Anyone had side effects after getting yearly shots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basketmiss

Reaction score
My boys had their shots Monday, seemed fine then yesterday one wasnt himself. He was hanging his head low and looking depressed.

The only thing differnet was the shots- 4 way and rabies. So I called vet, he had good gut sounds and good heartrate.

They gave him some butte told me not to grain.

He was acting better last night-not quite normal.

Vet said sometimes they can react to shots and just feel alittle OFF...

He acted even better this am and I went to feed them lunch and he IS better but not all the way.

He has been peeing and pooping and eating.

Should I be worried??

If he's a little droopy for a day or two and bounces back, I'd just make a note of it for next year and not worry. If his neck is very stiff and sore/swollen at injection site he needs a little more tlc. A little banamine generall takes care of it, but I've had a few who had more serious reactions - generally from Ft Dodge products - and needed hot compresses, banamine and probably a week's worth of extra care. The ones who tend to react now get a little banamine when I give shots, seems to take care of the problem.

Jan

Our vet no longer will use the Fort Dodge products for vaccination. After two years of reactions in our horses........and other clients, he switched to a different manufactoror. For the past three years we've had no problems, even with the young horses.

A little banamine helps get them through the reaction, but it's a good idea to keep a close eye on your guy. Good wishes to you!

I just went through this a couple of pages ago... All I can say is Please don't worry!

Mine had the same reaction and it lasted for at least 4 days! I gave banamine to the worst of the two, and just "rode it out". I personally think it's the rabies that does it. Next year I'm going to give the rabies on a diffrent week as the rest. Maybe that'll help. I know it's hard to see them hurting......just give extra love and they will be fine in a couple of days
default_smile.png

No, I wouldn't be worried. This is not all that uncommon. One of my mares always feels pretty bad for 4-5 days after shots...

Possibly next year, I'd aim to split the rabies apart from the other shot(s). The rabies vaccine from what I understand is pretty stressful to animals. However, that mare of mine will feel sore even if her 4-way / 5-way is given w/o rabies.

You may also want to have the shot given in his hind end. That way his neck won't be too sore to where he may not want to eat / drink as he normally would. The muscles back there are bigger, etc.

Next year you may (probably will) observe the same type symptoms, but at least then you will know what's going on. Last year, Harvey was afraid something was really wrong with Khaki (sore mare) and was afraid to tell me when I was driving home thinking I'd wreck (urgh). He was very concerned b/c he hadn't realized that was just how she felt after shots each time.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
The first time that Betsy (my mini mule) got her shots here, she fought the vet and his assistant like a tiger. After he left, I found syringes and other supplies all over the place, and I know at least one needle got bent in giving the shot. I wasn't surprised that she seemed a bit "off" that evening, after all the drama and trauma. By the next day, she was decidedly lame on the left front leg, the shots having been given in the neck and shoulder on that side. I felt sorry for her, but since she still wasn't talking to me
default_rolleyes.gif
I thought it might be better not to upset her more by trying to give her more meds. I know better now! Her leg became swollen, and continued to swell until I finally got some Bute (I know better about that too, now!) into her, a couple of days later. The reaction took several days to resolve. Now, she gets Banamine within minutes of the shot, regardless of her hystrionics. She still gets a hard knot the size of a small egg at the injection site, and the knot takes a couple of weeks to go away, but it's no more than that (and she's still talking to me!)
default_smile.png

Thanks for replies everyone. I feel better knowing this is normal...

He doesnt have a knot or anything and he didnt fight anyone-they both just stood there like angels, the vet commented on how adorable they were-Female! I agreed of course-why do you think I own them-they are pure sweetness!!

I will watch him and maybe do the rabies seperate next year or have them not in his neck.. At least now I know he might react like this. Giddy is fine, very sympathetic to Pal in his not quite right condition..

I suspect that the rabies was the cause for my "old" guy to have a reaction one year. He got a lump and acted lame and sore. Took about a week to get over it. We have since never given ALL the shots at one time.

However this year, my filly (4 yr) was so naughty that the vet gave her the Rhino flu in one side of the neck and then drew coggins and gave the EWT/ WNile on the other side because she wouldn't stand still for her rump. Needless to say she got a knot and it was hot for a couple of days. Hope this new vet can manage the rump shot next time for the rabies!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back