Shes due the 20th if I start the straw next week just to be safe and continue for a week after birth...how much straw is that? 12x15 stall...would 5 bales be enough? I have NO IDEA how it fluffs up....is it harder to clean? Do you use More or less than shavings?

Also we broke down and did get professional misting system installed in the new barn.Its awesome so far and both the horses seem to really enjoy how cool it stays....I will have to shut it off at night b/c it seems to make the camera screen flake out alittle but was wondering if anyone else has them on or do you shut them off when babies arrive.

I know some large farms that never use straw, thats just your choice. But I always have shavings down in the stall and when the mare has foaled and I clean out the wet shavings, I put down a thin layer of straw. Just enough to keep the baby up off of the shavings. Then I don't add any more. As I clean the stall, I take out the dirty straw until there isn't anymore and by then the foal is fine on shavings. I think I used a half a bale of straw. It is hard to clean which is why you really don't need much. My foaling stall is about 14 x 14.

Good luck with your baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always leave the shavings down and just add the straw on top when you think she is about to foal. The straw doesn't stick to babies umbilical cord or go in eyes and nose. I bought milk testing strips this year "Foal-Time" for my mare and she tested ready at 18.30 so I bandaged her tail and laid down the straw. She progressed nicely and foaled at 20.30

I usually leave the straw down for about a week and gradually remove it as it gets dirty. Straw is very easy to clean but without the shavings underneath the pee does tend to smell. I think 5 bales will be just fine if you wait until she is ready.

good luck
saludando.gif

I never use straw for foaling, thought I have in the past. I use my paper shavings. There's no smell, and the horses don't eat it. One bag or two will do the entire stall.

Putting 5 bales of straw in a stall seems like a lot to me. Poor foal will be up to her chest and unable to move IMO.
default_biggrin.png

Putting 5 bales of straw in a stall seems like a lot to me. Poor foal will be up to her chest and unable to move IMO.
default_biggrin.png
I'm thinking she meant 5 bales to get through "foaling season". I honestly don't know how much it would take, I dont' use straw, just some of the grass hay.

Heidi, please no straw!

Bed with minimal shavings just a regular layer, not over the top deep or anything, and put hay on top of it. You're good to go!

PS: I love misters but I would not be misting the baby.

I leave a good layer of shavings down and then put straw down on top.. The shavings help soak up the urine/foaling fluids.. When the baby is a week old they get switched back to just shavings.

Latest posts

Back