Anyone worried about the economy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a snap shot of how the economy is going here in Michigan.

Built my house in 1994 (1200 sq feet) and straight away got on the monthly plan for propane, cost $40.00/month. Driving to work each week with my Ford Festiva ~$8.00.

Same house, same job, now own a Chevy S10. Propane $185 mth, Driving to work ~$54 a week.

Lets see fuel $75 a month in 1994, $419 in 2008, over a 500% increase! Hummm, has my pay increased 5 fold........NOT!

But I thank God everyday I have a job, I worry for the old and unemployed (9% unemployment rate in Michigan and rising news said last week, to make that real 1 in 10 people are unemployed in this state.)

Our area seems to be doing fairly well. Homes still being built and homes being sold. I know a lot of us here do feel the effects of high gas prices...not only in the food we buy but most everything else. I have seen how many people acros the country have lived beyond their means and are really hurting now because they didn't believe in saving for a rainy day. Not only have many people not saved anything but have maxed out their credit cards. Banks and loan companies have bee too lenient to those they have made loans to and now borrrowers are hurting badly with losing their houses and cars.Of course we end up paying for this because the government thinks banks should be bailed out. If it is a time to tighten our belts then we should have a lot to learn from this experience. I think the government has always pushed spending more and saving less which should change. There are those of us who have learned to go without some of those luxuries in life so we can be prepared for the bad times. Many people have been spolied by the easy access to borrowing or charging what is bought. Maybe we need a government that will set good examples for the people instead of pushing for ever more spending. JMHO Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad has a conttruction company that builds custom made homes. About a year ago we had 30 some employees. We are now down to 11 with six of them being family. My school should have 90 students. We have 30, losing many 4 year olds to the free VPK program.

I pray that just enough work keeps coming in for my dad to keep his business afloat as he, mom, my brother, brother in law, my husband, and uncle work for him. My father is actualy up north in Ohio right now working for my uncle, his brother to get some money coming in.

Lots of houses for sale, lots of forreclosures, nobody buying, nobody building.

I wouldn't do anything if it isn't absolutely necessary.

Amanda

Things are pretty bad for us too here. At least for us personally and alot of people we know. House sales have slowed down alot, so much so that many real estate agents are bailing out to find other work. My dads business where I work (just a small family owned furniture business ) is most likely going to have to close down which has pushed my dad into depression and he is now on medication. This isn't just the case for us but for many small family owned businesses in this area, just so many are closing down. Its just so sad and pretty scary. We certainly are just soo carefull with our money now, it only goes on essential items, food, petrol, vet, feed etc. I'm just hoping that I can find another job with the way things are. I would hate to have to sell my horses, they are my happiness right now. Without them and my wedding to look forward too, I would feel pretty hopeless.

I just really hope things pick up soon.

To all those others out there that are losing their businesses, life savings, everything you have worked so hard for, my thoughts are with you, hang in there!

Our area of Florida has also been hit hard by the economic slowdown. I own a custom cabinet shop specializing in high end kitchens and baths, mostly new construction. At this time last year I had over 30 jobs ahead of us to do. At this time we have 2 and after that I don't see anything on the horizon. After just paying for a wedding and having 3 kids in college it is indeed a scary time. The economy in our area is heavily dependent on tourism and construction, with so many construction workers out of work it has really affected many businesses and families. The high school, where Wife Ruth is a guidance counselor, has almost 200 less students this year compared to last, as many people have moved in order to find work. Soooo, anyone for a new kitchen?

Gary

I'm with your husband- it's beyond scary at this point.

The downgrading of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae to just above junk bond level should be a huge warning light to everyone this isn't a "slump" or a "bad patch" This is a "crisis" of epic proportions. This is the financial infrastructure of the US teetering on collapse.

[SIZE=12pt]We're incredibly worried. We are now raising our own beef, chickens and soon to be turkeys & pigs. My vegetable garden did well this year, but as it's still a learning process I didn't get much put up, but we have eaten well this summer. [/SIZE]

Steve works in the motorcycle industry. Last year his store (the largest in the area) was floundering. Due to the increase in fuel prices, business is good again for plain streetbikes, scooters and basic accessories (jackets & helmets). Our stocks are WAY down which is very scary!

