Anyone had their horses teeth checked in a halter class? My mini wasn't ready

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this guy was pretty smart, so he learned very fast. I would touch his upper lip, say teeth, then pull down on his lower lip, then give him a treat, usually peppermint. After a few sessions he would just lower his own lower lip with just a touch to his upper lip, then I would treat. After a while it just became habit for him to lower his lower lip when touched on the muzzel, He was a hoot! Has been sold, and I do miss him he was so smart and willing. Also I might add he is the only one that I taught this too, although I have a filly I'm planning on trying this with.

Thanks so much for all the responses everyone!! I am glad to know that my concerns are shared about the judge putting his hands in Timber's mouth and that that is not supposed to happen. I didn't think that was right. Now that I know the teeth are checked, I will have to figure out what a correct bite looks like. Hopefully it just means straight and even because so far his are straight and even. Riverrose I HAVE to try that!!!! That will be our next trick if I can get him to do it!!! :)

Lil Timber, Teaching your guy won't take long. As was suggested before, wear gloves if you plan to wear gloves in the show ring. I "tickle" the horse's mouth first and then get them used to having their lips parted. After awhile it's no big deal.

Now, teaching him to part his own lips is another matter! LOL.

Straight bite does mean just that. The front teeth meet evenly with only 1/4 " (I think this is right - maybe it's less) allowed to be off either forward or backward.

Thank you Riverrose28, I will try to teach this trick to my horses as well...

I agree, the judge should have asked you to show the teeth, not do it himself. I'll never forget the fist time my 4-Hers had a showmanship judge ask to see their horses's teeth. He just walked down the line and made a gesture at each one with his hand mimicking a horse opening its mouth. They didn't know what in the whole he was doing at first, then a more experience kid guess right and they all followed suit.

There is mare in my barn taught to "smile"... They used something strong smelling to get the response along with a verbal and hand cue and rewarded with a carrot after each behavior. The mare will now smile when she sees treats being handed out down the aisle in an effort to beg...

My elder gelding was taught to lift his leg and paw for a treat. I'd like to bust the people that did that. It's not a "nice" habit and hard to break.

Latest posts

Back