And the wheels are starting to fall off....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle_E.

Reaction score
Prominent conservative columnist Kathleen Parker, an early supporter of Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin, said Friday recent interviews have shown the Alaska governor is "out of her league" and should leave the GOP presidential ticket for the good of the party.
The criticism in Parker's Friday column is the latest in a recent string of negative assessments toward the McCain-Palin candidacy from prominent conservatives.

It was fun while it lasted," Parker writes. "Palin’s recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who is clearly out of her league."

Palin's interview with Couric drew criticism when the Alaska governor was unable to provide an example of when John McCain had pushed for more regulation of Wall Street during his Senate career. Palin also took heat for defending her foreign policy credentials by suggesting Russian leaders enter Alaska airspace when they come to America. Palin was also criticized last week for appearing not to know what the Bush Doctrine is during an interview with Charlie Gibson.

“If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself," Parker also writes. "If Palin were a man, we’d all be guffawing, just as we do every time Joe Biden tickles the back of his throat with his toes. But because she’s a woman — and the first ever on a Republican presidential ticket — we are reluctant to say what is painfully true."

Parker, who praised McCain's "keen judgment" for picking Palin earlier this month and wrote the Alaska governor is a "perfect storm of God, Mom and apple pie," now says Palin should step down from the ticket.

“Only Palin can save McCain, her party, and the country she loves," Parker writes. She can bow out for personal reasons, perhaps because she wants to spend more time with her newborn. No one would criticize a mother who puts her family first. Do it for your country."

Parker's comments follow those by prominent conservatives David Brooks, George Will, and David Frum who have all publicly questioned Palin's readiness to be vice president.

"Sarah Palin has many virtues," Brooks wrote in a recent column. "If you wanted someone to destroy a corrupt establishment, she'd be your woman. But the constructive act of governance is another matter. She has not been engaged in national issues, does not have a repertoire of historic patterns and, like President Bush, she seems to compensate for her lack of experience with brashness and excessive decisiveness."

McCain made 'huge mistake,' Huckabee saysPosted: 02:12 PM ET

From CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Huckabee thinks McCain made a big mistake.

(CNN) – Former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said Friday the John McCain made a "huge mistake" by even floating the possibility he would not appear at the first presidential debate as planned.

“You can’t just say, ‘World stop for a moment. I’m going to cancel everything,” Huckabee told the Associated Press Thursday.

Huckabee, who vied with McCain for the GOP presidential nomination long after it appeared McCain was the party's presumptive nominee, has been an on-and-off critic of the Arizona senator. Earlier this summer he took part in a Washington, DC rally calling on McCain and Obama to highlight more evangelical issues on the campaign trail. He also criticized McCain's campaign when it alleged Obama's "lipstick on a pig" comments was an intended slight at Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin.

McCain abruptly announced Wednesday he would travel to Washington in hopes of striking a deal on the economic bailout deal, and said he would not attend a debate unless an agreement had been reached. Late Friday morning campaign aides said McCain felt sufficient progress had been made on the and he would attend the debate.

But the bill itself appears very much up in the air. After what was described by members of both parties as a "contentious" meeting at the White House Thursday afternoon, congressional leaders are still trying to hammer out a compromise on the Bush administration proposal. Speaking to reporters Friday morning, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said McCain's presence on the Hill helped stall negotiations.

"All he has done is stand in front of the cameras," said Reid, who has long had a chilly relationship with McCain. "We still don't know where he stands on the issue."

Filed under: Barack Obama • John McCain • Mike Huckabee

I guess he is psychic as well.

McCain camp releases ad claiming debate victoryPosted: 12:21 PM ET

The McCain campaign released a web ad Friday claiming McCain won the debate.

(CNN) – The time between the final answer in any presidential debate and the campaign press release declaring victory can usually best be measured in milliseconds. But John McCain’s campaign – which has been downplaying his performance at Friday’s faceoff, offering praise for opponent Barack Obama’s “eloquence” and debating skill – seems to have decided it’s never too soon to start spinning the outcome.

