Bad Conformation,or what?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as getting weight on this horse, I would start with worming; even if you have already wormed if he were mine I would do 7 days with Safeguard and then follow up the next week with a dose of Ivemectin. I have had a horse that got shipped in from the shippers (long story there
default_wacko.png
: as she was at the shippers place for 3 weeks) and had gone downhill. Reason I know is the buyer took pictures right before they loaded on the shippers trailer who was suppose to go to my house directly......

Now another option "if" he is not eating what is put out in front of him might be to give him a B-12 shot. If he isn't eating either checking his teeth would be an option, as hooks can cause pain.

As far as feeding, I also use free choice hay (REALLY good quality bremuda hay) for the ones I am trying to put a little weight on, I have one in the show barn now that needs a " LITTLE " extra, you can't see a bone on him but is just a little "raw", just for comparision, he has a hay bag full of hay, he gets 4 cups of Omolene 200 + 2 cups of oats + 2 cups of Equine JR - ALL of that twice a day. Then for lunch he is getting 2 cups of chopped alfafa + 1 cup (dry) beet bulp.

As far as sweet feed being a no-no; we all have our opinions on things which is great. But I feed/have feed Omolene 200 for upteen years (ok about the 10 I have been showing) and am utterly happy with it, horses looks great (ok my opinion) and feel great (sometimes too good ask JILL about destiny in KY LOL).

Back to your original question - yes I would be gelding him.

Last edited by a moderator:
tc i pls reread my post. I put right on there that he needs a good complete feed like Purina Equine jr to get his weight back up.

Im not picking on you but I feel its really unfair to hint that pictures are doctored etc when they were not. This horse was not thin when you picked him up.

Before you buy another stallion for breeding (or any horse) really educate yourself on what good conformation is. Know what your breeding goals are etc. Study bloodlines etc and learn about what different bloodlines tend to throw.

But for sure you need to reevaluate how you feed your horses
default_smile.png
Hey Kay again,just reread it,and yes I know you aren't picking on me,and no I wasn't hinting that the pictures are doctored,nor have I ever,just wanted to show ya'll to compare the pictures,because he does look ALOT better in the one before he went down in weight. I love the little guy no matter how he looks,and he will always have a home here
default_wub.png
:

I know many do not like sweet feed,

I do not feed sweet feed.

But, I know a ton of people that do and have and continue to do so with success.

I do not believe the weight loss has to do with the sweet feed.

I think you can look at a picture and venture a guess as to what the problem may be. But to look at a picture and say for sure it is due to an injury or lack of feeding.

Have you stood and watched this horse eat? Been to the farm?

Sometimes we need to look beyond the picture.

I feed a good complete feed, my choice and it works. If one of my horses got thin all at once and I took a picture, you may say (just by what has been given here), that the horse is not being fed correctly.

In my opinion, a picture can not and does not give the entire story.

There could be a ton more going on here.

All things needs to be looked into.

I think offers of help here would be better than some of the things being offered. Being critical is not helpful. And though you may consider what you are doing helpful, remember, typed words can be read different by all and in my opinion, the way I read some, it is critical.

Did you get your staillion with this bump? If you know the people who sold you him maybe they would give you more info as to how or what the bump is, how it appeared? i am more worried about this bump then his weight. You can change their wieght quite easily, with the right feeds and time but i really am interested as to what this bump it. Is it hard or does it feel like fluid?

I really think that if you get him on a complete feed like equine jr or buckeye grow n win, you will start seeing some results. Sweetfeed is not good for young horses and i used it for the first year with my horses but i eventually got smart and switched to a complete feed (buckeye grow n win).

There are also some good suppliments you can start him on as well. I would try either WeightBuilder or Nutraglo. Weightbuilder you can find at TSC but Nutraglow you have to order off the phone. Both are worth there weight in gold, never tried weightbuilder but i've heard good stories about it.

Worming is something i would make sure you were keeping up on to.
See thats what gets me and I don't want to go against our vet by any means,BUT he is UTD on everything,blood profile was ran,and was fine,he runs and plays in the pasture,like nothing is wrong,and yes has been on a proper worming schedule,thats why I am worried about him,is it something we are overlooking,or??

and yes I have seen him eats,he eats it all,no grain coming out of his mouth or anything like the signs of bad teeth.

Did you get your staillion with this bump? If you know the people who sold you him maybe they would give you more info as to how or what the bump is, how it appeared? i am more worried about this bump then his weight. You can change their wieght quite easily, with the right feeds and time but i really am interested as to what this bump it. Is it hard or does it feel like fluid?
When we got him here I don't think it was there,because I sure didn't notice it,however when he dropped the weight it showed up,it feels just like the rest of his backbone,and its in "sync" with his backbone,which is why I ask,could it be a slipped desk or conformation defect? I know its gotta be something,it couldn't just come out of the blue could it?

Is there any pain in it? Does he flinch when you put pressure on it? Have you noticed anydifference in growth in it? What age is he? I am asking this because we have a thoroughbred filly who just suddenly had a huge bump on her head. We thought one olf the others had kicked her but it was hard and she felt no pain. We brought her to a specailist vet and found out the she was to in calcium and her bones were growing quicker than her boby could cope with. This is just a small suggestion it could be something totally different. I have a lot of thoroughbreds so i always worry about bumps.

Is there any pain in it? Does he flinch when you put pressure on it? Have you noticed anydifference in growth in it? What age is he? I am asking this because we have a thoroughbred filly who just suddenly had a huge bump on her head. We thought one olf the others had kicked her but it was hard and she felt no pain. We brought her to a specailist vet and found out the she was to in calcium and her bones were growing quicker than her boby could cope with. This is just a small suggestion it could be something totally different. I have a lot of thoroughbreds so i always worry about bumps.
He is 3yrs old,and no as far as the vet and I can tell no pain at all,he outruns everyone,up and down his fence in his paddock! When you put the pressure on it,he doesn't flinch or anything eathier..I just don't know..I am worried though about him!

