Anyone familar with this? Why does it happen?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a filly that did this due to facial nerve damage she got in a freak accident. It was temorary until the nerves healed, which took about a month. My vet suggested that I squirt water into her mouth with a large syringe with the end cut off to clean the food out. In addition to the chewing problem, she couldn't move her ear or close her eye. She healed 100% and now you would never know.

Some horses do this if they have sharp edges on their teeth, to stop their teeth rubbing their cheeks. Has she had a dentist check lately?

kylie

Fiona if you are using the vet I use. DON"T LET THEM DO TEETH. They are really lousy at it I know from past experience. I have someone else do mine. I can give you a couple of names.

When I had the vet out to float Kya's teeth last week she noticed that Kya has a pouch in the side of her cheek where food collects. She said it was due to a tooth that stuck out farther than the rest. She filed it down so that it was flush with the rest of her teeth and the problem seems to be much better now. She still collects a little as she eats but is able to get it out shortly after her meal.

It's called quiding (not sure on the spelling) and usually is a tooth issue that causes them to pack food. You will need to have a qualified equine dentist or vet do a complete tooth checkup and probably power float.

If left untreated, this can result in further irritation to the check and gums with possible abcess from food sitting in there, even a tiny piece working it's way into a cut etc, and other problems. Believe me, you sure don't want to have to deal with the problems that can result, and neither will your sweet horse. Hope you have access to a qualified vet or dentist.
default_yes.gif

Independence (in my avatar) has an extra row of teeth (diagnosed by her equine dentist) and when those teeth are sharp, she packs a wad in her cheeks. She was floated last October and so far, so good!

Nefertiti does the quidding thing but she doesn't hold her wads of hay - we found them on the floor...but since her diagnosis of a partially paralyzed tongue by the equine dentist and confirmed by our veterinarian, we had modified her diet to a "slurry" and she seems to be quidding less.

Good luck - I would have a good dentist take a peek at her.

Denise

Silversong Farm

They can also do that if they are missing a tooth. We had an old pony mare do that due to a missing tooth.

I had a mare that packed her cheeks and my vet told me that horses will do that when they come from areas where there is not a lot of feed. They eat what they can, when they can and pack their cheeks so they will have food for later.

After she had been with my herd for a while, she did stop doing that so I assumed he must have been correct. It was not a dental problem with her as she had been checked.

I have a 10 year mare that does this. Have had completly checked. Bought her from a breeder that has about 300 minis. Katie's reason for packing is food hording-at dinner time she'll spit it out-looks like tobacco chew.........she's healthy and happy and due any day...............

Latest posts

Back