Anyone with big or giant dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
Can you point me in the direction on where iI can get/order a dog trampoline type of bed. I'm not exactly sure if that is what they are called but they are a bed that is elevated off the floor. If anyone has used them can you give me feedback on them too please?

Orvis has them. I haven't used them but they look interesting.

I think you can order them through Drs Foster and Smith (I think that's right).

I highly recommend a Kuranda!! Definitely worth the extra $. I cheaped out on my first one, and it was destroyed in a couple of weeks. I got a Kuranda a couple of years ago now...LOVE it, and so do the dogs!!!! Saving my pennies for another one.....
default_yes.gif

http://kuranda.com/

~kathryn

I agree with Kathryn, the Kuranda beds are wonderful.

My German Shepherd had one on the vet's recommendation because she was suffering from L7 and hip dysplasia. She used it on and off at first but then it became impossible for her to life her hindquarters up without help.

My brother just got his German Short Hair a pellow top bed. The dog won't sleep on it. The Doxies took it over. Charlie prefers the sofa. My GP sleeps on my bed leaving little room for me. Thy only place I have dog beds is around and under my desk where the dogs sleep when I am sitting at the computer. So I guess I am not any help when it comes to the type of bed you want.

Thank you everyone for your input. I'd like one to use outside for when we're just sitting around so Lakota won't have to lay on the ground, and then bring it in in the wintertime. I checked into the Kuranda beds and think that is the way I'll go! They can be used indoors or outdoors which is just what I'm looking for. I don't know for sure if she will use it, but it's worth a try. Thanks again everyone!

Cheyenne, I have been wanting to get one to put (and keep) outside in the yard too, for Abby. Now that Spring is here, she likes spending more time outside. Before we fenced in a bigger area of the yard last year, she used to have free run and likes to lay on the steps on my tack/feed shed, as the sun would shie there in the mornings. Now that she has to stay in the fenced in area, the sun does not hit the deck until the afternoon, so I was thinking of getting one to put on the south side of the house so she can lay in the sun. The ground can be wet or cold, so thought she'd like one of those to get off the ground, but still be able to lay in the sun soaking up the rays.
default_yes.gif
Thanks for asking this. Now I can go looking too!

Thank you everyone for your input. I'd like one to use outside for when we're just sitting around so Lakota won't have to lay on the ground, and then bring it in in the wintertime. I checked into the Kuranda beds and think that is the way I'll go! They can be used indoors or outdoors which is just what I'm looking for. I don't know for sure if she will use it, but it's worth a try. Thanks again everyone!
I was going to come back on here and say that I forgot to mention you can use them indoors/outdoors. They clean up really nice too, and mine has been chew proof (which with my gang is a MAJOR issue!
default_whistling.gif
) The Mate-r puppy uses it as a spring board bouncing from bed to bed and through all the other dogs
default_rolleyes.gif

Like I said, I'm saving to get another one!

~kathryn

Mona...I will keep you posted and let you know how I make out. Do let me know if you get one too and how Abby adapts to it. We'll compare notes. I plan to order mine this week..... The Kuranda company Katherine mentioned above is in Maryland...just a couple of states away from me.

Oops..just saw your last post Katherine. Thanks for letting me know about this company, and how your pups like it. As I mentioned to Mona, I plan to order Lakota's sometime this week.
default_thumbup.gif

I had Great Danes for many years. All giant and very large dog breeds, must be kept on some kind of soft bedding, or they will get horrid things on their elbows, which can turn into worse problems.

Many dogs don't like anything which doesn't feel secure. ie. wobbles. I discovered that those big moving pads, such as movers cover furniture with, when moving large pieces. Folded in half or four, they make nice soft bedding for most breeds. While they cannot fit in a washing machine, they are easily hosed down and dried, hanging over a fence.You can also purchase egg-carton type foam padding, to place under the blankets, if your dog is not a chewer.

These things always worked well for me and I never had any dog suffering from hygromas.

There again, a Great Dane and similar sized dogs, mostly do well on an old sofa or love seat. My friend in England, from whom I purchased my first GDs, many years ago, had a room in her house, just for them. All around the room were old sofas and each dog had his own. Worked well for her.

Lizzie

Talk to SixStarDanes in the forum. She either makes them or has direct contact with someone who does. You can see in her youtube videos that they stand up to both danes and minis!

Lizzie, yep have nice ortho beds all over the house pretty much in every room
default_yes.gif
. What I need is input and info on the elevated beds for out of doors use mainly. The couches and ortho pads won't fare well outside in rain and elements and can collect bacteria in the unwashable cushions.

Thank you and to Big Dogs for replying to my post.

Latest posts

Back