Metioning his paddock that is something else I forgot to metion,he is a pacer,he won't stand still for more then a min,unless he is munching on his hay,or grain.

The bump is a real mistery keep an eye on it if it get any bigger take action. The paddock weaving is so annoying we have a thoroughbred mare who does that luckily she stoped when she has company in the field with her but when she is alone it is so annoying to watch we have to train her from the field as she just none stop weaves all day in a box.

I know what it is like to be just really starting with minis and getting set back like this just keep trying don;'t geld him until you are sure and don't take notice of disagreeable people it happens all over the world just put your head down and do the best thing for your mini. I have meet some people i disagree with but also so that i will be friends with for life on this forum and thats just the way it goes.

The bump is a real mistery keep an eye on it if it get any bigger take action. The paddock weaving is so annoying we have a thoroughbred mare who does that luckily she stoped when she has company in the field with her but when she is alone it is so annoying to watch we have to train her from the field as she just none stop weaves all day in a box.

I know what it is like to be just really starting with minis and getting set back like this just keep trying don;'t geld him until you are sure and don't take notice of disagreeable people it happens all over the world just put your head down and do the best thing for your mini. I have meet some people i disagree with but also so that i will be friends with for life on this forum and thats just the way it goes.
:saludando: Thank you,plus everyone else!

Just another take on things, but I think the hump will go away if you have his feet done by a GOOD farrier a few times. I have seen other horses that have come to me like that and after getting their feet done by a professional and GOOD farrier a few times it went away. Of course your boy still needs weight on him. That said, all the weight and farrier work won't change the basic conformation flaws Lyn pointed out.

-Amy

When you bought him did you ask exactly what he was eating prior? Some horses are just hard keepers I have a mini who got VERY thin over the winter I was mortified.. Iknew he was a bit thin but when I clipped him I was shocked and he was getting alot of feed. He is now at a good weight but I mean eats ALOT of food

2 flakes of hay yes full flakes (alfalfa) 10 cups of soaked beet pulp, 3 cups of safe choice, 3 cups of grass pellets a day that is as much as some of my horses eat in days not one day :new_shocked:

He is just a active growing boy who needs alot of food at this stage in his life.

Sorry can you explain how the connection between a hump or lump on his back relates to having his hoofs done?? l'm racking my brains but nothing is coming through. :lol:

Relic,

In reply to your question, in humans and other animals feet problems can manifest other issues. For instance, in Humans you can actually have liver and kidney problems that have been related directly to wearing the wrong size shoes or the angle of heels in womens shoes or even the way certain people walk. I think that is what PocketPonies was trying to say. The body of both humans and animals is a very mysterious thing and we have yet to determine how everything links up. There are still numerous uncharted theories on way certain diseases occur and what can be used to fight them the same holds true with horses. I believe someday that there will be a natural cure of message that will help prevent colic it is just a matter of time and trials and errors.

We had a full sized horse that had been injured by another, whose back ended up out of place and she developed a 'full look' over that area. We had no idea her back was out. When we had her checked by the vet for something else, the vet was experienced with that and pointed it out, so out came the chiropractor.

WOW, she was like riding a different horse after that- used her rear end better, the fullness over that area went away, turns were better... it was amazing. We felt really bad that she may have suffered some over it (I know I do when my back is out)

You may want to have that checked by a vet that is familiar with that type of thing... It is amazing how the body can change shape when something hurts and other muscles are over used to compensate...

TC, I learned with my then yearling colt just how much food they can require to keep weight on them. Granted your guy is a bit older, but if he's pacing the fence, dealing with hormones and playing actively, he's probably going right through what he's taking in. Newbies almost always hear again and again the dangers of too much grain -- I know I was afraid of overfeeding, but I gradually adjusted his feeding program upward, and now he's a nice, plump little boy...actually, a bit fluffy, but I'd rather have a slightly chubby youngster than a skinny one.

I've also found that beet pulp works wonders for hard keepers, but make certain that he isn't eating that INSTEAD of his concentrates.

Remember that not all vets are knowledgeable about minis -- not saying that yours isn't, but you need tospeak up and ask questions, plus learn all that you can on your own.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how he does.

TC, I learned with my then yearling colt just how much food they can require to keep weight on them. Granted your guy is a bit older, but if he's pacing the fence, dealing with hormones and playing actively, he's probably going right through what he's taking in. Newbies almost always hear again and again the dangers of too much grain -- I know I was afraid of overfeeding, but I gradually adjusted his feeding program upward, and now he's a nice, plump little boy...actually, a bit fluffy, but I'd rather have a slightly chubby youngster than a skinny one.

I've also found that beet pulp works wonders for hard keepers, but make certain that he isn't eating that INSTEAD of his concentrates.

Remember that not all vets are knowledgeable about minis -- not saying that yours isn't, but you need tospeak up and ask questions, plus learn all that you can on your own.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how he does.
Alright I will keep you posted with pictures,ect as he starts to improve! Thanks for all the help you guys!

I just wanted to say that if you ever have to question it then do it. If your not absolutly sure a colt is stallion quality the snip snip. Thats the guide I go with and I can say all have been gelded except one but he was eventually gelded for other reasons.

[SIZE=10pt]T.C. Miniature Horse Farm - You have a p.m. comming![/SIZE]

Lori

Latest posts

Back