ARTIC EXPRESS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAZY J MINIS

Reaction score
HOW IS EVERYONE GETTING READY FOR THE EXTREME COLD? I'VE SPENT THE DAY GETTING EXTRA FEED AND HAY, GETTING THE BARN SETUP FOR THE EXTRA HORSES AND I HAVE BABY GOATS ALSO. TRYING TO KEEP THEM WARM AND EVERYONE SAFE IN THE BARN IS A CHALLENGE BUT I HAVE IT DONE. I'VE FENCED OFF A STALL FOR THE MOMS AND BABIES, ALSO THE BIRDS CAN BE SAFE THERE. ALL THE STALLS ARE FULL AND LATER I WILL LET THE BROODMARES IN THE CENTER AND HAY SO THEY WILL BE HAPPY IN SIDE. I HATE COLD WEATHER,THATS WHY I MOVED TO TEXAS.

Remember to store extra water somewhere in your house, just in case pipes freeze, for you and your critters!!! I know you guys aren't used to this cold.

I am getting ready for hopefully the last two days of subzero temps. We have a small break today, but by tonight we will be dipping back down again. I just got back from the feed mill and am going out to clean stalls so everyone can come in for the next two days.

Oh yeah, and we are supposed to have snow on top of the cold temps. YIPP!EEE!!

I don't bring mine in for the cold, unless there is sleet to make them wet and cold. They do fine, but then they acclimated to these temps and have really thick coats. It is important that they have enough hay/ feed to keep their heaters working.
default_wink.png
If there are blizzard like conditions expected, that would be another time to tuck them in a cozy stall. Hopefully, you get none of that in Texas!

Barb

It is heading to OUR way!!.. BRR!!..

I bought straw for their stalls/barn so they can STAY warm at night.

It will be about -2's tomorrow evening and next night!...

We haven't had this bad deep cold weather for many many years.

I am READY for spring!.. HEHE!.. But I have to remember that is God's hand and it is HIS reason.

AMEN!... ;)

STAY WARM EVERYONE!...

DEFINITELY store extra buckets of water both for the horses and also for your house if the pipes freeze. We even pull our hoses inside our laundry room - and if necessary in the main part of the house to either thaw them out or keep them from freezing!

Our horses do fairly well in the very cold temps - even down into the single digits - but it's important to pile on the extra hay, especially at night.

Do you have trough heaters or heated buckets? Probably not in Texas. For short term - if you have heat lamps for your stalls, place the buckets as close to being UNDER a heat lamp as possible. Just be sure the heat lamps are set high enough that the horse(s) can't hit them with their heads!

Good luck......

I believe that unseasonably cold or hot weather is very stressful for the horses.

We try not to add to that stress with doing anything unusual, like worming or vaccinations.

We try and feed warm beet pulp, oil, and warm water mashes. Anything to encourage drinking.

We had a cold spell a few weeks ago here. The water pipes were frozen each day until about noon. We would refill the 50 gallon water tubs to the brim each day.

Hope this passes soon for you.
default_unsure.png

I have been filling buckets with warm water all day....Here in Ga we are well below the norm! Making sure everyone is getting electrolytes and mash to keep them hydrated. Def inside for the cold. It's miserable

Anyone know WHO is in charge of the weather this month??? I'd like to have a word with them! ;-( !

dru

where it is ONLY freezing right now....... The BITTER temps move in Friday! Oh Joy!

Spent the afternoon here filling extra water buckets & tubs, rebedding stalls and doling out extra hay. I don't bring everyone in, but those who stay out have access to a round bale and to a good shelter, and I make sure they have drinkable water through the day. I do bring in the bullies if I have one horse who runs the others out of their shed. Lots of warm beet pulp and hay keep everyone pretty content. I think they survive the cold much better than I do lol.

Jan

We've actually been a little bit warmer the last 2 or 3 days--or should I say it's been a little less cold than it was on New Years day. Now that was a bitterly cold day for us. No wind, just very cold (unlike Christmas day, which was mild in terms of temperature, but the wind was blowing so hard it felt a lot colder than it was.

Tomorrow is supposed to be colder again and then by Sunday we're supposed to have temperatures of around 32F. I'll believe it when it happens, but even if it doesn't get quite that mild I hope that it does warm up quite a bit.

