Anyone here make their own lead ropes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabby-Chicken

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I have talked to someone in the past, can't remember who, who makes their own lead ropes. I am looking to make lighter weight black nylon leads. They seem to dissapear from my barn. Any suggestions where to get materials? Thanks guys![/SIZE] -Kim

I'm not sure about down in the states (I assume it would be the same) but here in BC many feed/tack type shops (Ex. Buckerfields), as well as places where you can buy tools, lumber...basically anything to do with construction (Ex Slegg Lumber), and marine stores always carry ropes of all lengths/widths and kinds. It almost always really dirt cheap too! We've made quite a few leadropes and it takes all of five minutes!

Thanks!

How do you attatch the metal clip to the rope itself? Burn it, then do you buy clamps or something?

I like the cotton leads, but the ready-made ones usually have such big snaps on them. So, I go to the tack store & buy lengths of rope and the snaps I want, then I nicely ask the store owner to put them together for me. He loops the rope through the snap then braids it back into itself. He also folds the other end over & braids it into itself so it's all nicely finished off. I've never mastered that braiding, so if I was to do it myself I'd end up with knots....
default_wacko.png
:

That solid nylon rope wouldn't braid that way, but I've had some really soft, thicker nylon rope that also braids back onto itself nicely.

I used to make mine. I got my supplies at Home Depot. I could buy the rope, clamps and snaps there. However, since the price on the materials has gone up, I just order them or buy them on sale at a horse show. I can usually get a better deal that way and it saves me time!
default_smile.png

I make my own out of cotton rope. Cotton rope can be side-spliced, and does not give such a bad rope burn as nylon. That makes it safer for the horses. Also it does not stretch as bad as nylon does, so your 20' lunge line does not gradually become 30'!

I bought a 500' roll of 1/2" cotton rope from a marine supply place. Actually I found it on eBay but that is where it was from. Then I went out and found some bolt snaps of the right size. I agree sometimes they put HUGE snaps on leads and I prefer smaller ones. I like bolt snaps as opposed to the bull-nosed snaps. Then you just side-splice the rope. Piece of cake! Here is a place with instructions for a side-splice: Side Splice Also, if you buy rope, a lot of them have instructions included for this simple splice. If you can tie your own shoes, you can learn this splice. It is not difficult, just different from what you already know.

By just knowing how to do a simple splice, you can make your own leadropes to the length you desire, trailer tying ropes, cross-ties, lunge ropes etc. etc. AND you can have them made of the type of rope you like, and to the length you like. MUCH better! :bgrin

I got a FarmTek catalog and they have everything you need. (www.farmtek.com) I've also seem some parts in a Jeffers catalog I think. (www.jeffersequine.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt] Thanks guys! Seems like there are different ways to make them. I appreciate all the info! [/SIZE]

Thanks! -Kim

Hey Kim, we have a great resource for that! Martin knows how to make splices in nylon rope (does it for crabbing for hooking the shots together and it has to be smooth and lay properly to go through the block), but if you mean the soft kind, might be harder.

What you can get are the crimper thingies, not sure what they are, like a clamp you bend back on themselves. Our Marine Supply store carries tons of types and colors of line also for boats and RV type usage. Our feed store has some, but usually the color selection is limited. Also you can look at an outdoor/camping type store like REI for rock climbing and other sport type rope.
default_smile.png

The rope at Englund and Skipanon Marine is usually cents per foot.

Liz

we make our own all the time because im so picky lol. we dont splice so i have no idea what that is?? we just put the snap on then put the crimp latch on with plyers and burn the cut end. Works great for us. we get the stuff at TSC, Big R and ive even seen it at walmart.

I too like the smaller rope and snap sizes for minis.I use 5/8 or 1/2". 3/4" is for big horses. Back braiding is easy to do and makes for a much lighter lead. also if your picky about color,all cotton rope can be dyed to match almost anything.[ using Rite dyes that you can get at the grocery store or fabric store] probably the best written instructions Ive seen on how to braid was in a boy scout handbook.[ good pictures]. our local Orchard Supply has a rope bin of odd pieces that I get great colors from. just cant always get the same color twice. I also tie rope halters , but havent sized one down for the minis yet.DR.

Latest posts

Back