The Washington Post reported Friday that the campaign was running an online ad featuring the headline: "McCain Wins Debate!" and a photo of a smiling McCain and an American flag background. Another featured a quote from McCain campaign manager Rick Davis: "McCain won the debate — hands down."

So we can expect an announcement tomorrow that Palin won the VP debates, and before the end of next week that McCain accepts Obama's concession?
default_rolleyes.gif

One of the final comments in this article doesn't surprise me one bit after he (McCain) was critized for going to Washington and being a "hindrance" to the proceedings..... I guess the grandstanding hasn't helped him, even though I am sure he thought it would to be the first one out of the gate so to speak.

Sen. John McCain, who announced he was pulling out of Friday night's presidential debate to help forge legislation to save crippled U.S. financial markets, believes enough progress has been made for him to debate Democrat Sen. Barack Obama, his campaign said Friday.

John McCain says Congress has made enough progress on the bailout package for him to debate Friday.

1 of 2 But it added McCain plans to return to Washington after the debate. Obama issued a statement saying he plans to return, also.

McCain said Wednesday he was suspending his campaign events, along with his advertising, to return to Washington. He said he would take part in the debate if congressional action were taken to address the $700 billion bailout package.

By midday, no strong evidence indicated that members of Congress were making significant headway as proposals were weighed, said CNN's Dana Bash.

McCain has made some progress with the GOP leadership, but not with others in the House and Senate, she said.

Some fellow lawmakers said McCain hasn't contributed much to the financial debate, and senior campaign advisers told CNN they believed it was politically crucial that McCain show up at the debate in Oxford, Mississippi. Watch Sen. Reid say McCain got in the way »

Bash said a senior adviser to McCain agreed that McCain seemed to be hindering the negotiating process rather than helping it.

Debate Night in America

Obama and McCain face off on the issues live in Mississippi. Join the best political team for your front row seat.

Tonight, beginning 8 ET

see full schedule »

"We understand that what we need to do is get McCain out of here, get him out of town, because the minute that McCain is somebody seen as brokering this, that's going to kill it," Bash quoted him as saying.

She said sources inside McCain's campaign understand he was "political dynamite."

Bash said there was "political posturing" in both the Obama and McCain camps ahead of the debate.

McCain's advisers have told CNN that McCain needs to turn the tide of the campaign, and must try to direct the debate toward his niche, foreign policy issues. Watch analysts call McCain's move a misstep »

As McCain left Washington, his campaign issued a statement expressing optimism.

"Sen. McCain has spent the morning talking to members of the administration, members of the Senate and members of the House," the statement said.

"He is optimistic that there has been significant progress toward a bipartisan agreement now that there is a framework for all parties to be represented in negotiations, including Representative (Roy) Blunt as a designated negotiator for House Republicans.

"The McCain campaign is resuming all activities," the statement said.

Obama had contended all along that the debate should go on, saying the financial crisis made it even more important for the public to hear the candidate's views. Watch Obama say there is 'real progress' on the bailout »

"At this point, my strong sense is that the best thing that I can do, rather than to inject presidential politics into some delicate negotiations, is to go down to Mississippi and explain to the American people what is going on and my vision for leading the country over the next four years," he said in a statement released Friday.

"So I am looking forward to the debate and look forward after the debate to coming back to Washington and hopefully getting a package done."

One of the final comments in this article doesn't surprise me one bit after he (McCain) was critized for going to Washington and being a "hindrance" to the proceedings..... I guess the grandstanding hasn't helped him, even though I am sure he thought it would to be the first one out of the gate so to speak.
Personally I think both McCain and Obama SHOULD have much to say in this final bill for the bailout because one or the other IS going to inherit whatever is decided on. Why shouldn't they be involved in it? Call me anything you want but for Obama to say "Call me if you need me" was a really really stupid statement. Bush wanted John McCain there because he is the only one who can bring the sides together. He can see both sides and go against his own party if he has to. I think we will find out tonight at the debates.

