Australia Wildfires--96 killed; deadliest ever

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverDollar

Reaction score
Austraila Wildfires

I hope all our Australian forum members are okay.
default_sad.png
This is a very tragic situation down under. Living in California, where we have our share of wildfires, I can feel for these folks and my heart (and prayers) go out to them. There are also floods in the north:

"While the deadly fires and a heatwave raged in southeast Australia, floods from torrential rains claimed lives in the north, with one victim a five-year-old boy feared snatched by a crocodile as he walked his dog."
default_new_shocked.gif
default_no.gif

Please check in when you can and let us know how you're all doing.

Rebecca

I was just reading about this and wondering myself if any of our forum members were involved. Sounds awful. When I lived in the High Desert in So Cal we had a fire that ripped through half our town. Luckily not my half but I still remember how fast it traveled through the tumbleweeds and brush. People's car windows were blowing out as they escaped. My backyard was filled with friend's evacuated critters(my mom's grape vines were the goats delight!). I can't imagine just how big that fire is in Australia.

I was just reading about this and wondering myself if any of our forum members were involved. Sounds awful. When I lived in the High Desert in So Cal we had a fire that ripped through half our town. Luckily not my half but I still remember how fast it traveled through the tumbleweeds and brush. People's car windows were blowing out as they escaped. My backyard was filled with friend's evacuated critters(my mom's grape vines were the goats delight!). I can't imagine just how big that fire is in Australia.

Where did you live in So Cal High Desert??? We lived in Yucca Valley and had a fire that had spread from one town clear to 2 other towns wiping out everything in it's path. The towns got lucky but a lot of homes got destroyed and property got burned up. We were in 1/4 mile of it and we've got pic's of the water helicopters flying above our house and dumping water on the fire. The smoke was terrible. We almost had to evacuate cause of it and then the fire kept coming closer and closer. I was so worried cause one of my horses didn't know how to trailer and all I could think to do was tie him to the back of the trailer and go down the road. I was terrfied for my horses. I really feel for people in disaster situations, my heart goes out to them. I hope the Australian forum members are okay too and will check in with us. TJ

I'm here and I'm safe.

This is the most devestating thing I have ever lived through. I am west of the fires, but I do live in a 'fire zone'. We have been in a severe draught for years now so the country side is 'crisp' and full of fuel. It's a disaster waiting to happen. We had plenty of warning that Saturday was going to be a disasterous day. We had a top temperature of 47 degrees, which is a record for Melbourne. That's over 118 degrees for you guys! And just to make matters worse, the winds were extreme. I mean, trees were blowing down, massive dust strorms etc. By mid morning we began hearing stories of fire outbreaks. The eastern side of the state was alight.

The death toll has now risen to 108 people, with lots more expected. Even though people knew the fire danger, so many people were caught unaware. They were burnt alive in their cars trying to flee the scene.

3263776501_bd254eaca4_o.jpg

3263782111_f58920d9ed_o.jpg

3263776235_7c7e8c14da_o.jpg

3263793785_2c37b5e3bf_o.jpg

I'm trying to get more photos downloaded for you guys to see so check back.

Please keep these poor people in your thoughts. It's been a tragic weekend and the fires are still burning.

xox Leonie xox

3263776997_bdbd13dfd2_o.jpg

3263776777_bf6a6840f8_o.jpg

3263782323_2ca247bae6_o.jpg

3264617118_4d48243009_o.jpg

3264627732_4318d05c18_o.jpg

3263803027_bca7643fb9_o.jpg

As you can see, entire streets have been wiped out. In fact, entire towns are gone.
default_sad.png

Thanks for checking in Leonie. I am glad you are okay but stay on guard. I heard the death toll had risen and they expect it to go higher; I'm keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. We in California have seen such devastation firsthand, but not like what you are experiencing over there. Thank you for the photos. So very sad.

An hour away doesn't sound that far to me. Any chance of them getting this under control ?

Glad to hear you and your crew is okay !

Keep us posted. We'll keep praying.

Glad to hear you're alright. Praying for you and everyone there Leonie! That's awful and terrifying.
default_no.gif

Prayers for your safety and for the fires to be gotten under control. God keep you and yours safe. Prayers for Australia.

OMG!
default_new_shocked.gif

Please, where is all of that going on in relation to Laverton? My good friend lives there and I'm very worred about him!

default_sad.png

Reo, all will be fine with your friend. Laverton is safe. Check my new thread about the firestorm so you can see it on a map.

Take care

xox Leonie xox

What a nightmare it must be......we watch and worry as California burns it seems like every year but this is such an enormous fire, it's hard to imagine the scope of it. Our prayers go out to everyone there, and our hope that it's under control soon.

We have been in a drought and are tinder box dry here too, so it certainly has our attention.

Jan

Oh, I hope they can control it soon. I can't believe how horrible it is. Prayers to everyone down there.

Maplegum: Glad you and your furries are okay. Stay safe! Thanks for the updates, but those pics
default_no.gif

Natures fury is so terrifying. I'm glad you at least have been able to check in Maplegum and safe. 2 summers ago someone lit a fire in a brush pile along side the road below our house. It was 4 in the morning when we were awakened by a helicopter pilot hovering over our house and it was one of the most frightening experiences of my life. It took 2 volunteer fire crews, the forestry crew and the helicopter to douse it, burned about 2acres and then when they thought it was out it popped up again a quarter mile from the first fires edge further into our trees. We lost about half of our winters hay because the crews soaked it with water to keep it from igniting (which would have meant loosing all of it) and I still shudder when I see the charred trees left standing in the burned over areas. I can sure empathize with anyone else who is even a little threatened by fire. Please stay safe.

Oh Gosh Leonie
default_new_shocked.gif
I'm so thankful you guys are ok
default_unsure.png
What a horrible thing! I just can't imagine people burning in their cars! It must have been a very fast moving fire.
default_no.gif
Is it out now or is it still burning?

The fires are just horrific. Still 24 fires burning out of control.Death toll is 173 but still rising and looks like it will go to over 200 or more.
default_no.gif

I am not in any danger but have friends who are still fighting fires near their properties, and friends that have lost houses and/or livestock.

Just hope the firies can get them under control before next weekend as the forecast is for hot weather again.
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back