Another Winter Storm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This December has set records for our area of Oklahoma: cold lows, snow amounts, and now our latest ice storm. So far our power is still on, because the wind is not blowing. But there is a dangerous accumulation of ice on the trees. The heated waterers are working fine for the animals. Hopefully there won't be any more rain until the temperatures rise a degree or two.

icywreath.jpg

Oh my, Marsha, hope your heat holds out and you all stay safe. That ice is so pretty on the trees, but deadly I know.

We are suppose to get the ice tonight.. Yes, it sure is pretty to look at if no damage happens..

We made it through yesterday with no wind. Praying the wind doesn't get up before the temperature gets above freezing. All our trees are bowed to the ground with ice. Power lines, too, but they are more easily replaceable than our trees. Latches on pens, chains and locks, outside pen doors--it's a real challenge in ice. The horses are trying to paw through the ice to graze. They have free choice hay, but they'd rather forage.

An ice storm is good for photography but not much else.

Were out of power and trees down everywhere. Had to pull frozen down branches off fences all morning as a tree or branch snaps every minute here currently. Its pretty out thats for sure but the damage is bad.

Weird weather here in Delaware today.I was outside in just a t shirt and sweating doing barn chores this morning.No snow or ice for us this week yet.It may be coming.Nice to have no gas heaters on to keep pipes from freezing in the milk house where my water pump is.I am ready for spring.Now to get through Jan,Feb and March-wishing my life away.

This will be day 3 of ice, but we've been assured by the weatherman that it will get above freezing today. Yesterday it got to 32 briefly and it was dangerous to be out, as chunks of ice fell from power lines and roofs. We are so fortunate that the wind did not blow.

Thinking of all of you dealing with winter storms.IMO ICE is much worse than snow.Saying my prayers that all of you and all your critters stay safe and warm and have electricity and plenty of hay feed and water.

Crazy weather here too. The last few days I thought I was going to die in the awful heat then this morning I'm wearing a coat and beanie.

Dumb question....why is the ice in the trees dangerous?

Crazy weather here too. The last few days I thought I was going to die in the awful heat then this morning I'm wearing a coat and beanie.

Dumb question....why is the ice in the trees dangerous?
It is very thick on the trees. The trees are broken by the weight of the ice. Not only does it destroy the trees, but the limbs and trees fall on things. My sister's QH filly had a tree fall in her pen this morning. It scared her and she broke down one of the panels of the pen. Another horse owner found her. Luckily the filly was not hurt. Whole sheets of ice fall off roofs. Very dangerous.

Been thinking about you Marsha! stay safe!! I know that ice is a beeoch It is beautiful, like your beautiful wreath with the ice, but very deadly.

Finally lost the last of the ice yesterday. We were so lucky the wind didn't blow! Two mornings the dew point was the same as the temperature and there was hoar frost on everything. The evergreen trees appeared to be covered in sugar, and the horses had frosty white whiskers. I think they have rather enjoyed this weather. They get extra rations and heated water!

I know other places had weather troubles also.

Still icey here plus now 4+ inchs of snow!

Been out of power since last Saturday and heard not gonna have any anytime soon. Generator eats $60 of gas every 24 hrs... and the cable is out!

Im board! Im broke! And tired of no power!

We have electric crews contracted in from Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Ohio, and Texas working round the clock trying to restore power to our county. I heard my county (lapeer, mi) was one of the worst hit from this storm. We still only have 97, 000+ still without power and I guess its a new record here.

Well everyone's been complaining about not having a good Michigan winter in years....

NOW WHAT!!!

LOL
default_smile.png

Just was woke up to the winds wipping up breaking ice off trees causing tree branchs to snap. The temp has rose up as well so now recausing more power outrages again!

Gee, MindyLee, that is terrible. We went through that twice in the last 10 years; 2 weeks without power and all our trees damaged or ruined. That's why we were so thankful the wind didn't blow this time. I know what you mean about the generator!

Global warming, you know....

Latest posts

Back