Anyone ever try rabbit alfalfa pellets?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rubymtminis

I only have one senior mini, she is doing great on Orchard hay (screamingly high priced at $18.50 a 60lb bale) and senior feed. But my others also get 1/2 inch alfalfa pellets, and supplements depending on the age and horse. I didn't want to have to start soaking beet pulp or alfalfa pellets in the near future when she needs it. So last time I was in the feed store I noticed the 40lb bags of alfalfa rabbit pellets, and wondered if that would be an option to giving her instead of soaking beet pulp or pellets. I used to raise show and 4-H rabbits, so I thought it might be a good alternative, anyone try it?

I've never tried it, but as long as its plain alfalfa pellets (only ingredient is alfalfa) and NOT fortified for rabbits, then it should be fine.

My feed store told me that rabbit pellets had added vitamins, and was NOT recommended for horses.

I would carefully read the tag and ask first.

Andrea

We use the 1/4" pellets............they're not just for rabbits! :DOH! Many horse and other people use them in their feeding programs!

the benefit of the smaller pellets is that they crumble easily so you don't have to worry about choaking. We've got a 25-year old mare with some missing teeth. Her ration is soaked in warm water to make it easier for her to eat. We love the small pellets.

Kruse Feeds carries a 5/32" pellet which is the same size as a rabbit pellet. That's what we feed our minis.

Thank you so much for all of your responses. I thought I had been clear that I was inquiring about pelleted alfalfa, not fortified feed for animals other than horses. Which brings to mind another topic awhile back. I found out that the empty round metal (now plastic) tubs of cattle minerals makes a perfect, 18 inch high, indestructable feeder for minis. I had a colt that pawed badly while feeding, that cured him. The edges are rolled, we had them hanging around waiting for a reason to turn them into something else. They are lightweight enough for me to move around. Yet there is nothing for my little ones to rub on, paw, or tear up.

And of course they are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized, with no residue left. They are free too, or used to be.

I have fed rabbit pellets to my minis. They make the horses very FAT. There is nothing in the pellets that will hurt a horse. My goat also eats the rabbit pellets she too is fat. I don't feed the rabbit pellets to the horses anymore because they cost about as much as any of the horse feed.

I fed a couple bags of rabbit pellets one time--bought them because the feed store was completely out of the regular "horse" alfalfa cubes and pellets. The horse alfalfa pellets we've had (and I seldom buy those because they are so HARD and the horses don't care for them) are very hard packed, and very small pellets. I checked to make sure the rabbit pellets were only alfalfa with no extras added so had no concerns about feeding them. They were a larger pellet and very, very green--the horses weren't thrilled with them either, which surprised me a bit--I thought they'd really go for them.

I feed 1/4" alfalfa pellets as the main staple of my horses' diet. I've been feeding those for 20 years or so and my horses have always done extremely well on them. As long as they are straight alfalfa, they are an excellent source of protein and fiber.
default_smile.png

If there is any question about content or manufacturing of the pellets, ask the feed store. Usually they can tell you what is in the pellets and if not can get with the company that makes them and get answers about content. Feed stores can be a wealth of information if you ask them about nutrition.

Latest posts

Back