Anyone from the Oklahoma area?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyL

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is anyone from the Oklahoma area? I am looking to move there after I graduate from college. I have an aunt that lives there, and I would be able to bring my little herd of miniatures with me.
default_yes.gif

But I was just looking for some information!

Is there a great need for certified vet techs? (I will graduate with an Associates in veterinary technology)

I know that hay is hard to get at this year, is it always that hard to find good hay?

How do your horse's/other pets (if you have any) deal with the heat?

Anyway, any information would be helpful. Just thinking about my future.
default_aktion033.gif

The best people ever......ROBIN is one who lives there!! ....she has nice horses too so it wouldnt cost too much for shipping LOL

She'll come on and tell ya more but I do know they have been suffering greatly with the dry grasses and heat!!

Thanks Heidi you're sweet!
default_wub.png

We are from CA and have lived in OK for over 20 yrs and have had minis for 18 yrs and big horses before that.

My horses did just fine in the nasty heat this year! Thank God. When I have foals or horses that feel hot I put fans up for them
default_smile.png

It's not usually hard to find hay at all. It's just this year has been bad. But it was extra unusual.

There's always a need for vets and good vet techs!

An AMHR club, AMHA club, lots of shows! Plus you'd be near both A & R Nationals/World!
default_aktion033.gif

Some very nice people too like Mary, Jules, Theresa, Nancy, Erika, etc that are forum members that live in OK.

Oh and ME!
default_laugh.png
default_rolleyes.gif

Where in OK does your Aunt live?

Robin
default_saludando.gif

Im Jules.
default_biggrin.png

I live near Altus, OK. SW of Robin.

I think I am in a good place if raising minis is what you want to do. Close to both the National show and the World show. LOTS of mini breeders in our area.

Hay has NEVER been as hard to find as it is this year. But, sometimes it does get difficult to find quality hay at certain times of the year.

The heat doesn't seem to really bother my horses. Bothers me ALOT more because I am out having to work in it. None of my horses are stalled with fans or anything. It actually feels cooler out under the trees in the shade where the breeze blows. I did have 2 foals that got dehydrated and drained around 3 days old this year. They were born during the hottest part of our summer and even though I DID keep them in front of fans and misters, it was just tooo hot for a newborn to handle.

Thank you for the information!

My aunt lives in Moore, OK. My horses would be with our friend about 45 minutes from my aunt's place, (not sure which direction!).

My boyfriend (He is going to ask me to marry him next year, maybe sooner, when he can afford the ring, haha) would be moving out there with me. He is tired of MN winter.

We'll get married in MN, and then move out there most likely.

I still have a little bit before graduation and all the other stuff comes, but I just wanted to start thinking about it.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Moore is near lots of horsie things to do & people. Not all that far from me. Find out which direction from Moore! I hope not in the opposite direction!

Moore is not far from Guthrie and Stillwater. There are several breeders up that way.

That part of OK has a huge equine industry. Property is affordable there also. My horses did not really mind the heat. And hay has never been an issue before this year.

Every place has it's pros and cons. We've been back in SW OK for 10 years, coming here from 20 years in NM. A summer like this one makes one start to look around for a "better" place, but when everything is weighed we think this is a good place to be.

Latest posts

Back