Palin spent taxpayer money to attend religious events

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This got totally off topic.... Supose to be how Palin spent the taxpayers money to attend the religious events.. Which seemed that no one really cared or got upset about it!
default_saludando.gif

The problem is the hypocrasy. The amount doesnt so much matter as the 'do as I say, not as i do' politics. Why dont people understand that? Dont tell me how you are against pork barrel spending etc etc etc, then go DO IT or use it.

Once again, if Obama did this, you all would be flipping out. But since the shoe in on the other foot, make the poster feel like this was ignorant to post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry Pepipony, I feel far from ignorant. The response (or lack thereof) to this discovery here is saddening, but not shocking.

But I'm off to work, now. I love my job.
default_wub.png

She used the funds to attend a function. She did not use the funds to support said function. She did not give tax payers money to a church or religious organization. She used funds to attend a function and meet with the people she is suppsed to represent. Period! There is no basis for the seperation of church and state arguement in this instance. Because she did not put church and state together. They never mixed. Now, if she had handed over funds from tax payers to a church or regligous group of any sort, I would have issues as well and that would certinaly be classified as crossing the line as to seperation but, she didn't.

I'm telling you, too much time on your hands there! Find better things to attack. There has to be something. And abuse of power? Oh please, that guy is lucky it was her and not me in office after what he did.

Dont tell me how you are against pork barrel spending etc etc etc, then go DO IT or use it. Once again, if Obama did this, you all would be flipping out. But since the shoe in on the other foot, make the poster feel like this was ignorant to post.
Obama did this. I would call a million dollars a day for every day he was in office a little excessive on the pork barrel spending. Wouldn't you? From what I have heard John McCain has never asked for a dollar in pork barrel spending. I didn't check it out but if you can prove he did I'll accept it. I don't know. One thing I do know it wasn't a million dollars a day. So please don't act like O is innocent of pork barrel. So yes I am flipping out.
default_wink.png

Bassett - when you present "facts" like that please supply a link to help support them - just throwing it out there and saying I don't know means nothing - or demonstrates that you do not care what the truth may be, I am not sure.

I would call a million dollars a day for every day he was in office a little excessive on the pork barrel spending. Wouldn't you?
Yes I would - if they had all gone through. Maybe I missed something. Link, please? Or maybe there are even more big projects somewhere in Illinois... like other big projects that may have gone on in other states? I have seen all his earmark requests on his website... but they were not all approved... if they total up to that, so be it. It's out in the open.

From what I have heard John McCain has never asked for a dollar in pork barrel spending. I didn't check it out but if you can prove he did I'll accept it. I don't know.
You need to check it out. If McCain has been in office all these years and never had any pork barrel spending go on... well, I doubt that can be said of any politician. JMO.

You do realize that they BOTH voted for tha huge bailout - that had all kinds of pork attached to it in order to get more support??

And yes Pepipony - I tend to agree that if Obama had gone to any kind of a religious event on taxpayers' money - there would be finger-pointing here.

I am glad some can shrug off a mere $13,000. That is a small fortune to me... some Alaskans may feel that way, too...

Bassett = when you present "facts" like that please supply a link to help support them - just throwing it out there and saying I don't means nothing - or demonstartes that you do not care what thr turh may be, I am not sure.
I told you I didn't look it up and I'm not going to. All I know is if he did it was not a million dollars a day. You don't have to be smart to know that. If you want to know look it up or don't read my posts or comments. You always say the same thing anyway.

If you pull up any facts I would not pooh pooh them. Where did you ever get that idea? I already said I would accept it. I guess you missed that part. Huh?

And as for the million a day Obama has never denied it. He just smirks when someone says it.
default_wacko.png

I told you I didn't look it up and I'm not going to. All I know is if he did it was not a million dollars a day. You don't have to be smart to know that.
Bassett - what does the part I bolded mean. That I am stupid if I do not "know" that? *confused*

I only asked you to supply a link to help me understand your opinion or see the truth behind it - that was all.

If you pull up any facts I would not pooh pooh them. Where did you ever get that idea? I already said I would accept it. I guess you missed that part. Huh?
No - I did not miss that part. And I edited out that bit as I was not sure who is the biggest pooh-pooher any more... but facts have just been a source of merriment to some..

If you want to know look it up or don't read my posts or comments. You always say the same thing anyway.
Yes - I say the same thing all right - FACTS, PLEASE.
default_unsure.png
Or as close as we can get to same.

I prefer discussion based on some degree of facts that can be examined and discussed - not just any comment tossed out there.

Who knew that was wrong...
default_no.gif

sounds like some of you have no problem of your choice of poitician to spend taxpayers money unlawfully but just hate to see a dollar go to some poor veteran on the street! Palin is being paid for a job and for her to be among the independent ones she needs to use that money for things which do not pertain to her job....

