Anyone got a good design for a foal creep feeder?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsj

Reaction score
Hi, I need some ideas/pictures for a foal creep feeder - my poor orphan filly is desperate to stay with her sire as much as possible - but he will eat all her feed given the chance.
default_no.gif

I need ideas for how to section off a wide enough area so that he won't chase her from her food. I am just really stuck. They have a paddock and a shelter/stable 12ftx12ft with a run infront of it about 30ft x 12ft. I can separate them so that she can see him but she wants to be right next to him and in the paddock.

Please help if you can, my mind is giving up, still dealing with the loss of my mother-in-law as well as my mare in the last three weeks and looking after my baby and toddler - things are hard going at the moment.

Maria

Hi Maria

Do you have a farm store? I know here Cashmans sells a foal creep feeder gate you can buy. If you can back it up to your shelter you dont have to buy as many gates. The front panel has the small area that a foal can slip thru but not a horse.

You can also make your own using cattle panels and cut out one bottom panel. Just be sure its secure in the ground so they cant knock it over.

Good ideas, I'll take a look in the farm store later - have got some sheep hurdles too so maybe I can try something with those.

Thanks both.

Mine was as cheap as could be but it did work. I took a 2x4 and put it caddy corner in the run in shed/stall just high enough that my filly could scoot under it but my mare could not... I also had the feeder in the corner so that the mare could not reach it. Oh yeah you might want to attach feeder to wall, my filly liked to scoot floor feeder to mom so she could share!! The mare was a wonderful Mama she just didnt make a stitch of milk... This was before I learned about Domperidone...
default_wink.png

Diane could you post a picture, or email me a picture of you posts in the corner? Last year I tried everyone else's ideas, but the foal wouldn't go under the board. We raised it slightly, still wouldn't. We tried other material, nope. Then we got one of DH gigantic chains, pulled it tight across (I was always there. When they were done, or I had to leave, the chain with huge links came off on both ends and put on a shelf inside the stall). I tried ideas we used on Quarter Horse foals, nope. Oh, and mom figured out how to go under the chain! The posts sounds perfect, wish I could think of things like that.

Latest posts

Back