ASPC AMHR registration photos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
From the spring BOD meeting:

Just a quick note to let everyone know that effective immediately you have the option of drawing markings on new registrations or you can continue use photographs if that is what you prefer. New registration applications should be available at www.shetlandminiature.comin the next couple of weeks.

I think the photos would have worked just fine if the people in the office weren't so critical on the way the horses were posed. Very disappointed that we are going back to the drawings but at least we still have the option of photos which I will still continue to do.

Reactions: REO
Amysue--photos are now optional. Use them if you wish--if you prefer not to then you can just use the diagrams.

I think....if I have a pinto foal, I will use photos. If its a solid color, I prefer diagrams.
default_smile.png
I never had a problem with drawing stars, snips and socks.

I like the photos. Since we don't require DNA or microchipping... I feel like photos might discourage forgery just a tiny bit.

Photos didn't do me that much good... The office changed my smokey silver black colt with star, narrow strip, snip and back socks to chestnut with star, snip, back stockings and front socks. despite my comments that he had lots of the light foal coloring on his legs, and there is no way he's chestnut out of a cremello mare. Ok, so I should have just put either silver buckskin (possibility) or silver black (they probably would have agreed).

And yet you would be able to visually see the horse that owns those set of papers vs just what you get on a drawing and 1/2 the time the wrong color is listed. I know someone who bought a bunch of solid sorrels for her team. Heck one point the seller was confused and was afraid they sent the wrong horse. You got 4 or 5 sets of papers in your hand that belong to solid sorrels and no drawing will help you nor will the color, and yes it can happen.

I feel like AMHR is going backwards and should not be too much to ask for breeders/sellers to take pics one time for their papers. Thats all it takes. I also agree with many who argue about it feel that the office makes it hard when oh that horse isn't facing the camera, oh the grass is too high, oh we can't see all of its legs. Just take the shot and as long as you can visually see the horse it shouldn't be a big deal and boom lets move on. Also it would be easier if emailing photos would be acceptable, I've heard some people do it already but it doesn't say either way. Another thing too is if the picture doesn't work instead of mailing everything back and say we need a different picture, email or call the person and lets use snail mail less. It would save money for every one especially the club.

I'm wondering too if this is a saving money solution for the office so it doesn't use up all on the color ink when it prints off the pictures if that has anything to do with it, which I'm sure its an added expense but the office can safe a lot of money by using email.

Sorry, I don't feel photos help much when you have 4 solid blacks or 4 solid chestnuts--they might be all the same shade, maybe different yet in photos the color can be misleading too...and then if the photos on the papers are just plain crappy photos the horse pictured looks nothing like the real horse anyway. I've got a few like that--I have always tried to get decent photos when I do registrations but not everyone does that--so I look at the papers and think eeww what an awful looking horse!!! Believe me--unless there are distinctive markings--no one would match the horse to its papers! So, photos are virtually worthless in some cases.

Morgan's still have drawings on their papers-/no photos--and I hear no complaints from people in that breed. Yes, they have DNA, but no one DNA tests prior to selling or buying--so that has little bearing on anything other than registering foals.

Very disappointing AMHR, have had to help more then one new mini owner with papers that didn't appear to match the horse prior to photos and was also involved with dispersing 2 estates trying to match up horses to papers without photos....not fun at all esp the estates where all involved were emotionally stressed and animals had to be rehomed quickly. I will stick with photos and hope everyone else will too.

Ok so I bought a mini long time ago, this was before the pics happened so we still had the drawings. I didn't think nothing of it at first or honestly paid that much attention to the drawings to see if they matched up, I just noticed she was a black and white pinto like the papers said. Well then a few months later before show season I looked and realized her markings don't match up on these papers. So after looking thru the stud book I matched one up just based on color alone and thank fully Zona was helpful and I told her what horse's papers I had and what I think she is and described her belly splash and she agrees that this horse matched this other horse's papers. Called the owner of that horse and we both said the same thing and they also didn't think nothing of it til I called them that yeah their horse don't match the horse's markings either. They thought the same thing I did black pinto matches up. So we swapped papers. So I wonder if at the time everyone used photos would it have saved us from all this mess?

This is kind of nice for breeders as myself, who I will admit do not really get their hands on their foals until into the yearling year. For futurity purposes, the foals have to be reg by the last day of Dec (or well post marked). Its very hard to get photos of foals out in the pasture when they are near wild/untamed and get them reg in time to keep them in the futurity program. I've struggled with this the last two years but managed.....now with that being said the photos are not pretty - LOL

I think the option for either is great and I am very happy with this.

I will keep on putting photos on my horses and ponies papers, but it is nice to know that if there is a case where getting proper photos is near impossible - I can just draw markings on papers. That is great...

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel this is a step backwards as well. We have several foals a year and it isnt that big of a deal to get registration pictures. It is really easy if you remember to do them when first born before turned out in the herd but I have had good luck getting them even out in the field. I can remember the number of times I have bought older horses with those aweful old style papers with just the drawings and couldnt wait to update them to have photos. It is just so much nicer to be able to look at the horses in the pictures and see if they look remotely like the same horse standing in front of you! Otherwise you see "black" and a solid drawing whereas with a picture you can somewhat compare the shape of head, type, and everything to figure out if it is the right horse. Yes some people get aweful pictures but I havent had one yet that I couldnt tell was the right horse with close inspection. JMO

It seems backwards to em to go back to drawings, but I won't complain. I'm one of the ones that just plain stinks at registration pictures, and while I've been lucky enough to not have any sent back, The horses haven't looked all that great in the pictures. lol

Am guessing not--it would be silly to demand photos on transfer when they are not required for registration--I would expect photos are optional for transfers too...but I did not ask.

Okay, got the answer--as I though, of the papers have photos or diagrams nothing more is needed to transfer.

Nice to have an option. I have all bay ponies, yet one has red under tones and another one gold. But mostly you can tell difference with bone structure.

Definitely a step backwards, especially since AMHR still doesn't allow us all color options (nor are all people color knowledgeable) and sometimes dismiss my markings that I've written out....and sometimes change my Appaloosas to pinto (because of the drawing.... they assumed I wrote it incorrectly). It was extremely helpful during the Kandi Crow incident to have the pictures. I'm guessing the breeders who probably need to do the pictures the most will be the ones to skip it.

Latest posts

Back