Mia goes to school in a nearby town. They had a headstart program (full already) that was shut down by the state ONE WEEK before the fall session started, leaving those families with no place for those children. They were told they could be absorbed into other town's programs, but those programs are also at capacity and most parents can't afford to drive their children the added distance (if they have a vehicle to use) in this rural area. If head start is closed down due to financial reasons, that is a BAD sign of a downward spiraling economy
default_unsure.png

I was also surprised that most of the people I talk to were shocked by finding out that the Bush "economic stimulus" package was funded by loans from the Chinese. It's no wonder that they have us by the short hairs in our trade deficit, when our country owes them trillions of dollars
default_no.gif
Yeah, I'm scared...

The gov has also given billions of dollars to other countries, more often than not..the Gov writes off, because they can't pay..beyond stupid in my book....and this war isn't helping. But the Gov doesn't listen to everyday people any more.
default_no.gif

DH found another job... is one they are not allowed to send work overseas. Have to admit..am buying more things than I most likely should, right now...just basics..kind'a stocking up. The Veggie garden has done better than I expect but less than I would of liked. Putting up most of the Veggies. In the near future we will buy the side of beef from a local rancher. Have learned to keep a 6month to year supply of everyday things in the house, has come in handly more than once. Also keep on hand a years supply of stuff for the horses,,so if something happens.. I can also take care of them. Same with the other animals.

Yes.. I am worried to a point. Personally there is nothing I can do about it...... just have to wait and see.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/08/26/...in4386505.shtml

With stuff like this going on all across our country and US citizens unable to find jobs, yes I am worried. I have no sympathy for the illegals that come in (breaking our laws in the process) and take the jobs and benefits. When my great grandparents came to this country they did it by the book. Learned the language and became US citizens, now we have civil rights groups yelling abuse and company's making their employees learn other languages to help these workers cope. anybody else see a problem here? Just my nichol.
default_wacko.png

I don't think it's the citizens of the U.S. alone that are concerned about the economy. So many of our economies are intertwined now - the global economy. What truly scares me at the moment is China. Their economy is tied in to many of our economies. We imported so many products. We rely on "cheap" products verses more higher end products made in our own countries. Our society in the U.S. and Canada, as someone else mentioned here, is an instant gratification kind of bunch. We want everything now hence the problem with people running up credit card debt, over extending on housing, look at people that purchased homes that they truly couldn't afford but the mortage companies made it affordable to them, for awhile, until they had to declare bankruptcy.... and on and on it goes. Products coming in from China may be "cheap" but the recalls show us that they sometimes cut corners and the product then becomes a danger. I now think twice about buying anything from $ stores or even from walmart. I am so concerned about the economy imploding, I think it's just a matter of time, that I like others here have started to make our family more self-sufficient should it come down to this. I also have bought chickens, grow more vegetables (do some canning and preserves) etc. and we are thinking of buying and raising our own beef as well.

My dad was a teen during the depression, even though his family was very well off, they still got into the scrimping mode. Even up untill their passing, his parents reused everything they could. Bread wrappers, tin foil, plastic wrap, paper sacks and on the list goes. That thinking sticks with me. Hubbys truck just broke a rocker arm, he was excited, thinking he was fixin to get a new truck
default_rolleyes.gif
I burst his little bubble LOL He has race bikes and a huge new Snap On tool box, thats his new truck LOL I am working to get our only loans being the house and shop. No car/truck notes, no credit cards <<< that ones easy. I am not a keep up with the Jones' kinda gal. I kinda dont care what the Jones' have and actually, the Jones' hardly cant go out to eat because their meals are eaten up by that new car LOL.

I need to start a garden next year. Been wanting one but the work involved scares me as I cant get out and do what I want all the time. I hope and pray our next President worries about those that elected them, and not those that payed for his campaign. Wow, isnt that a novel concept???
default_rolleyes.gif

. Also keep on hand a years supply of stuff for the horses,,so if something happens.. I can also take care of them. Same with the other animals.
Just curious are you talking about just hay or do you keep grain/pellets around for that long as well?
Hay..and I don't grain as a rule. My butterballs don't need it. But since I keep the bagged goods like Chicken & Alpaca pellets in the house...they store very well with little to no loss of quality. Now if they were kept in the shed... wouldn't stay good near as long. Makes that big a difference to keep the feed stored in the house. Also keep a years supply of wormer, vitamins and anything I use for the horses and other animals. Making sure I buy long dated items of course.

Latest posts

Back