As anyone tried Chia vs Physillim and what is their opinion?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3234

Reaction score
We have a mare that has some issues with physillium, but living in sand capital (Arizona) giving phyillium is a must. Has anyone had pros / cons using Chia for sand removal?

Here is some of the benefits I have read, but have not seen any downside.

Benefits of Chia Seed

Promotes a healthy, glossy coat

Helps prevent and ulcers

Stronger, faster growing hooves

Helps prevent laminitis and insulin disorder

Boots the immune system

Good for respiratory systems

Calms hot nervous temperaments

Eases mare cycles and inflammation

Maintains supple joints and healing in connective tissues

Assists correct development of nervous systems, brains, muscles and skeletons

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the laxative effect of a product which removes sand.

Chia seed, like flax seed, has a hard hull and is very small so unless ground up, will not have any of the health benefits you listed.

However, it's the indigestible hull which creates the laxative, so grinding will release the nutrient benefits but not the sand reducing benefits.

That's my understanding so I feed whole flax seed not psyllium.

Chi does not have a hard shell like flax. I feed chia to my horse and I take it as well.

It turns in to a jelly consistency when wet. It supposedly binds to the sand in the gut or something.

I do know that it is helping my mare and myself and diabetic sisters and mother. I love it.

I give my mare 1/4 c every day. I feed dry most of the time but on cold days I have added hot water to her feed.

I put the chia in with her vitamins and a couple of handfuls of grass pellets in her feed bowl.

My mare loves her chia seeds

I also feed Chia seeds to my mini. Rhondaalaska is right...when wet, they turn to jelly, which is why, with a Chia pet, you can spread them all over it. LOL No, I don't have a Chia pet and don't plan on getting one.
default_rolleyes.gif
I've been giving them, as a topping to my mini's feed. Her coat started feeling so soft, after about 2 wks. of being on them. It is suppose to help keep sand from even forming in their digestive system. I just know that Halo looks good since being put on them. Her winter coat feels better than it did last year, when she wasn't on them. They are suppose to also work sort of like raspberry leaves, and help keep mares, from getting super hormonal behavior. I may need to up them a bit, in Spring/Summer, to help with that. Halo is only getting 1/8 of a cup a day..1 Tbs. twice a day. I've been very pleased with the results since putting her on them.

Who has found the best price for pound on Chia? Looking for a source.

I got some on sale on Vita Cost's website, once, and their regular price was cheaper than I've seen anywhere else.

Last edited by a moderator: