bagging up

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raine

Reaction score
My Mare who is only 4 months pregnant has already got a bag ,a small one but its there.Have any of your mares had bags at such an early stage in their pregnancys ???,but my mare that is due any moment hasnt got one at all!!!!!
default_wacko.png

Raine,

I have had two mare bag up and NOT be bred. Just a hormonal thing my vet said.

I hate to ask a stupid question, but did you handbreed yourself, or buy them bred? Sometimes not all sellers are honest. So, I wondered if dates could be off. Or if they were confirmed by U/S? Ugh, all these questions.....Sorry! I bet it is just hormones. And if your other mear is a new mommy her bag my grow overnight.

I have 2 mares confermed in foal by u/s. One is due some time in January (I think). She is bagging normally (for her). She has had one other foal with us. I have to re-do her gate on her stall because she is so protective over babies (hers or not). Anyway, the other mare I do not know when she is due as I never saw him cover her. She has NO bag at all. My other mare that is not bred also has somewhat of a bag. I don't know why because she really doesn't like being a mom. She takes care of her foal but would rather not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raine,I have had two mare bag up and NOT be bred. Just a hormonal thing my vet said.

I hate to ask a stupid question, but did you handbreed yourself, or buy them bred? Sometimes not all sellers are honest. So, I wondered if dates could be off. Or if they were confirmed by U/S? Ugh, all these questions.....Sorry! I bet it is just hormones. And if your other mear is a new mommy her bag my grow overnight.
The mare thats bagging up was breed by me but i havent had her u/s because it really stresses her out i am waiting for my wee foal to come in the post but i am pretty sure she is pregnant.

My other one is a new mommy ....wow so many things to learn, i dont think you ever stop learning when it comes to horses!!!!
default_laugh.png

I will never stop learning either! Just when I think I am prepared for all situations! I realize I am not!
default_laugh.png

I see you are in Spain. Can you get wee foal urine kits for your mare? They are roughly $40. Just put her in a fresh stall with shavings and she will pee.

But honestly, a mares udder can get full and then get tight again.

Good luck Honey! Any time you need help. Just email or post. Thats what we are here for.

Thanks Ellen, i have ordered my wee foal from scotland, cant get them here in Spain..this is a great site i spend far to much time reading it..
default_biggrin.png

So glad you could get it! Let me tell you in advance, my first test I did I screwed up by flooding the well with too much urine. Just becareful. But my results were accurate. Even though I ended having an U/S done on them to confirm. Talk about absessive. LOL!

Latest posts

Back