anyne from North Carolina?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangoMango

Reaction score
Hubby and I are so sick of his job right now, one day its, maybe lays offs, the next its possible company buy out. This job has been real study until DHL bought out Airborne Express. Hubby is an aircraft mechanic, and now his job security seems to be iffy at best.

~Any aircraft jobs in NC?

~How are your seasons? average heat and humidity? average low/high in winter?

~Is horse property readily available at a decent price? I dont care if it is on the coast or

further inland.

~How about bugs? we used to live in Savannah Georgia and I couldnt STAND the

humidity and mosquitoes.

But i am definitely interested in somewhere with a milder winter.

Anyone have any pics of NC they would like to post???

Thanks so much for your time!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not live in NC, but my Mother's side of the family does and my Sister has lived there for over 20 years so I've spent alot of time there.

My sister is in real estate and she is doing very well right now, showing the economy there must be a heck of alot better than some places, at least where she lives.

The weather there is nice, winters are very very mild, which is nice...but the summers are extremely, extremely humid..she lives near Pinehurst...if you can get further up north, in the mountains abit, I'm sure the humidity wouldn't be so severe.

My sister specializes in horse property and from what she says it is readily available...what you consider a descent price all depends on who you talk to.

Bugs are awful there...downright scarey! Lots of them and they are very large!

It is a very pretty state and people are friendly there...the humidity is the only thing I don't like.

Not from there, but in my opinion it is one of the most beautiful places in the country. We've got bugs and humidity to rival theirs LOL, but no Smokies.

Jan

Top three Horse states = Calf, Texas, Okla. & ALL three are loaded w/aircraft work; in fact they are hiring in many places in each of these states. Tenn is a beautiful state with horse places all over and limited aircraft work. Tulsa, Okla has the largest(American Airlines) maintenance base in the WORLD. Okla City has Tinker air base; an extemely large miltary operation that hirse many non-military aircraft people. Texas has four of the largest cities(population) in the USA & each of them use many air craft personnel.

Each state mentioned has mutiple faces depending which section you look at; which means when you locate a state remember East & West may be TOTALLY different "Worlds" to live or work in. NC has the mountains in the West & Coastal in the East, mucho different. Arkansas has SEVEN distinct differ contours within the same state. Every state has their own form of natural disasters. (Earth quakes, hurricanies, floods, wild fires, etc) Just which scares you more?

Good luck on your search.
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

I do live in NC and close to an airport. I have a couple of friends whose husbands are airplane mechanics and work in the area.

We do have heat and humidity, just like everyone else. But it's never long lasting, just like very cold weather, it comes and then it warms up again. I think we had a dusting of snow once this year. We have not had alot of rain so hay and pasture are scarce. The housing market is a buyers market now.

I do love it here, we now have three AMHA shows, two AMHR shows within the state and only a 7 hour drive to KY for Julep Cup or OH for Silver Jubilee. Ten hours from Ocala, FL.

As for bad weather, where I live, the most we see of Hurricanes is when the Hockey team plays, We might get rain from a real hurricane but never very bad weather, we are to far inland, but can be at the beach in 4 hours. The mountains stop so much of the harsh weather coming from the west, about the only time we get bad weather is if it comes up from the gulf. I have lived here almost 8 years and never had to deal with tornadoes, earthquakes, blizzards, and only one ice storm.

And there are lots of miniature horse people.

Thanks guys, I have been doing a little research . I appreciate everyones time. As for moving to Texas, its just too far from family. AND Cali, I was born there, moved and will visit, but wont move back.

Thanks again for all the comments.

I moved to NC form CT 2 years ago and I couldn't be happier.

Compared to CT humidity I think NC is far better.

I love the open land and there are plenty of areas for horse farms.

I live in a very rural town and we have horses all over the neighborhood. I got my first mini about a month ago.

Pope Airforce base is 30 mins away..I have n o idea if they hire civilians.

Fayetteville regional Airport is 20 mins away and Raleigh Durham is 2 hours away.

After living in the overcrowded, altho beautiful state of CT I think I will stay here.

Good Luck in your search

Back