Aquariums -- The "New" Hobby That Has Really Helped Me.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ML --

Barney is so cute!!! I can't wait until we can set up a tank for a few "Barney fish"
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

We have some other kinds of cichlids, electric yellow labs and yellow tail acei and they are really smart compared to our other fish and really interact with us, each other and their enviroment. Sometimes I give them an algae wafer disc and it's like a game watching one swim with it in his mouth (like a frisbie) and the others chasing through the tank, plants, tubes... neat to watch.

I've been looking at flowerhorns on aquabid.com, and I think we can get one even prettier than what I saw in person today for 1/10th the price. No way would I spend $2,000 on a single fish, but it was very neat to "meet" some in person. They really were trying to get our attention and I'm sure really just wanting food but it looked like they wanted to be fooled with and pet. But, I don't know that we'll get one for sure (I was set on it awhile back, but now...). They have to be ALONE in their tank, and I think I'd enjoy more tanks with multiple fish like we have now. That's more interesting to watch.

But for sure, we're gonna have some Barnies here before too long. H loves them, and I do, too.

Jill

Another I did one day is I asked Alex is to "tell Barney to shut-up".. I know.. I am strange..
default_unsure.png

barney.jpg
default_whistling.gif
default_yes.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Don't think anything of it. I flew over the cuckoo's nest a long time ago!

Thanks for the picture of Barney. He's very cute and I am sure he hears every word you say to him!
default_laugh.png

Beautiful tanks Jill a very long time ago I had three tanks and loved them for the same reasons, very relaxing to watch the fish.

I always wanted a saltwater tank but was too worried I'd mess it up. The colors of fish are just stunning, so bright and vivid.

Tomorrow, I'm going to do my weekly partial water changes in the tanks... If you count the small betta aquariums, we have 10 tanks. I never, ever like something only a little. With me, I either LOVE something or am not interested. I've got the fish hobby bug so bad, I totally love doing the water changes (with a "python" that hooks to a spare sink) and am planning to wake up early so I can get started and going to re-arrange the tanks' plants, etc. I'm a goober for sure.

My favorite fish are our cichlids and our goldfish. Total opposites because the cichlids are fast and seem smart. The goldfish are so fat and bumbly and remind me of water puppies. I really like the bettas a lot as well. And the platies. And the long finned black skirts. And the tiger barbs... yeah. I love them all.

We may try saltwater at some point. I love the looks of those tanks but honestly, I'm scared I won't be smart enough to do it well and the fish will die. I have the Dummie's and Complete Idiot's books about saltwater fishkeeping, but haven't read them yet. Maybe a fun project later this winter, though
default_biggrin.png

And, ML, I can relate to talking to the fish. I talk to the goldfish that are in "my" tank. H has one and I have one and they are on our respective 3-drawer dressers. I've named mine (and I've named his!). I baby talk them. I don't think any of them has learned their names but they have learned that I feed them (vs. H) and they really do watch me when I'm in the room and they know what their food container looks like!

When we get our Barnies, I'll be sure to post pictures. I'm thinking we'll get three of them and maybe some silver dollars for the same tank. I'm wanting some other sort of fish to go in with them, but not sure what it will be yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I love those parrot fish....kinda remind me of some of my fancy goldfish I've had in the past. Pretty neat looking! Years ago I did some beautiful Marble Angels...one I had lived to be 5 or 6 years old and HUGE! That fish was a beauty. I was so upset when he died.....I think he got pop eye or something to do with his eye. My aquarium right now is only a 3 gallon....really cute....but I can see myself upgrading very soon! Ooohhh...just got a great idea!!! Upgrade to bigger and this one will be my baby tank! Ohhh...man!!!!!
default_wacko.png
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png

Cheyenne --

I know how you feel and what you're thinking!!! We started with a 6g and it (the tank!) reproduced like crazy LOL! We had fish years ago, but back then, I didn't really know much at all. Now it seems like there's so much good information about how to take good care of the fish (things I never knew before) and I'm loving it so much -- keeping them and learning about them.

What kinds of fish are you planning for your tank? I tried guppies, briefly, but they didn't do good for me (may have been a bad batch). I would like to try them again, though. They are so pretty.

It's just relaxing me so much. But distracting, too. H keeps getting mad at me because when we're watching tv, I keep getting up to watch the fish. And if I do not turn my goldfish light off before I lay down, I'll stay up way late just watching them. And, you were right on with your oranda recommedation -- I have three of them and adore them!!!

Jill

Ahhhhhh man, I knew I should of stopped reading this post days ago. Come on Jill, I already have a zoo here.

Well crud, what's the best beginners book, maybe I just wasn't doing it "right".

Ever since I read this, been looking up different kind, they are soo pretty.

I don't need more to care for.

Does anyone shop regular pet stores, or other?

Because of my baby grandson, I need at least 3 months of relief.

Carolyn --

I think you'd love aquariums if you got one!!!

For books, I swear, I love those "Idiot's" and "Dummies" books because they are so easy to follow and look things up in. I got a slew of fish books at half.com. I mean like 30 or so and it's so inexpensive, even with shipping. Freshwater Aquariums for Dummies is like $3 there and The Complete Idiot's Guide to Freshwater Aquariums is like $2!

I'd really recommend a "Python" or similar water changing tool. It hooks to a sink and you use it to drain and fill the tank. You need to do partial water changes every 1-2 weeks, and this makes it very easy (and fun imo).

Most of our fish have come from PetSmart & PetCo. If the fish don't make it, you have like 14 days for a refund. But most of ours have done real well. They also have the best deals on aquarium kits (even better than Walmart!). Be sure to get a florescent vs. incandescent light in the aquarium kit b/c the florescent is so much prettier to show the fish colors.

I don't think you'll regret it if you get one. I know, I am easily amused, but I can seriously spend an hour at a time just gazing at the fish and totally relaxing -- no adult beverage required!!!

Jill

Latest posts

Back