Anybody heard this? Some vets are now Taking Pics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shminifancier

Reaction score
From the poster here is what they said and many others are Also having pics taken and the cost is getting out of line~!!

OMG??

I just paid 40 dollars for mine! I used a new vet and everyone assured me that he was cheap! Well, he's NOT! I really like him but wow.........that was one whopper of a bill for just a tiny blood sample.

And another poster:;

I used Elkhorn Vet. They did the pictures. I think it's better than the old yellow sheet. Plus they have the real pics online, in a database that they can share with any vet, etc, so if you move, they can still be accessed(or if something happened to your horse). Yes, pic quality isn't good on printout, but you can still see the markings. I do like the idea. They took pics, one of each side and one front shot. They did a good job of just getting the horse(which was nice for the previous posts reasons, LOL)

So not only are you having the Premises ID thing and in 2 years an animal RFID Now the Vets even have the pictures on file~! What are your thoughts on this??

I think it's an OK idea for marked horses with distinct markings, but what about solid colored horses? A solid Bay is a solid Bay, for instance and could be any horse of same sex.

Just wonder if it could be the old "bait and switch" routine again if one wanted to be crooked and sly which of course none of us would but would people taking horses to auction use that? They probably do now eh? Maxine

With todays technology it only makes sense to take pictures. I have trouble printing my name much less drawing pictures of markings. Many of my horses are overos and those patterns drive me nuts to draw.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that AMHR still has us draw the markings for registration. Time to come out of the dark ages. They could never identify horses with those drawings.

I am not understanding the person paid 40 bucks for a coggins and feels that is double what they should pay???

I had a coggins done with no pictures and it was $50..............I will take the $40 coggins with pictures off anyones hands if they feel it is too much.

Last year when I had coggins done my vet had switched to the "computerized" coggins and we did the pictures. $40.00 is not too much for coggins in our area. Though the cost did increase with the change.

The problem I had is that it took so long to get the first coggins done on each horse. The vet office was very slow getting the data entered into the computer so it took over a month to get the papers. They did say once a horse was in there that it was all current and would be quicker, but these were horses I sold and so the rest still need to be brought current. I still have to do it, since in WI we need a coggins after jan 1st of the current year I have waited for 06, now I will have to start doing some again.

Anne

I am not understanding the person paid 40 bucks for a coggins and feels that is double what they should pay???
Because around here in WI. most vets are only charging $18~!! And that is what mine charges also...Now this is not the Farm Call included..... just the Coggins test alone is $18 and now some people are getting charged $40 just for the coggins being drawn because of the pictures being taken for each horse..So you see, it is double what most have paid last year for just the blood test..

We've seen a lot of the coggins w/pictures lately. Honestly, it's a really good idea. The goobers at the state inspection stations 90% of the time don't even know what "Bay" is.

They look at the horse, look confused, look at the paperwork again, glance at the horse, look confused again....then say "Have a good day".

We could go through (just for example) with a coggins for a 12 year old bay Percheron mare, but say the coggins is for this horse (which could be a yearling b/w paint colt) and I honestly don't think they would know the difference. It's a good idea to have the pictures, I think. Keeps people straight
default_wink.png
:

**I will say I'd be mad about the $40.00. We just got all 4 of our big horses done, and it was $20 bucks per horse (no fancy pictures, though).

OUr coggins are $23. Most of our horses are already in the computer at the vets office so all they do is print out the sheet every year. Yes I went down there a few years ago and put all the info in for them to do so. Now the only ones that need to be done are the yearlings.

Ours here are 27.00 for the old yellow, they do offer the digital, not sure how much, I had a lady show me one that looked like a license at the last show.

<<Some vets are now Taking Pics, When Doing a coggins test?? >>

Nothing new. Been around here for 3 or 4 years now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always feel so fortunate with my small town/country vet.

Not only does he truly care about my little horses, but costs are still very reasonable (there is that word :)

compared to the big city vets 80 miles away.