Cold front came in like a freight train about 3:30 this morning - 40 mph wind and getting colder all the time. Ugh. Glad we rarely have this kind of weather, don't know how you all do it all winter long. I guess we get our dose of misery in the 100 degree plus summers LOL.

Jan

We get some of those 100 degree days too in the summer.....which right now after over 7 days of very below zero weather would be a blessing. We did get a brief respite the last day or so--up to 10 degrees--and watching the horses, you'd think it was spring. Running around, chasing each other through the snow. Temp is dropping again and sounds like three more days of 30-50 below windchills.

Ours are just used to it I guess. The only ones we have in the barn--who only come in at night--are a couple of our show horses, two mares we got a month ago from Washington (Mountain Meadows) and an old girl with a bad hip and arthritis. The rest are outside 24/7/365 and though we do give more hay in the winter, they do just fine. There are shelters with 3.5 sides for them and they get fresh water twice a day (ice broken as necessary). The non-show horses, mostly mares, are on grass year round and typically go into winter pretty fat which I suspect helps them with the temps. They get very furry quickly and frankly, prefer being outside than in the barn. Before we had shelters, we'd bring them up to the barn on frigid nights where they could go in/out of a small run and many of them still won't go in the barn. They seem happiest when temps are between 15 and 40. . . As someone pointed out earlier, the bigger issue is when they get wet and then the temp drops.

I really feel for those of you who are not used to this and have to scramble and figure out what to do. Around here, the saddest day of the year is when we have to roll up the hoses for the winter and start carrying water........I do come out of winter with some nice biceps though........take care all, this too shall pass......

Carry water? Hmmmm, noooooooooooooooo.
default_wacko.png
I went out and bought a water trough de-icer for 2.5 days of weather. And it'll probably go up in storage for another 10 years!
default_rolleyes.gif

My morning went something like this. "No water? Ratz! Guess the hose is frozen up. Nope.....it's the hydrant.
default_sad.png
These self draining hydrant's aren't supposed to do this." After about 3 trips to the house I finally figured out the best way (at least it was for me) to thaw the hydrant. Rolled a piece of carpet around the hydrant, tied it so it would stay rolled, pointed a hair dryer down the sleeve, turned it to hot, and after a few minutes.......waaaaaa la. WATER. Wish it was as easy to thaw the dad gummed hose.

They're talking a possible -25 wind chill here tonight. Don't know about the rest of you but that's the coldest this old gal has ever seen. Stay safe and warm everybody. Looks like we've got a couple of hard days ahead of us before it goes back up to double digit temps.

WE SURVIVED THE INITIAL COLD. WHEN I WENT TO FEED TODAY IT WAS IN THE LOWER 30'S NO ICE JUST WINDY. BY THE TIME IS FINISHED IT WAS IN THE MID 20'S. STILL HAD WATER BECAUSE HE DRAINED THE HOSES YESTERDAY. BARN IS NICE AND WARM BABIES HAPPY MARES WANTED OUT, BUT ARE READY TO COME BACK IN. STAY WARM AND SAFE. JO

Here is a sensible article on winter care for equine. I have had a few friends recently make emergency trips to the vets with horses who have had impactions. My word of advice - colder than normal?-- get a water tank heater, they will drink more.

Winter Horse Care - How Impaction Works

We may live up here where it's cold longer than down south but that doesn't mean my horses like it! We got about 6"(XX make that 10+") of snow dumped on us today. My boys won't go out in the deep stuff. Hubby has to make paths thru the pasture with the snowblower then they still want back in if they can't find any grass. My filly will run out in anything and dig for the grass but she doesn't like this cold and keeps telling me "more hay - MORE HAY"!

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG.....checked the thermometer at 7:30AM and it says -31......thats the mean temp, not the windchill. We have winds between 15 and 25 miles an hour so that makes it quite a bit colder.

This is supposed to break by late sat night/sunday morning and they are saying we could be up to freezing by mid week. 60 degree temp change in a small amount of time doesn't wreak any havoc either does i . . . Jeez louise

For you southern folks, we'll try and keep this bitter cold up here......

Well Cosmos, I don't share that sentiment - I like to share, LOL! If my farm has to be miserable, than others can share in that misery! LOL!

Yes I see they have changed the forecast and lowered Saturday's expectations. So much for the weather man today, not that they can change how quickly a high moves out of our area.

Well off to do chores in our lovely weather.

Latest posts

Back