Hey Dani!!!!!!! Miss ya!

Ok you know how I REALLY feel about this whole election?

I REALLY and HONESTLY think I don't want either man for the job. I do not trust OBAMA. Sorry, I just feel he is not as American as apple pie. I do like Biden but I also feel that Biden has his shortcomings. Probably too many for running this whole country.

I wish we had at least one more candiate to choose from.

I'm just not really happy with either of these two men at all.

I'm back on the fence.

One of the final comments in this article doesn't surprise me one bit after he (McCain) was criticized for going to Washington and being a "hindrance" to the proceedings..... I guess the grandstanding hasn't helped him, even though I am sure he thought it would to be the first one out of the gate so to speak.

Except the truth is McCain didn't say more than a few words.

It was Obama who took over the meeting and tried to run it and when he was done acting and sounding like a fool he left and said he would be in touch by phone. Could it be he didn't have a teleprompter or aides to tell him what to say? Obama was the one grandstanding!

If this was the fix all bill why haven't/didn't the dems pass the bill? They have the majority and don't need republicans.

McCain camp releases ad claiming debate victory.

Ummm maybe dementia is setting in...

Hey Dani!!!!!!! Miss ya!
Ok you know how I REALLY feel about this whole election?

I REALLY and HONESTLY think I don't want either man for the job. I do not trust OBAMA. Sorry, I just feel he is not as American as apple pie. I do like Biden but I also feel that Biden has his shortcomings. Probably too many for running this whole country.

I wish we had at least one more candiate to choose from.

I'm just not really happy with either of these two men at all.

I'm back on the fence.
Hey buddy
default_wub.png
, I truly do respect that you have a right to your choice lol, but, and perhaps I am reading or read your earlier statements wrong, and if I have a profusely apologize, but it's difficult for me to swallow some of the things that have been said about him as a candidate, that he is linked to the terrorists, hence portraying him as a terrorist and a threat to the U.S. or because he is of mixed race. If anyone says to me, I just don't like his policies, I have studied both sides and for me personally, I can't vote for him. That to me is something I can't fault at all of anyone. What has been strange in your (American) presidential race it the ridiculous allegatgions on BOTH sides. I said it a few weeks ago before the financial meltdown happened to this extent... I asked Americans here if the economy wasn't thee most important thing to look at with both candidates? instead of the things that seemed so silly, like how many cars does one have, what make are they. What the heck does that matter????? I just couldn't get my head around that some thought that was more news worthy then the issues that truly matter.

Your choice is your choice Marty in the end and as a Canadian I have no say whatsoever even though it truly does touch on many other countries but perhaps some Americans don't realize just how much because they are focused more inward only.

Whoever should win, I hope that they can help get your country back on it's feet economically, can get people back to work and get the housing crisis stopped, stop the bleeding as they say. I have said many many times on various threads that Americans are the most giving people on the face of this earth, they deserve better than what you are all going through at this time

Hugs to you and your family Marty!

(McCain) was criticized for going to Washington and being a "hindrance" to the proceedings...
I do not remember nor can I find the name right now but someone had said that McCain's input would be helpful. Then after McCain got there he was told to get out of town.

It was Obama who took over the meeting and tried to run it and when he was done acting and sounding like a fool he left and said he would be in touch by phone. Could it be he didn't have a teleprompter or aides to tell him what to say? Obama was the one grandstanding!
As Obama was on his way to make the meeting he was emailed the information that he was to say....... WELL it was the WRONG information that was sent to him so Obama had to wing it on his own.

If this was the fix all bill why haven't/didn't the dems pass the bill? They have the majority and don't need republicans.
............. I heard that today also. The democrats need the republicans yes vote so they can have a blaming post if/when it fails. Someone also said that 20% of this money in this Democratic bill goes toward organizations like the Obama linked vote fraud organization ACORN.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back