Aussie mini people - Feeding help.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie.C

Reaction score
Hey guys, am after some help on feeding my 2 geldings who im bringing in to start show prep on in the next few day, after advice on what everyone feeds, as last show season i couldn't find the right feed for them. Id find a feed that would suit one but would heat the other one up - i dont mind a bit of fizz but it turned him into a bratt.!!

Also after something to either add to their feed or a feed that contains something that will have thier coats looking awesome.

TIA

Corny
default_smile.png

Hey Katie.C

I haven't had the experience of showing yet but someone who has from Qld gave the this advice as this is what she does with her horses she's about to show.

"My show horses are stabled up to 18hrs every day, let out during the day but only hardly not grass at all. They get high protein feed twice a day, if raining in kept in 3 times a day. Some also get muzzled during stable time as they are known to eat anything, so that means sawdust, which is what will cause colic. They get No Grain Gold (2 cups), Race Formula 3 (1 cup), speedi beet (1 soaked cup), some chaff and hay, twice daily. They are worked 20-30 minutes daily with maybe 1 day off between every 2."

Hope this helps.

I give my minis Cell Provide by Kohnke's Own. There coat is definitely looking better.

Please remember when deciding what to feed, that horses are trickle feeders and to keep their systems healthy they do require 'little and often' and plenty of fibre. The diet suggested above is obviously not supplying the horses mental needs or their dietary needs, or they would not need to be muzzled!

Will try to contact another member from Aussie on here, she will advise you I'm sure.

I did think it was quite a strict regiment when I first read it. I just thought it musta been how everyone did it. My minis are just in healthy 24/7 paddock condition, I just give them supplements to cover anything the hay or paddock has missed.

Will keep an eye on this thread, would like to know others prep for showing.

I agree with Anna, too many showies cut out the forage needs of their minis and problems such as ulcers become very common.

My guys get stabled and yarded on minimal to no grazing with as much group turnout as possible. They get a full biscuit of hay overnight, sometimes soaked if they are the hay gut type. If the have 0 grass in their turnout they often get a bit of hay then as well. Feed is split into a morning and evening feed, I've also mostly abandoned premixes. Now I feed lucerne chaff (plenty of it!) with whole oats as my base. From there I can add supplements, oil, rice bran or the one premix I still use Mitavite Breeda. Amounts and what you add vary based on the horses individual needs.

You can also use lucerne hay instead of grass hay and lucerne chaff which can cut down on forage bulk if you are having trouble with hay guts.

This gets balanced out with a work schedule. Lunging for horses 3 and over, anyone 2 gets free lounged in a group but most of their work comes from mucking around in group turn out. I also run others out behind our ride on mower, do jump work, etc. I keep it varied so their minds don't get bored.

hi and welcome
default_smile.png

which part of Australia are you from?

I'm still new to the mini world and I'm just starting my show career this season too LOL :D

I have my three mini's on the same feed (except my baby doesn't get much)

they get 1 cup Mitavite Formula three in the morning with half a cup of Livamole ( a really good but expensive show conditioning supplement, works wonders and when its the mini's its last for AGES)

and then at night they get 2 cups at night with 1 cup livamole.... they get a little hay every other day and are turned out 24/7 my mini pony mare will come in at night soon ready to be shown
default_smile.png
then she will get hay at night...

hope that helps
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back