"Pork Barrell Spending http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/st...7914&page=1

McCain charged that Obama was guilty of driving up pork barrel spending -- government spending on programs that benefit his state of Illinois. McCain said, "While we were working to eliminate these pork barrel earmarks, he voted for nearly a billion dollars in pork barrel earmark projects including, by the way, $3 million for an overhead projector at a planetarium in Chicago, Ill."

TRUE: In July 2007, Obama requested a $3 million earmark for the Adler Planetarium to repair the 40-year-old projector to the Sky Theater, as detailed on his Web site.

AND FALSE: As to the first part of the claim, that Obama voted for nearly a billion dollars in pork barrel earmark projects, any senator, including McCain, who casts a vote to pass spending bills, in effect, votes for far more than that.

But if McCain misspoke and meant to say that Obama requested nearly a billion in earmarks, he's not even close. According to the Citizens Against Government Waste's annual Pig Book for 2008 Appropriations, Obama requested 53 earmarks worth a total of $97.4 million."

According to this site he didn't request (notice it doesn't say voted for but asked for) $100M.

I'm only posting this to try to put a stop (or at least put some breaks on) this ridiculous incessant arguing that just keeps going on and on and on and.......

Thank you very much, Appylover - I appreciate the facts.

I'll try to add to them later on tonight.
default_smile.png

Pig Book for 2008 Appropriations
I love that ^^^^ - good for them!

Obama, on his Web site, has listed every earmark he’s requested – but not necessarily received – as a U.S. senator. It totals $931.3-million.

McCain is also correct that it comes to nearly a million dollars for every day that Obama’s been in the United States Senate, provided you include just working days.

The math goes like this: Obama was elected in 2004 and took office January 3, 2005. Since then, there have been about 930 working days, as they are defined by most people, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, which would mean McCain would be completely right if he had specified working days.

Technically, Obama's been "in Congress" for more than 1,350 days, if you count weekends. So how many points do you take off for McCain not saying "every working day"? Not many. We say this claim is Mostly True.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/743/

YOU decide...
default_rolleyes.gif

Palin's earmark requests: more per person than any other state

GOP vice presidential candidate Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin touts her record as a reformer who worked to end the "abuses of earmark spending in Congress." But Palin has embraced earmarks from early on in her career as a mayor of Wasilla to the governor's mansion in Juneau. Just this year she sent to Sen. Ted. Stevens a proposal for 31 earmarks totaling $197 million — more, per person, than any other state.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nati...ebpalin02m.html

For Palin, some pork is kosher

Last year, when a Juneau Pentecostal church asked the Alaska state government for cash for a new youth center, Gov. Sarah Palin, who had recently started worshipping at the church, vetoed the legislative appropriation from the capital budget, explaining it was “not a state responsibility.”

But by the time this year’s budget negotiations rolled around, Palin had become very involved in the Juneau Christian Center, attending an increasing number of services there, touring the youth center with her family, citing the pastor as among her spiritual guides, and appearing with the pastor at a Martin Luther King Day celebration and a religious conference where he laid hands on her while praying.

During this year’s capital budget writing process, Palin penned a letter to lawmakers “in support of the Juneau Christian Center’s new state-of-the-art youth center,” and she approved $25,000 for the center in May, even as she sparked a backlash from officials around the state for slashing spending from projects they deemed crucial to their areas.

Her reversal on the church funding is one small example of what both her critics and supporters in both parties in Alaska say is a trend in Palin’s political track record: She supports spending taxpayer cash on initiatives that tickle her fancy, even as she rails against funding for other — sometimes similar — projects and does little to slow overall government spending.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14471.html

Thanks littlesteppers. Just goes to show that even those sites that provide the "truth" have conflicting information.

Kinda sorta gives me the idea that maybe we taxpayers are being treated like mushrooms.

Thanks littlesteppers. Just goes to show that even those sites that provide the "truth" have conflicting information.
Kinda sorta gives me the idea that maybe we taxpayers are being treated like mushrooms.
YUP!!!
default_laugh.png
default_saludando.gif

How much did he actually receive????? If he were working for your State and was trying to get money for your State projects

would you still be against his trying.??????. Isn't that why we elect people to represent us.. ???????

How much did he actually receive????? If he were working for your State and was trying to get money for your State projectswould you still be against his trying.??????. Isn't that why we elect people to represent us.. ???????
For the state? Usaully earmarks are VERY personal..like building a road for a property YOU own..or have a train go somewhere where it profits YOU..

Or GIVE money to the hospital where your wife works

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/14/us/polit...14campaign.html

Latest posts

Back