My coggins still cost $16.50 each.

Susan O.

My coggins cost $6.00 (ducking and running) of course, I get mine done straight from the source. No middle man! :new_shocked:

I wonder if this means that the subsequent years Coggins on those horses would be CHEAPER-- after all, they would already have their pictures in the computer, so less to do for renewals, right? Or am I just being optimistic?

I knew the photo coggins were coming, it's a good improvement. Haven't had one done here yet so I don't know what the increase will be for us. I've been paying $20/25 for coggins.

Jan

Wow honestly I WISH coggins were regularly done with photo's! I received the original coggins sheet on a mare I purchased and the drawing looks NOTHING like her, I questioned the owner and the vet that drew it and soon found a lawyer calling me in their defense so I dropped the issue but still...this girl was a minimally marked pinto with barely any white on her body and the coggins drawing clearly showed a horse with a large patch of white over the rump and a large patch of white extending over the shoulders and down the back, and there was no star drawn on the face which my mare clearly had a big star on her forehead - the old owners excuse was "she was drawn in winter woolies" - well she has winter woolies now and I think we all know pinto's markings don't change into huge blotches just because of winter hair!

Anyhow...yes i'm still pi**ed over that but it's in the past =)

I live in WI and our coggins around here are $26.50 but i'd definately pay $40 for photo coggins to clearly show the horse. Yes a solid horse is a solid horse is a solid horse, but take a look around, your solid horse can look very different from the next as far as confirmation, I can tell when I see a photo of a horse I own or know.

JMO =)

Well who knows what holds in store for us in the next few years.. Maybe and I only put this out as a maybe..they will have everything then on the coggins paper, as sort of an identification for that animal...The Premise ID the RFID tag number and the Pic, done for the coggins so everything is on One piece of paper for each animal owned~! just a wild guess. Then all the ID tracking is done at once..

Wow honestly I WISH coggins were regularly done with photo's! I received the original coggins sheet on a mare I purchased and the drawing looks NOTHING like her, I questioned the owner and the vet that drew it and soon found a lawyer calling me in their defense so I dropped the issue but still...this girl was a minimally marked pinto with barely any white on her body and the coggins drawing clearly showed a horse with a large patch of white over the rump and a large patch of white extending over the shoulders and down the back, and there was no star drawn on the face which my mare clearly had a big star on her forehead - the old owners excuse was "she was drawn in winter woolies" - well she has winter woolies now and I think we all know pinto's markings don't change into huge blotches just because of winter hair!

Anyhow...yes i'm still pi**ed over that but it's in the past =)

I live in WI and our coggins around here are $26.50 but I'd definitely pay $40 for photo coggins to clearly show the horse. Yes a solid horse is a solid horse is a solid horse, but take a look around, your solid horse can look very different from the next as far as confirmation, I can tell when I see a photo of a horse I own or know.

JMO =)

WOW, I cant imagine what mine will go up to if that is the case, we already pay $60 per coggins and $35 for him to come out and take the coggins, yep thats right basically $95 for a 10 day coggins, if it is an emergency, watch out it is going to cost you nearly $140 for a fast results one....so if he has to carry a camera I can only imagine what it will be.....

WOW, I cant imagine what mine will go up to if that is the case, we already pay $60 per coggins and $35 for him to come out and take the coggins, yep thats right basically $95 for a 10 day coggins, if it is an emergency, watch out it is going to cost you nearly $140 for a fast results one....so if he has to carry a camera I can only imagine what it will be.....
Yep our coggins is the cheap part its the other stuff that kills you. When all said and done a coggins runs around $70. That is why we try to lump our vet work together if we can. We only live about 10mins if that from the vets office to.

WE have a stallion that needs a coggins as well..............if I can I will be getting a colt gelded and a mare flushed the same time to help save on trip charge as well as the $1.50 a min that they are hear.

Latest posts

Back