Anyone Gardening Yet?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked the Gala apples today. I was pleased with the way the stockings protected them. Not a single worm, though there were some ants on a few and the birds did manage to get to a few. The stockings wouldn't be feasible for an orchard or even a large tree, but it works for the espaliered tree. Now to make a pie...

gala apples.jpg

If anyone is interested, this is my brown cotton plant. Cotton is in the hibiscus family, so the flowers resemble them. I've been having trouble luring pollinators the last few years, but I notice the cotton flowers generally have some insects rummaging around in them. Cotton flowers are the source of a very sweet honey. The flower makes the boll, which bursts open showing the white, or in this case brown, cotton fiber. Plants are about 5 feet tall so far. Bolls won't be opening till October.

cotton bloom.jpg

cotton boll.jpg

I always love it when the cotton blooms around here ! I never knew it was in the hibiscus family so learn something new everyday. The flowers are really pretty... when the bolls open is the show though as it looks like snow everywhere, it is so beautiful to look across snow covered fields.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent some time over the weekend in the veggie plots , which has been my first chance in ages , due to the wonderful weather we have had.

Just need to get some chicken and cow manure to mix in to the soil before I plant them out.

Most seedlings will go in early October , cucumbers a little later , due to the spring frost here
default_smile.png

Put in a variety of different Strawberries yesterday. Not sure how they will do in regards to growing and taste. Bubblegum Strawberry, Razzberry Strawberry & Pineapple strawberry. They sound good but will they deliver ?
default_smile.png

Put in a variety of different Strawberries yesterday. Not sure how they will do in regards to growing and taste. Bubblegum Strawberry, Razzberry Strawberry & Pineapple strawberry. They sound good but will they deliver ?
default_smile.png
Will they bear the first year?

For me, a strawberry bed is rather high maintenance for its return. But the plants/flowers/fruit are attractive so go for it. I have not heard of those varieties, but they sound delicious!

I agree with You Marsha, I tried them in the bed last year and found it to be too high maintenance. This year i have gone with planting them into a half wine barrel
default_smile.png

Im hoping the bear fruit this year , fingers crossed !!

got to be quick around here to get a strawberry away from the chickens. I can say we have some beautiful plants though lol

Latest posts

Back