Anyone make blanket liners?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
I was at walmart the other day and they had fleece throw blankets on sale for $4. The first thing I thought was "hey, I could probably make a blanket liner out of that"

Now, I'm not super sewing inclined. I was thinking I could fold the blanket in half, and trace my regular blanket on it. (Aligning the top of my blanket to the fold on the fleece blanket so theres not a seam on the back) Then, adding Velcro at the chest to keep it shut, and maybe a fleece belly band to keep it in place.

Anyone with limited sewing skills ever try this before? Any pictures or advice?

I'm afraid I'm no help with this and much the same as you, but I'd be really interested in hearing from others that do make their own.

Yes, I have made several blanket liners out of these inexpensive throws. I just lay out the throw and fold each end toward the middle, so you can make 2 liners from each throw. You wil have the open ends down the middle, so when you cut through the middle you will have 2 similar size rectangles. Hope that makes sense. Lay a blanket over the folded material to figure out where to cut the neck hole - which I cut with a very long narrow end to use as a tie. I just lay the liner over the mini and tie the ends at the chest in a square knot and cover with a regular blanket or sheet. I use these liners as "bath robes" after a bath before a show and they dry the minis really well. Or they can be used for extra warmth. I always use them under a blanket but I think if you used something for leg straps you could use them by themselves. I think I read on here people using the straps for mattress pads as leg straps??? Adding velcro at the chest would be even better. I needed something in a hurry 4 years ago and this worked for me - and I am still using them!!

Supreme Equine Design sells nice ones too if you are like me and not friendly with a sewing machine.
default_laugh.png

Jan

We make and sell our own. Nice fleece with a wide fleece belly warmer and all for $25. Let me know if your interested in just buying one instead.
default_wink.png

I ended up going to joann fabrics today and they had fleece on sale dirt cheap. Bought enough fleece and the 2" wide velcro to make 4 liners for $20. Im pretty excited.

Bluestar, I'll keep that in mind in the future, or incase mine turn out terrible. Do you have pictures?

If you think making a horse blanket liner is tuff, I had to make a blanket for an emu. The goat ate all of her feathers and it was winter so I had to make her a blanket. I just kind of eyeballed her shape and used some fabric that I had gotten for $1 a yard. The first draft I had to throw away but the finished product was a light canvas with a sewn in polor fleese lining. She had velcro in the front and her shape kept it in place. So, to answer your question about can someone without "super Sewing inclined" being able to make the liners. Yes You might not like your first product. But, you can try again and shouldn't be affraid to.

Cyndia at Pond lake Stables makes some really nice foal blankets as well as other blankets. I bet you could use one of those for a liner. I just bought a foal blanket from her and it was $16 shipped to me. I don't sew much and by the time you go buy the stuff, figure it out, etc, to me it was better to buy one!

Here's the link:

http://www.sixzeroeight.com/pondlakestables/for-sale.html

Latest posts

Back